Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > HPI Monster Truck Forum
Reload this Page >

before you get excited about the FLUX Savage...

Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

before you get excited about the FLUX Savage...

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 08:23 PM
MadManAndrew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: before you get excited about the FLUX Savage...

alright, I get it...
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 PM
ea77

why argue this point?

just buy both. a electric and nitro. problem solved.
Old 12-20-2008, 02:51 AM
g-townmach

arancioc5 is gay.. as in likes boyzzz
Old 12-20-2008, 04:05 AM
naynay12

Anyone know if there will be a conversion kit for the nitro savage to flux savagew?
Also anyone know where you can but esc and brushless motor from somewhere else like an online store?
Old 12-20-2008, 10:37 AM
quadracer111
My Feedback: (1)

Google is your friend! Here i even googled that for you!
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=+brushless+savage+conversion
Old 12-20-2008, 11:53 AM
IvanG

lol ***? thats neat@!
Old 12-20-2008, 12:47 PM
black mamba

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: naynay12

Anyone know if there will be a conversion kit for the nitro savage to flux savagew?
Also anyone know where you can but esc and brushless motor from somewhere else like an online store?
I don't know if HPI is going to offer one at this point in time because that would obviously cut into Flux sales, but there is a place that sells a BL kit and even brand new, fully converted BL nitro savages (and 5Bs). Be forewarned, these conversions are not cheap. The HPI Flux is cheaper.

http://www.finedesignrc.com/ct-hpi-hotbodies-.asp
Old 12-20-2008, 05:57 PM
rclugnut10

i sure HPI will seeing as they now sell all the parts to make your truck XL spec with like 5 stock #'s if that... including updated plastics and metal spur... but yeah i bet a kit will come out,

and the esc and motor are based off/are rebagged versions of castle creations monster max...

the lug
Old 12-21-2008, 03:45 AM
black mamba

I doubt HPI would release a BL kit to retro fit a nitro Savage so close to the release of the Flux, but I'm sure they will in the future. I think we will see a SS version of the XL before we get anything else Flux related. Just my opinion.

edited for clarification
Old 12-21-2008, 02:12 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: gravediggerracing

I doubt HPI would release a BL kit so close to the release of the Flux, but I'm sure they will in the future. I think we will see a SS version of the XL before we get a BL Flux kit. Just my opinion.
yeah tru tho i don't think were ever gunna get a full truck kit for Bl but maybe a conversion... but def an XL kit before before a conversion kit...

the lug
Old 12-21-2008, 03:52 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: bzinfinity

No matter how fast or how insane brushless stuff might be, Nitro is still cooler. Any day of the week.

Almost anyone that has both will admit to that if they are being honest with themselves.

Sure, the BL can beat my truck in a dead heat, but if you pull out the truck in front of a crowd of people, which one will draw more attention?
This post is a general statement and not singled at any one person.

People still don't understand. A properly set up brushless system will and does have similar run-times to nitro. Match the brushless system to the R/C and your battery and watch what run-times can be. A single Lipo cost me $150. That is right about 4 gallons of nitro fuel. Best run-time I ever got was my modded S-25 in my X SS at just 30mins on a stock tank. Big-blocks do not last nearly that long in general. So will you run out of fuel before the Lipo needs replacing? Yes indeed. The cost debate here is quickly becoming a non-issue. Batteries will decrease in price and nitro will continue to increase. And you should have a decent charger to begin with...nitro or not. Hyperion sells fantastic chargers for great prices that charge everything.

And the same for battery chemistry...good MiMH cells will have very similar *punch* to the Lipo's. Fact...end of debate. People absolutely LOVE the A123 cells, but having used them and compared to others that cell chemistry is complete crap aside from safe super-fast charging. I sell custom battery packs as a side job...but don't listen to me I don't know anything. hehe

Which RC will draw more attention?? My brushless Savage that makes no noise, yet can easily clear the triple with a blip of the throttle and not a running start. Stop fooling yourself...the electric is so much cooler for the crowds.

I have owned SO many R/C's over the last 20yrs that I just can't even remember anymore. I love wrenching on all R/C's (including my nitro's) and there is NO lack of clean-up on an electric after a long A-Main...promise you that.

Do I agree on the coolness factor of nitro? Yes I sure do, but just stinkin' drop the debate and let people choose what they like and stop telling them they are wrong just for choosing other than you.

The original post wasn't even about the Flux Savage, but rather charger price and battery price. I've thoroughly looked into the Flux Savage and aside from Castle producing the ESC/motor I am not impressed. It seems to me like a race to market forgetting all the things we'd like to see in a Savage like adjustable shocks...and not having to upgrade to the big-bores for extra money. Those stock wheels aren't the tires I'd use on a 60mph capable monster truck...and the diff gears still aren't changed. Too many things lacking for me to drop that kinda money. What sealed it for me are the out-board battery trays which I personally despise the look of. My opinion...it's gonna destroy drivetrain parts.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:00 PM
go-to
My Feedback: (2)

I don't know if HPI is going to offer one at this point in time because that would obviously cut into Flux sales, but there is a place that sells a BL kit and even brand new, fully converted BL nitro savages (and 5Bs). Be forewarned, these conversions are not cheap. The HPI Flux is cheaper.

Just to add info here...there are other options besides FineDesign (which is top-notch of course). FLM sells a good conversion kit, as do other places like Kershaw designs. All are of very high quality with different methods of accomplishing your conversion goal.

You can build your own BL Savage with FLM parts cheaper than the Flux will initially sell for.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:03 PM
black mamba

Some people are missing the point that HPI is actually giving us a BL 1/8th scale Savage. That shows that they are indeed listening to us.
Old 12-21-2008, 05:08 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

I doubt HPI would release a BL kit so close to the release of the Flux, but I'm sure they will in the future. I think we will see a SS version of the XL before we get a BL Flux kit. Just my opinion.
yeah tru tho i don't think were ever gunna get a full truck kit for Bl but maybe a conversion... but def an XL kit before before a conversion kit...

the lug
A factory conversion would be sweet! And if they offered a XL BL Flux RTR or even a BL XL retro-fit kit, HPI would have all the bases covered. Now it's time for Losi to do something.................................[8D]
Old 12-21-2008, 05:34 PM
rclugnut10

ORIGINAL: go-to

The original post wasn't even about the Flux Savage, but rather charger price and battery price. I've thoroughly looked into the Flux Savage and aside from Castle producing the ESC/motor I am not impressed. It seems to me like a race to market forgetting all the things we'd like to see in a Savage like adjustable shocks...and not having to upgrade to the big-bores for extra money. Those stock wheels aren't the tires I'd use on a 60mph capable monster truck...and the diff gears still aren't changed. Too many things lacking for me to drop that kinda money. What sealed it for me are the out-board battery trays which I personally despise the look of. My opinion...it's gonna destroy drivetrain parts.
i'm more impressed with that fact that HPI has a solid truck that will give the new e-revo BL edition competion, as well as give people cheaper ways to get a popular BL system, as well as the big bores, yeah that rubber is definetllal not up to 60 mph hpi even says you need their phaltline tires and rims to run at 60... i think it'll just be a great truck that is just as capable of keeping up with a nitro, while keeping e-dudes happy...

the lug

Old 12-21-2008, 06:48 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: go-to

Just to add info here...there are other options besides FineDesign (which is top-notch of course). FLM sells a good conversion kit, as do other places like Kershaw designs. All are of very high quality with different methods of accomplishing your conversion goal.

You can build your own BL Savage with FLM parts cheaper than the Flux will initially sell for.
The FLM and Kershaw kits look good. It all works out to the same amount of $$$$$$$$$$, give or take, when all is said and done, whether you go Kershaw, FD or FLM. [8D]
Old 12-22-2008, 02:38 AM
5AVAG3
Banned

How I see it.....Electric RC is like driving an automatic transmission car......and Nitro is driving a manual.

You can drive either way...I prefer a manual as it is more fun for me.

I've driven automatics before, I don't own an automatic car, because i hear you grow man boobs.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:47 PM
black mamba

Brushless is like a paddle shifted, electronically actuated clutch, manual tranny setup and nitro is like a short throw shifter shifted, foot actuated clutch, manual tranny setup.

The only advantage nitro has over brushless, in my opinion, is a somewhat realistic sound. That's not to say brushless is exactly quiet though......it does have a unique (and cool) sound to it.

Enough of that though, let's just sit back and watch brushless make it's mark on 1/8th scale MT next month.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:13 PM
rclugnut10

yeah, i think people are afraid of BL replacing nitro, i'm not, so quite whining that it will, come on people, and i'm betting its only a matter of time before 4 strokes become more popular cuz of the sound (GDR ), the economy, and low end punch, i think the top end will come with time, so i'm not worried about a BL take over, lets face the fact technology will only get better, in both the nitro and electric area's and we can't expect them to go at the same rate so let the other catch up...

the lug
Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 AM
naynay12

When is it expected to come out and for what price?
Old 12-23-2008, 12:26 PM
tklemin

well I switched to BL because I hate tuning in cold weather and I play indoors during the winter. I love nitro and electric for different reasons. For nitro its the smells, the loud pipe and the sound of it shifting. Not to mention 10 second fill-ups without killing the engine. For electric is the awesome torque, incredible speeds and when your done its only turn off the switch, disconnect battery and charge later. Its also nice not to have a dirty sticky mess at the end of the season. I totally plan on putting it back to nitro during the summer even though I'll be giving up some power. In my opinion HPI should have used the XL chassis instead. Its alot easier to do a BL conversion. Plus you get the beefier drivetrain and better wheelbase. As far as the debate over lipo vs nimh I prefer lipo and get them around 80 per pack. It is more exspensive than nimh especially after buying a balancer and correct charger. Although I run with friends that have 16.8 E-maxx's using nimh and they love them. I know they arent BL trucks, but there pretty quick for brushed-nimh. Going into the BL-lipo world to me in electric power is equivalent to nitro guys running high dollar motors with $100 pipes on 33%. Electric is going to win the race untill they have to change batts and the nitro guy refills and passes them. I hope the race is short.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sp45238.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	1095042   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16052.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1095043   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ag91462.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	1095044   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50166.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1095045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ju12936.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	1095046  
Old 12-23-2008, 02:30 PM
Yub, yub, cmdr!

Wow, that's a good fit on the LiPos!
Old 04-27-2009, 10:23 PM
sharkattack99

were do you get the FLM kits? web site so i can check it out im converting my x 4.6 to BL. nitro just isn't for me.

now i use my 3 speed tranny will it shift with BL? or am i just going to ruin my 3 speed tranny?
Old 04-27-2009, 11:30 PM
Freezetron

Old 04-27-2009, 11:38 PM
TAKZILLA

what's up with that?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.