Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Rossi .53 for speed??

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Rossi .53 for speed??

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 12:42 PM
SpeedBoy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rossi .53 for speed??

ORIGINAL: scoeroo

Speedboy,

I should be back home some time around thanks giving ( currently out on a project ) if you can hangout till then I will give you the low down with pics when I tweak another rossi that I've recently purchased.
Yeaa for sure !!! [8D] its perfect to me [sm=thumbup.gif] .

I'll be pending for you info .

Many thanks scoeroo .

Old 11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
lfinney
My Feedback: (44)

your rossi .53 fan engine has higher timing out of the box, than the side exhaust. if you look in the exhaust port you should see the top of the exhaust port on the sleeve flush with the top of the case. leave the head as is, its got lower compression for higher nitro use as is. the sleeve has different port count than the side exhaust .53
Old 12-21-2008, 08:21 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the Rossi 53 and just ran her in, got only 1/2 a gallon of Byron 5% semi synthetic (16% oil) through her. Ran it in with a 10x4 as I could not get a 9x6. After 1/2 a gallon she would peak at 19,200 RPM. Hope to finish another 1/2 gallon tomorrow morning!
Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Julian537
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: tIANci

I got the Rossi 53 and just ran her in, got only 1/2 a gallon of Byron 5% semi synthetic (16% oil) through her. Ran it in with a 10x4 as I could not get a 9x6. After 1/2 a gallon she would peak at 19,200 RPM. Hope to finish another 1/2 gallon tomorrow morning!
What muffler are you running?
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 PM
tIANci

Julian ... the stock banana muffler that comes with it as a set ... am I suppose to get more RPM? I did not really try to push the motor past 19,200 RPM, it was screaming so loud I thought something would break.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:11 PM
still4given

Be careful turning that 10x4 that high. It's not designed for those RPM's.
Old 12-21-2008, 11:18 PM
tIANci

Okay ... I will keep the 10x4 to about 18K only and get a proper prop, maybe a CF one from APC. Just a little query, I have not bothered with the LSN at the moment but I think should be able to complete the running in today. I would like to know how well the Rossi 53 idles and transits. Is it as smooth as say a 46AX or the TT46? I had the Rossi 45 and the idle was so so but the mid range/transition really sucked. Just want to know what to expect so I need not mess about so much with the LSN. Thanks guys!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 03:25 AM
SpeedBoy

Hey tIANci good to know you have the Rossi 53 already .

Regarding the LSN , in my case I've never had a hard time with it , just needed a small adjusts in 4 years now , even after having it running at 2200 RPM (aprox.) for 90 seconds the transition is immediately to full throttle . Yes similar to the OS BUT with much more power Ohh yeaa [8D].

Just curios wich Rossi 53 you have , the one with red head or the one with silver head wich also has a bigger venturi ???
Old 12-22-2008, 04:14 AM
tIANci

SpeedBoy ... its the red one ... I dare not imagine if the venturi is bigger! Heheheehee ... am going off to run another half a gallon through her and see how the idle gets ... here is are a couple of pics of the run in yesterday ... no worries about the test bench, it weighs in at about 30 lbs! So far the guys at the field have tolerated the running in.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14002.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	1094268   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66237.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1094269  
Old 12-22-2008, 06:40 AM
tIANci

Finally put another 5 tanks through the Rossi 53 today. I put on a 10x6 for the last tank. Opened up the LSN about 3/4 turn and I tell you this baby can purr like a kitten! Its got that throaty tone. Nothing beats the idling of an Italian engine. It reminds me of the car engines.

The transition is sweet and crisp. Peak RPM at the moment on the 10x6 with Byron 5% is 15,650 RPM. Not bad at all when you consider that it will hold that RPM for a good 6 mins. I wonder what sort of RPM I can get if I were to put on a Jett Stream muffler?
Old 12-22-2008, 10:50 AM
scoeroo

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Hey "T"

If you still want that baby tweaked let me know and we will arrange somthing,

No worries
Old 12-22-2008, 11:09 AM
tIANci

Roo-man ... thanks for the offer and I think I will take you up on it. I want to test her out on the stock muffler first and then the Jett Stream. Just sent Dub an email and will see how it goes. This is getting outta hand, this is why I gave up nitro touring cars! Oh man ... I am in trouble.

I now am looking for a plane for the Rossi 53 and will probably test it out on my pal's brand new Shrike, I am waiting for the builder to let me know if its built strong enough but at 15,500 RPM on a 10x6 I doubt it will be a bullet. Hmmmm ... maybe the Super Sportster will survive ...
Old 12-22-2008, 12:41 PM
scoeroo

Why don't you stick it in a viper ?

Slight modification to the mounting plate is all it requires,

Trust me , you will not be sorry , this plane will let that engine do what it was made to do, 150 mph !!!!!!!

The pipe you want from Dub is the pylon pipe, it has a resonant mode at 19,000 to 20,000 rpm , this is the pipe I use on my 53
Old 12-22-2008, 09:29 PM
tIANci

Why don't you stick it in a viper ?

Slight modification to the mounting plate is all it requires,

Trust me , you will not be sorry , this plane will let that engine do what it was made to do, 150 mph !!!!!!!

The pipe you want from Dub is the pylon pipe, it has a resonant mode at 19,000 to 20,000 rpm , this is the pipe I use on my 53
The Viper is being assembled as we speak, I seen one with a mere MVVS45 and mini pipe, that was fairly quick. When you mention pylon pipe ... which one issit? I only see 1 model for the Jett Stream, do you mean the Ultra Thrust? If its the Ultra Thrust I am trying to figure it out, seen the stats here and wonder why the vast variation from muffler to muffler for different props, some mufflers fair better on a heavier load and some on lighter ...

[link=http://Test Data]http://rossienginesusa.us/SGME/images/z_misc/Rossi_Test_Q40.pdf[/link]
Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM
scoeroo

"

"T"

Dub makes a pylon pipe for the higher revving engines,

The ulta thrust or jett thrust are for the 16,000rpm range engines , this pipe is designed to resonate at this rpm give or take a 1000,

But the pylon pipes from Dub opperate at a higher resonant 19,500 rpm and above , port timeing has alot to do with getting an enginge to sing.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:33 AM
tIANci

Roo Man ... thanks for the tip ... lemme check it out. I ran the Rossi with a 8.8 x 7.75, was a little low on sunlight so I used a torch to tach her, it read 17,250 RPMs ... I wonder if it is correct, will run her again tomorrow and double check on it. I just found out my pal runs his Viper on the MVVS Q40 engine and he has glassed the firewall and nothing is loose. So test aircraft will be the Viper.
Old 12-25-2008, 08:30 AM
tIANci

Merry Christmas guys!!! Wanna ask something ... castor based fuel is really messy and I was wondering if 100% synthetic fuel would be ok for a high performance engine? Anyone who runs at such RPM uses it?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:18 AM
Petrovsky

Can't beat a tweeked rossi,

I turn a 8.8x8.75 at 19200 rpm on the ground, my viper is good for 150+ mph.

You got to lift the exhaust timing - open the exhaust all the way- then stick a Jett pylon/racing short pipe with adapter, you may want to consider smoothing the exhaust transition in the adapter as I did on mine.

Next thing is get a 45 head and swap out the 53 , the 45 head has higher compresion, ( I have many rossi parts to mix and match )

Now get a carby off Jett with the largest ventury possible , I think mine was a 12 mm from memory, this will let the air in and still give you a good idle.

Plug is a siggp002 tuned pipe , sigg products and they are $6 bucks or so,

Fuel is 5% coolpower,

All this will wake your rossi up , I've been playing with these things for years and are a powerhouse engine if worked over.

My viper is for fun only , gave up racing due to the politics - that takes all the fun out of things.

Have fun .
Some more power mods....:
If you have access to EDM facilities, have the crank bore opened out to 11mm (or even 12mm if you are brave!) The crank OD is 17mm so there is lots of meat.
Smooth out the intake port window of the crank with some careful grinding.
Grind a "flute" into the crankshaft web area.
Then, have a Nelson plug head button made for the engine- Henry Nelson makes blanks for that purpose.

Have fun indeed!
P
Old 12-28-2008, 12:25 AM
Petrovsky

ORIGINAL: tIANci

Merry Christmas guys!!! Wanna ask something ... castor based fuel is really messy and I was wondering if 100% synthetic fuel would be ok for a high performance engine? Anyone who runs at such RPM uses it?
IMHO you can go to a high proportion of synthetic but retain at least 5% castor in the mix as it gives protection: http://www.go-cl.se/castor.html

P
Old 12-28-2008, 02:08 AM
tIANci

Thanks a lot, guess all that sort of info has trickled down to today as castor is 'best' does have some truth when you are running at high temp. Guess I will just do my best to keep the engine clean and stick with semi synth at the least. Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:13 PM
scoeroo

I use nothing but cool power 5% nitro , NO CASTOR , castor makes to much mess on the casings and if let build up tomuch will restrict externtal cooling, castor also causes to much internal crap build up which can lead to detonation / pre ignition issues.
Looking at the pics of the motor running it has way too much oil content "CASTOR"

I prefer to run only 2% castor in a ringed engine,

But don't forget - every one has their own opinion on what to run
Old 12-28-2008, 09:27 PM
tIANci

Roo man ... thanks for the info, at least I know it will happily run on synth fuel. I have always run all my engines on Cool Power synth fuel but never owned something in the high performance range. I agree that the castor really messes things up, the internal bits gets gunky too.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:40 PM
Petrovsky

castor also causes to much internal crap
I have to agree with that- Using castor does mean additional maintenance in the form of regular devarnishing. The F2C team race guys have to do this after every day's racing if they want to remain competitive!

P
Old 12-29-2008, 05:14 AM
tIANci

Guess I will test out on 100% synth and see what sort of temperatures I get ...