Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > Electric RC Jets
Reload this Page >

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Jets Discuss rc electric ducted fan or radio control prop jets here.

***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 09:15 AM
bearcatf8
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ***** New E Flite F16 400 DF (Thunderbird Scheme) *****

I guess this thread is Dead !
Old 12-12-2008, 02:44 PM
DNCrosby

Not at all, I got my Alpha EDF Yesterday form Hobby Lobby, as well as my 60 AMP Esc, and I'm going to a friends or China(Harbor) Freight, and get a drill press to drill out the center portion to make a hole appropriate for the shaft of the motor (Insert Sex Joke here), and I plan on flying this weekend...
From most people who have done the heart transplant have reported that they're very happy with the airframe, just the stock motor blows (Pun).

-Derek
Old 12-13-2008, 01:21 AM
WildBlueYawnder

The threads not dead. I check it daily. People have just run out of things to complain about. Those with motor issues replaced them. Those disappointed with Horizons response to the problems moved on. Those with other planes to work on are working on them (me).
Old 12-13-2008, 09:56 PM
wtmcgehee

Is there a noticeable difference of speed with the landing gear off on the F-16. I just installed the Hyperion engine and it is fast but still not the speed that I am looking for. My next step it try a 4 cell lipo and than a 40 amp speed controller. I love having the landing gear on. Touch and goes are one of my favorit things to do with this jet but if it is a noticeable increase I will take them off.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:05 AM
DNCrosby

So I got my Alpha, and my Drill Press, and a set of reamers (Thread Creators) and I threaded the spinner, on the fan, and the shaft of the motor... I figured with some thread lock this will be a more "Balanced" approach, than just drilling a hole and sticking the fan on with CF... it also lets me remove it should it get damaged, and need replacing, without having to remove the motor... and break the glue...

Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
DNCrosby

So Another Flight this weekend, with the Alpha Unit.....
I just don't know, I'll have to look again at the balancing of the prop (Impeller) but this thing refuses to move like a jet, more like a Sick Dodo....
It's really frustrating, I might just try and install the HET Fan unit with a (Hoffman Magnetics) wild beast or something else, but as you can see from my wife's semi decent cinematography that it just refuses to take off, and even in the air has very little thrust, the entire climb was at 100% power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw35v...e=channel_page
Old 12-15-2008, 09:24 PM
WildBlueYawnder

DNCrosby - something to ponder. I have the Alfa A-F Skyhawk and it flies great at 16 oz. flying weight with the Alfa fan. The E-Flite F-16 has around a 26 oz. flying weight with the gear installed and maybe more depending on the battery choice. What motor did you use with the fan? Was it sized for a 26+ ounce plane?

I'm certainly no expert on EDF mods. I have five EDF's (Eflite SuperAirliner, F-16, BAe Hawk, Alfa A-4 and Starmax F9F Panther). I fly them all stock and they all have their own quirks and limitations. Someday when I have more EDF experience and more "need for speed" I'll upgrade the stock setups (except for the BAe Hawk of course since 100+ on 4 cells seems to be the norm).

This will sound like criticism and it's not intended that way but looking at your video shortly after liftoff the F-16 is pulled into a very high angle of attack and nearly stalls. In my opinion the E-Flite F-16 is not powered for vertical or nearly vertical flight right after liftoff. Consider being a little more gentle on the elevator until you build up more airspeed. I hand launch my F-16 and it drops slightly in altitude until I get enough airspeed. I'm pretty conservative on the elevator until airspeed has built up.

I hope you achieve satisfaction with your F-16 soon. I'm happy with mine on the stock motor for now (maybe I lucked out and got the one good motor).
Old 12-16-2008, 02:20 AM
DNCrosby

A couple of updates / notes...
I'm running a Mighty Mite from Hoffman Magnetics, which according to them should net me around 2lbs of thrust. with the alpha.
After discussing the situation with them, I was told due to the Alpha Fan unit being smaller than the stock fan in circumference, I needed a inlet "lip" to smooth out the airflow... which is something I'm going to get / do, and I'll update the thread.

The other thing is that if you look at my previous attempt at a takeoff, it ended up almost cart rolling, because I didn't give it enough elevator, and I was running out of runway, and didn't want to jeopardize my flight by hitting a bump or doing something else. I was also under the "Assumption" that this combo would about double my thrust from stock, and assumed that vertical would be a non-issue. So I over compensated and took off too soon, and with too much elevator. I believe on my return, I'll choose the tarmac (Main Runway Paved), as it's been my most successful takeoff.

The video is also by no means a great example of my flying prowess, but of the lack of power of the Fan / Motor combo I chose. Hopefully with some help from the motor manufacturer, and tips from people like yourself I'll be able to get her to the flight envelope I had expected from an F-16.

In the mean time I'm conceding to get a Phase 3, to train and have fun with as this plane is rapidly accelerating my hair loss , Not to say I'm giving up on this Jet, as it looks much better in my opinion than the Phase 3, but it's not a hanger queen, so it needs to be able to perform as well, at some time, before I bury it nose first in the ground.

I also don't like to admit defeat, which I'm not doing at this time, but want to keep this situation updated. To further educate people following in my footsteps, as others have with their projects. Which is a valuable resource of information of what works and what does not, and I believe part of the purpose of these forums.

-Derek
Old 12-16-2008, 11:20 AM
WildBlueYawnder

OK. Keep up the good work. Like I said, sometimes it's hard to point something out without seeming critical. I'm sure you'll find a solution that makes you happy. If you're looking for something fun and fast the Starmax F9F Panther is a really cool looking plane. I got mine at Hobby Lobby. I've had more fun with it than I can imagine just working on detailing (cockpit, etc.). The engineering is very good and the parts fit together like a high quality 3D jigsaw puzzle. The Phase 3 looks good on their videos too. Have fun!
Old 12-16-2008, 12:46 PM
WildBlueYawnder

Here's a look at the Starmax F9F Panther and the E-Flite F-16. They're pretty similar in size. The closeups of the wing show the excellent engineering work and how the parts are molded so there's only one way they can go together. It's an very nice model. I really like the somewhat concealed inlets in the wing (the long duct tube isn't a part of the airframe structure like the F-16). The Panther also has a very generously sized screw on access hatch for the motor and fan which I wish the F-16 had.

I need to rent "The Bridges at Toko Ri" now so I can see the real one in "simulated" action.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73889.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	120.5 KB
ID:	1090835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77685.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	1090836   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc94159.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	127.4 KB
ID:	1090837   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18554.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1090838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35292.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	1090839  
Old 12-16-2008, 03:16 PM
DNCrosby

I really like the panther, the issue I've had is that I get stuff that "Looks" cool (Panther Included) but flies like garbage (Panther Excluded) and so I opted for phase 3 for 2 reasons:
1) The Guys that supposedly "Flies" the panther at my airfiled is always flying something else.
2) Most people that have F-16's, have the Phase 3... so i figure with that much expertise, and flying time, I'll have to really screw something up in the build for it to be a Dog...

I finally want to have as much fun with EDF as I've had with Prop Par Fliers like the Fokker Dr1, and the ParkZone F4U Corsair. But so far EDF was a bust for me... Crossing fingers for the future...
Old 12-16-2008, 09:08 PM
WildBlueYawnder

The Phase 3 should be a good choice from what I hear. It seems to fly real good but I held off since it has only elevons and no ailerons. Thats really no issue since my Stryker flies great with just elevons. I may end up with one of the Phase 3's before long. I also like my Parkzone Corsair.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:39 PM
leejkw

Can I order just the decals for this bird, I did'nt see them listed in the parts list on the horizon site.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Sam77

No, I don't think you can order up the decals.

I'm still hoping that Horizon will start offering just the airframe and let us stuff our own gear in it - they'll have a winner for certain.

-Sam
Old 12-22-2008, 12:35 AM
kable21

well, things were just fine, had roughly 15 flights the plane flew great on the upgraded power set up till today on the first flight about 2 minutes into the flight I was flying perfectly level and started to progress into a roll then instantly my battery separated from the plane lost its center of gravity and I pile drove that P.O.S right into the ground now its a bag of foam looks like she may have seen its last days of flying because I'm done sinking money into it.
Old 12-22-2008, 10:19 AM
wtmcgehee

Did you use velcro to hold the battery in?
Old 12-24-2008, 08:43 PM
Sam77

All of my battery packs fit in nice and snug - even with the velcro. I had to use a bit of hot glue to get the velcro to lock in as it gets a bit warm in there - but even when my canopy has popped off, my battery has remained in place. Sorry to hear about your wreck, man.

For the folks who upgraded to the Hyperion powerplant - how's it treating you? I've been snowed in, so I've only had a chance to fly it a few times.

-Sam
Old 12-29-2008, 03:06 PM
DNCrosby

Talking to Hoffman Magnetics, and they're great as far as offering up support ! The Mighty mite Burned Up, something wrong with the ESC, but after I added ducting to the alpha, and an intake ring sold @ http://www.rchobbyintl.com/index.php...mart&Itemid=69 for the Alpha, and it seemed like it had a lot more power right up to the point the motor melted... Thankfully on the runway !

From my Automotive Tuning Days "You never make more HP, than just before the motor lets go !"

So Hoffman has been great they're taking a look at the motor, and sending a replacement, and with new Castle 80 Amp ESC (Just In Case) I'll try it one last time, if it doesn't make it, it's going up for sale (Airframe Only), and I'll concentrate on the next EDF disaster (my SR-71) with dual Mighty Mites... BUAHAHAHA !!!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:56 PM
bearcatf8

Has anyone gotten a replacement plane or other items from Horizon ? Lately ?
Old 01-03-2009, 05:14 AM
DNCrosby

I never tried... as I didn't think a "weak" motor was a valid reason to return a plane, and by the time I knew what it could fly like with a proper motor... it's been so modified... what would I want, or want them to do ?

Anyhow... Status Update....

So I flew her today, and even though she didn't have unlimited vertical, she had descent performance... I lost the cockpit hatch on my first hard level push, so I'm not certain that that helped the aerodynamics But it flew well, and had no hiccups... landing went well, and all in all it was a descent plane to fly, nothing spectacular, but my stock phase3 f16 still feels faster than the E-Flite... F16 but it doesn't have gear, and as heavy a speed control, and weight to balance it out

In the End what was used, Alpha Fan (Hobby Lobby The One with the Blue Blades as in the pictures above), Hoffman Magnetics Intake Lip see their site and follow link to RC Hobby International, Hoffman Magnetics Mighty Mite same site. Good assembly seems to be crucial, get locktite, for the spinner(metal and shaft of the motor metal) then once dry (let sit in sun / bake 140f) epoxy the blades to the metal spinner and let epoxy go through hole, and then secure screw, and cover with epoxy. Cover sparingly to avoid adding extra weight and causing an imbalance. Then Glue (CA) the spinner into place...

Alpha Fan ~$45
Hoffman Magentics Motor ~$75
Min 40 Amp ESC ~40
Thunder Tiger 4C 2200 mah Battery ($ I already forgot)

Lesson Learned to let others try a new plane, and then get my own (Priceless)

All in all valuable lessons learned... I must say the support from Hoffman Magnetics, was Pronominal !!!!! I'd assume had I lived back in Chicago E-flite might have been equally helpful, but then again, I wouldn't be able to fly anymore at this time of year and I have yet to see any company care as much about their product working with other people's airframes as they have... Truly an above the call of duty experience......
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 AM
bearcatf8

I got a replacement plane new in the box with the stock motor and all that. Now what ? Sell it , trade it,, fly(try) it ? Anyone going to Perry Ga. swap meet ?
Old 01-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Sam77

I'd get the stock motor the heck outta there. I'd love just to get the airframe for this jet. It flies so nice when it's powered by something other than the stock gear.

Dave E - can we please just get the bare airframe - without decals? There's so much potential for this thing.

-Sam
Old 01-07-2009, 11:05 AM
DNCrosby

Having tried numerous things (Thrust Tube, Inlet Lip, New Fan, new Motor) now and having flown the Phase3 with a Hoffman Motor, and it's stock 3 Bladed fan, and having to worry it's going to take the rear control surfaces off due to speed. And Having the same Hoffman Motor and an Alpha Fan with 4 Cells in the E-Flite, and getting what I call Acceptable speed out of it, makes me feel cheated....

I like the look of the E-Flite Much better, and it's a more detailed bird, but the fact is that even with all that it doesn't feel, and isn't as nimble, as a fighter jet should look / be. The Phase 3 on high rates is almost too maneuverable, as in it can do 180 degree turns in what looks to be 4 Lengths of its airframe. You risk a stall at that, but it can do that, even with high rates the E-Flite has trouble making quick turns, and looks cumbersome doing barrel rolls and loops.

On the up side, we had 10+ mph wind gusts here (Sun), and I took the E-Flite up, and it seemed like it struggled up wind, but was never severely affected by wind shear. The Phase 3 on the other hand also hand trouble going upwind, I actually flew it backwards once, strange sight for a "Jet" But it was severely affected by crosswinds.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:05 AM
Danielisbell

A buddy of mine bought the eflite Course Air RTF. It had the parkzone 1800mA 3s LiPo, and 25amp ESC. When he crashed it on a windy day, after my plea for him to wait for better weather, he went out and bought the F16. We used the ESC and battery from the Course Air to power the new bird. Honestly, it works GREAT! But it is too much airplane for him so he sold it to me. HAHA!!! Anyway, Id really like some longer flight time, but I know i can achieve that with more mA on a battery. But so far I've flown it at least a dozen times. I've noticed that after about 5 minutes, the motor begins to surge as it starts to loose power. But that really works great as a indication for me to think about bringing it down. I am no different then all of you in that I want MORE POWER. Id just love to pour the coals to it, and watch it climb strait up in the air without the fear of stalling. I guess my question is...

Should I buy a new battery NOW to achieve longer flights? Something like a 3s 2100mA or maybe even the 3s 3200mA? And continue until my motor eventually fries...as Im sure it will soon. Then upgrade the motor, fan, and ESC? Futhormore, when I do upgrade all that stuff, what would you guys recomend that I get? I have glanced over this entire thread. Ive seen all the different motors, EDFs, etc. But I'd kinda like an update on how all that stuff is working for you guys. Anyone out there, just completely satisfied with their upgrades? And if so, what are the components?

I really love this airplane. THis is NOT my first flying model, but IS my first EDF Jet. I wanna go FAST!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 PM
Danielisbell

OH NO!!! I had a little accident today. Tried to hand launch the F16 and I must have tossed it with a little too much nose high attitude. Even with my drastic down elevator on the contorls, she quickly ran out of air speed. Luckily it was only about 5 feet off the ground. I chopped the power, it stalled, and did a nose dive into the dirt. One missle broke off, and the plastic nose cone is in peices. I glued the missle back on. But now I got a stub nose F16 with no nose cone. Im so sad! [&o]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.