Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have this problem? Fear of flying in front of others?

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

Anyone else have this problem? Fear of flying in front of others?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:30 AM
retnavycdr
My Feedback: (190)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone else have this problem? Fear of flying in front of others?

Removed
Old 12-28-2008, 01:06 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Anyone else have this problem? Fear of flying in front of others?

Sometimes I get real nervous when flying my bigger planes around people.. I have had a hard time shaking it..This year I had an experience at a huge flyin with giant birds where I spotted for friends, it was a tight structured setup with pilots rotating in and out of the pilot box.. Constant take offs and landings.. 5 or 6 planes up in the 100 inch wing and larger size.... I was worn out and I didn't even fly ! I have no idea how someone can enjoy that... I am glad they do because I like going to watch at big events.. but I could never ever fly under those conditions...
Old 12-28-2008, 09:06 AM
pkevinb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get nervous flying in front of others, but it is mainly when maidening a plane or flying in front of new people. I imagine if I flew with a bunch of guys that were always criticizing my flying I would want to fly alone as well.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
chashint

I don't know if you really have a fear of flying in front of a crowd as much as you have a fear of flying in front of your club mates that have become critical of you.
It is impossible to judge from afar whether or not the criticism you have been getting is appropriate or not. In my club there are a couple of people that are very quick to criticize everyone else's flying when in fact they have no business saying anything about anybody. If this is the case in your situation a courteous public conversation to the affect of "knock it off" will probably take care of the problem. On the other hand if the people you respect are also whispering the same concerns then it is time to re-evaluate your solo flying abilities.
You have stated ... "I did lose a good portion of my fine motor skills, but really didn't crash much more than others in the club" ... it is hard to know what this really means.
The number of crashes is not the only gauge to go by, if everyone leaves the flight line and cowers in the shelter when you step up to the pilot's box maybe they have legitimate concerns, like I said it is impossible to judge from afar.
In any case it is time for you to be 100% honest with yourself on what your real flying abilities are at this point in your life.
This will be hard to do but in your own best interest you need to get an objective opinion about how others perceive your abilities.
Asking your wife or your friend is not good enough, they love you and they won't hurt you.
You will have to ask someone in the club that you respect, but are not close to, another retired person that may have a schedule compatible with yours would be ideal (if this person just happened to be an old crusty RC flight instructor that would be even better).
This person may not exist, but if they do seek them out privately and have a very frank talk with them.
Just tell them that you have overheard what is being said about you in the pit, and you feel like it is time to know if it has merit or if it is bologna.
Talking really means listening to and hearing what they have to say (yeah I know you said you were a retired officer so listening is not going to be you strong suit, so just pretend you are married to them and struggle through it).
Since you are self-described as "did lose a good portion of my fine motor skills" there is a pretty good chance that the person you have sought out will confirm that your flying abilities cause genuine concern. If this is the case, be ready for it and don't argue or defend yourself, remember you sought out someone you respect and asked for an honest evaluation.
Going with the theory that you did not get 4.0 in the eval, what do you do about it ????
Quit ... NO WAY ! That is too easy, you have to do something much harder, you have to ask for help.
Instructor or buddy ??? That is the question. Both have merit. Perhaps initially an instructor, that way you would get honest real time feedback and maybe they would even be able to help you relearn old tricks in a different way. Maybe a new relationship will be forged and maybe after a short while you might want to ask one of your buddies to assist.
If the people in the club are worth their salt all the 'whispers' will halt and it will turn into overwhelming support.
Good luck to you.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:18 AM
Live Wire

Rodger
To make a long story short , I is not you. Some not all people in this hobby like to intimmidate others so they can look big. I am in my 70's been in this hobby 60 years and have the same problem here. You learn to have a spotter or have you wife close to let you no what is going on around you.
being nervious is part of the great hobby, when you get to relaxed is when you start putting parts in plastic bags.
Not the best speller so bear with the post
Come down and see us some time (SMAA) we can spot for each other, not much out there to see but maybe we could fly together
Larry K

I does not only happen at he flying field [:@]
Old 12-28-2008, 10:21 AM
DavidAgar
My Feedback: (108)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You stated that the other club members were getting critical of your flying. What are they saying? Is your flying a safety concern or a club rules infraction? If it is none of these and just comments such as my landing was better than yours, just shine them on and enjoy the hobby. Every club has loud mouths and every club has critic's and yes every RC pilot gets nervous to an extent every time he flys, which can lead to some eractic looking flight, but that is the hobby. As I said, don't let a few ruin what you enjoy. Good Luck, Dave
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Live Wire

YES and don't let things get out of hand on a internet forum. That can and will be worse that any flying field.
BEEN THERE DONE that
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

I will be starting my 80th orbit around the sun in a few weeks. I know my flying skills are not what they use to be. To compensate I am flying planes more suited to my ability. You mentioned that you don't think you crash any more than others in the club. Are the crashes pilot error? Or were you flying when conditions were not suitable for your (perceived) diminished skill level? I have found that there are times when wind conditions that I would have flown in in the past indicate I should pass on flying at my present level. One thing that my club and a number of others have installed here in Florida are OFLPs (Old Fart Leaning Posts) that are very helpful in keeping ones orientation (don't laugh - but it works). Others have pretty well covered the subject of finding out why you are being critiqued by your club members. The older we get the better we use to fly. This leaves us with two choices, cash it in (unacceptable) or learn to live with it.
Attached Images