Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Aero-Works Extra 260 50cc Quickbuild

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Aero-Works Extra 260 50cc Quickbuild

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:12 AM
cpreinfalk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aero-Works Extra 260 50cc Quickbuild

Just maidened my Aero-Works Extra 260 50cc Quickbuild. I have a CRRC GF50i in it. I had the engine in another plane and have had 7 flights on the engine, so this is the 8th flight on the engine, but the first flight on the Extra 260.

I love this plane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait to fly it again.

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wrLVsUoiuw
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 PM
Super08
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Aero-Works Extra 260 50cc Quickbuild

Looks nice. I love the quick stop in the snow.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:03 AM
Bretd123

I have one shipping now, i hope i have as much fun as you have had!
Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM
cpreinfalk

I flew it once more in heavy wind and did a very bad landing with rollover. The plane ended up on it's back. Damage: none! I was so amazed. I thought that on a big plane like that there would be at least some damage, but I couldn't find anything!

Anyway, I have 3 NiCd batteries in this plane (ignition, servos, receiver) and I'm converting it to LiPo for the servos and NiMH for the ignition and receiver. The reason why I'm not going to go LiPo all around is that for the receiver it's not necessary and for the ignition it would be impractical: Charging a LiPo in the plane is risky (catching fire if I screw something up) and taking the ignition battery out everytime I want to charge it would be a bit hard (remove prop and engine cowl everytime). It's going to be a 3600 mAh. Right now I have a 2500mAh NiCd, so the weight should be roughly similar.

The reason why I have the receiver and the servos separate is because I don't want high amps to go through the receiver to the servos. That might not be an issue, but I just don't know how much the receiver can handle. This simply eliminates one risk factor, I'd say! So I'm going with a small (1500mAh) NiMH for the receiver and a big (4200mAh) LiPo for the servos.

NiCd batteries with their loss of amps without even using them just was too much trouble for me. I always want to fly with a topped off battery and sometimes I don't know that I'm going to the field on the next day and then I just end up charging all batteries all the time. With NiMh and LiPo I can charge all batteries before the weekend and then it doesn't matter if I go flying on Saturday or Sunday.

One more thing: I ordered one of those SmartFly regulators that handle 10 amps continuously and 20 amps peak, so that should be reusable for bigger planes, too!

Anyway, the batteries are supposed to come in this week, so next week (weather permitting) I'm going to get to do my 3rd flight on this bird!