Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Cut before or after painting?

Old 01-01-2009, 11:03 PM
melonpeel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cut before or after painting?

I haven't done a body since I was a kid and back then the tamiya stuff came pre-cut. Do you guys cut first and then paint? or paint it up and then cut? I've seen it both ways so just wondering which approach is better. I have a proline H2 body for maxx.

Also - for a protective finish can I use a clear enamel (Krylon) to spray over tamiya and pactra paint, or should I use something else? Or is this just overkill?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
bigbama1962

Default RE: Cut before or after painting?

i paint then cut gives you something to hold on to a pair of lexan scissors is a must
Old 01-01-2009, 11:27 PM
bigbama1962

i just use silver on the inside
Old 01-01-2009, 11:36 PM
Druss

I cut first so that I can't damage the paint job with the scissors. If you're running nitro then an enamel will protect the paint from fumes and gas spray, if you're running electric it isn't necessary but will still help protect it.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:30 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut and drill any holes before I paint.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:55 AM
evil3

I always paint then cut, as you will get better results that way (if you are going all out with the air brush).

Then for a backing coat I use Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear Enamel as a backer. Also I use it right over water based paints without an issue (just be sure to let the paint cure first). Although I don't know if it will cause an issue or not, I would say yes you can use an enamel paint as a backer/sealer (I'm not sure on that tho, so be carefull if you do, do it).
Old 01-03-2009, 09:34 AM
RGX Blade

as with some ,it may be easier to "Paint" then cut out the body.....but it depends on the Individual? if it is easier for them to cut then paint then that is ok too....
there is no "Right or Wrong"....just what ever is "Easiest for You"....

for backing...most "Electric" car applications probally will not need it...for the Nitro cars and truck...a "Decient Clear" of some kind will help allot....
a Good "Automotive" type clear will work....

for more "Indepth" Questions hit up Mike at www.RGXRacing.com for everything from R/C applications to Automotive

Old 03-07-2009, 12:54 AM
sweendog1969

if you havnt done it in awhile/ever i would cut and fit before you paint because if you slip there goes your paint. Also i've heard that krylon paint doesn stick to the bodies (of course it doesnt stick to anything else either) But back your paint with either a white or silver to make your colors POP or a black to darken the color and a shot of clear couldnt hurt especially for nitro. also make sure its warm outside or wherever you are painting.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:33 AM
NitroVette

I always cut then paint.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Matt_Gruizinga
My Feedback: (1)

off road bodies=cut then paint
on road bodies=paint then cut

i like to cut off road bodies first because then i can get a good idea of how i want to paint it, on road bodies i can just put on the car
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 PM
URit Racing

I do a lot of drag cars , and there are many different size tires both on the front & back , now there is two resons I recomend cutting first for custom painted cars 1. it would be easier to get the body slammed as low as possible without having the tires rub . 2. everybody mounts the bodies different on the different chassis & different wheelbases w/ it cut I kwow where the wheel wells are and also the angle of the bottom of the car , which aids in laying out the graffix keeping them flowing from the front to back and at the right angle , when I paint a car to sell on ebay or simmular , I don't have a clue what kind of car it will end up on . Some bodies are for wheel bases from 10.5-12" and an electrick will usually have much smaller back tires , in that case I would use the center body line as a guide . As far as truck bodies or touring cars that have the standard wheel well layout I agree w/ one of the other guys that say it gives you something to hold on to , also somebody else mentioned scratching the paint job if your not good and patient w/ sissors that is something to take in consideration . Like I'm a lots of help !! Good luck and do what works best w/you and the project your working on . Norman "the WINDY CITY AIRHEAD"
Old 03-07-2009, 05:35 PM
URit Racing

[img][/image]
Old 03-07-2009, 05:41 PM
URit Racing

[img][/image]
Old 03-13-2009, 08:53 AM
ArancioC5

no matter what you do, drill the holes first. That is for me an absolute MUST.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 AM
RCguru09
Banned

I always drill the body holes first if I don't see any marking for them. Otherwise I paint first. then ruff cut then final trim with a Dremel tool with a sanding drum. Cutting always leave crack and cracks lead to bigger cracks.