Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

NEED HELP WITH ENGINE

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

NEED HELP WITH ENGINE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 12:22 AM
seaknight1962

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED HELP WITH ENGINE

Hello all, I would like to solicit your help with the following problem. I have a Tower Hobbies tariner that came as an ARF, well I cartwheeled the darn thing and after the rebuild I cannot seem to keep the engine lit. It will start and hold an idle BUT, when I try to open the throttle it will sputter and just die. I cannot seem to get it to hold wide open throttle regardless of what I do. Any suggentions on how to find a solution to my problem? The engine in question is the Tower Hobbies .46 Ball Bearing ABC Schnuerle & Muffler that came with the plane. Your cooperation in this matter will be appreciated.

Seaknight1962
Old 07-07-2007, 05:55 AM
bbbair

Default RE: NEED HELP WITH ENGINE

The first thing that comes to mind is an air leak.

Have you checked the carburator fitting? It could have been loosened up with the impact.

Next, have you checked ALL of the fuel lines? Including the lines in the tank... pin holes and folded lines can play havock with fuel flows.

Good luck!
Old 07-07-2007, 06:28 AM
CrashPro
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: seaknight1962

Hello all, I would like to solicit your help with the following problem. I have a Tower Hobbies tariner that came as an ARF, well I cartwheeled the darn thing and after the rebuild I cannot seem to keep the engine lit. It will start and hold an idle BUT, when I try to open the throttle it will sputter and just die. I cannot seem to get it to hold wide open throttle regardless of what I do. Any suggentions on how to find a solution to my problem? The engine in question is the Tower Hobbies .46 Ball Bearing ABC Schnuerle & Muffler that came with the plane. Your cooperation in this matter will be appreciated.

Seaknight1962

Dumb question,..but did you replace the glow plug?....I own 4 of these engines,...and they all run like that when the glow plug is weak.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:14 AM
broke_n_bummin

Sounds like an air leak, maybe a split or disconnected fuel or exhaust like. Check the lines at the tank. If when you crashed, the tank came forward a little, it could have pinched the line or poked a hole in it.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:45 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

After that kind of arrival/landing the very first thing to check is that the clunk inside the tank is not thrown forward partially pinching off the internal clunk line. This is very common and most often overlooked causing the symtoms you are experiancing. Of course there can be other problems but always check this one first.

John
Old 07-07-2007, 01:38 PM
LuftwaffeOberst
Banned

Everyone is right... but I would also check the low speed setting. I had a problems where I would idle nice, and if I slammed the throttle forward she would sputter and want to konk out.

The problem was, it was building up with fuel while idling, and when I applied power... it dumped all the fuel in the carb making it choke out. [:@]

Re-seat the Carb and try it... if it does it again, lean the Low End Needle Valve setting 1/8th of a turn to the right.

I thank R/C Ken for that info, because my Evo .46 had the same problem... and Ken sent me a private message to help me get my engine to work right.

Hope I helped

CRASH PRO!!!!!! G--D@mn it!!!!!! [sm=lol.gif]

Luftwaffe Oberst
Radio Aero Modelers Club
AMA District II
Pulaski, NY
Old 01-02-2009, 08:05 AM
dumbthumbs

What is the best glow plug for this engine? I am also new to the glow scene and can't seem to make the thing run for more than a few seconds. The engine is inverted and I'm wondering if this is also part of my problem as the tank is on center line with the engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 01-02-2009, 01:47 PM
spadeng

Tower plugs are really good, I had the same problem with my first engine... a tower .46, my neighbor had a .46 on a Extra he had.. and i emphesise had, he blames the loss of the plane on that engine, he packed it up and sent it in to Tower and they found airleaks in it. I sealed up the carb and backplate with hitemp RTV and it never ran right. I finally replaced it with a Thunder Tiger .46 PRO and it ran really good, best fix for that engine in my opinion, that and a Super Tigre G 46, that I abused, once you get it broken in.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:04 PM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi!
Often after a hard landing /crash the clunk with its fuel hose inside the tank will be pushed forward. That's way the engine surges and stops.
An OS 8 or Enya 3 glowplug.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:43 PM
dumbthumbs

Thanks for the help I will try to find a hotter plug and look for air leaks and try again