Community
Search
Notices
Park Flyers & Backyard Flyers Discuss RC Parkflyers and rc backyard flyers in this forum

My day with the parkzone P-51

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 01:34 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My day with the parkzone P-51

Hello all.

I have been flying for some time mostly Turbines and Nitro/Gas but decided to pick up a few electrics for some back yard fun on the days I just dont feel like making the 35-45 min ride to one of the local clubs here. I recently picked up A parkzone p-51 (NIB) my dad, who also flies turbines ,Nitro and gas, picked up a F-27 along with a T-28.( all this came about because we decided to convert a 96" monocoupe to electric)

well we pulled the Mustang and the f-27 out of the box today slapped them together Charged that Bats hooked everything up, did the usual range check, made sure left was left and up was up. Following the direction for the mustang says you can launch it solo. well because there were two of us there he launched and i flew. to my surprise, there was not enough power and she flew to the ground. I walked over picked her up and the other piece to the prop ,disconnected everything and we prepped the F-27. The f-27 flew with out a problem.

So after flying the F-27 we went back to the shop swapped the Prop and topped of the pack and went back out to fly. This time I gave the mustang a good toss and Dad had the sticks ( against the directions advise, I tossed it at a slight up angle. After she was air born Dad passed the sticks to me . to my shock the battery was Dead with in 20 seconds of flying. I did not even make a complete 360 circuit. pushing the nose down I was able to keep enough air speed to get her back to the ground with out any problems. ( the mustang still looks like it came out of the box) Well as i stated before the battery was dead, so I thought. I went back to the house and checked the Volts to my surprise 11.58. The battery was fully charged still. SO it would appear that I have a problem with the speed control.
Has anyone else had this problem.

So now I wait till monday to call Horizon about a fix or replacement

Old 01-03-2009, 05:46 PM
crazychris46dividedby2

Default RE: My day with the parkzone P-51

never flown one but it does osund like a bad esc. also does it have alot of thrust when you first power up to full throttle? id say check and make sure that the motor wires arent lose and soldered nice and strong and make sure there isnt any electric arching from where the motor wire is soldered to the motor casing. beyond that im nt so sure but ive had issues with bad motor wiring cause some strange flights, hope this was helpful, chris
Old 01-03-2009, 06:58 PM
maiden-crash

You need to clarify, are you using a Lipo with it? Or a nimh? If your using a lipo, did you remember to remove the jumper on the ESC? And if its a nimh, with the stock Tamiya connector, there is a possibiliy that the connector momentarily lost connection, which could explain why you still had control of the plane, but the throttle wouldn't arm.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM
SGT.SHAGGY

its the stock NiMh pack. It actually acted just like a battery that reached auto cut off. control of the elevator and such, but the motor was only responsive if i went to idle/off and back to full and it was only for about 2 seconds.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:10 PM
maiden-crash

Their could be two possible problems here. One could be your battery, and another could be your ESC. I think you should run some tests on the ground and monitor ESC temperature, battery temperature etc. try a different battery and see if that helps. Sometimes these RTF models are more of a headache than they should be.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:25 AM
jismail

I found that the P51 is quite a handful and has a very poor hand launch record when using the stock setup. I converted mine to brushless and it turned it into a different bird! The plan needs good power to overcome its tendency to tip stall on launch. I highly recommend going with brushless and lipo in the plane and you will enjoy it's flight performance much more than messing around with it stock. You can replace the stock motor with any inrunner and a 12 tooth pinion and just use the stock gear box - it makes it very easy to convert it that way.