Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

WHAT IS A GOOD 450 SIZE HELI

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

WHAT IS A GOOD 450 SIZE HELI

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 01:45 AM
stilly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT IS A GOOD 450 SIZE HELI

l am looking for a good barebone kit helicopter around a 400-450 size.l have an ALIGN 420 BL MOTOR,ALIGN 25 AMP ESC,AND ALIGN 500 GYRO.l have also purchased a SPECTRUM DX6I radio

So what would be a good heli to get?This will be my first heli and l will not be doing any crazy flying ,just ff and turns and stuff.l have about 30 hours of flight time on a sim and can fly around alright.

also have a eflite mcx to fly around the house

l live in canada as well

and l do not want the best heli just something entry level for around $200
Old 01-02-2009, 12:50 PM
RC David

Default RE: WHAT IS A GOOD 450 SIZE HELI

Thunder Tiger mini-Titan. Available with or without electronics.

- Bare bones kit: http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101472 $114.99

-Kit w/ESC & motor: http://www.heliproz.com/prodinfo.asp?number=101452 (you must click buy now to see current price) (169.99 right now) I paid 215.00 so the current price is a steal.

GREAT, easy to repair heli that flies as well as or better than a TREX.

Hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2009, 02:37 PM
DumbDawg
My Feedback: (3)

Hey Still... welcome to the habit of heli's...

Ur ask'n a little like whats the best color red... tons of options here... along with tons of opinions...

A $200 budget will get you a semi rtf... I say semi because no heli is RTF out of the box... you will need to do some setup... You say ur not going to do 3D which is kinda hard to do if ur a noob anyway... lol What type of heli would you like??? A fix'd pitch heli or a collective heli... this will depend on what you ultimate fly'n style you will want to do... I personally didn't get a fix'd because I wanted something of a challenge and closer to the way real heli's work... I got a Honey Bee King 2 as my first heli...

A K2 will run you about $160 CAN about now and you can upgrade it to a decent heli for around $200 see'n as you have a good Tx... DON'T buy the overpriced K3... The K2 is a fast nimble and challenging heli... GREAT teacher for fly'n and fix'n... its easy to fix and cheap to maintain... but like I say its a challenge and only you will know if you are into it... want something simpler then a fix'd pitch will be the likely road you'll want to take...

If you want a larger heli than the K2(400) then a 450 will be what you are after... bigger and easier to fly... I have 3 EXI's from XHeli that I'm working on.. my K2 is finished. I'm scaling one EXI with a scale body onto it... BUT... the EXI s like a bare bones heli that you decide what goes into it... you can go real cheap and get it in the air for about $75.00 or go middle of the road and easily get it fly'n for $150.00 with good parts to last a long time... But you are building it from the base unit... For me... I very much enjoy this... The EXI is 99.9% Trex SE V2 compatible so parts are plentiful...

So theres a couple more options and probably plenty more coming... welcome to the world of heli's.. it just gets better... need any more info or questions answered we are all here to help...

happy fly'n... soon
Old 01-02-2009, 03:33 PM
eaterofdog
My Feedback: (1)

Get a decent Trex 450 clone. CopterX, EXI whatever. Lots of parts and support.

The King is too small. The wind gets takes it quick. You definitely won't want to be flying the king outside in your winter wonderland.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:24 PM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out BlackHawk 450 from KA Planes. Inexpensive, flys great , and KA Planes has great support. They have a thread started here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6314320/tm.htm
Old 01-02-2009, 05:47 PM
stilly

l checked out the EXI heli,s which look pretty good as parts would be easy to get,being a T REX clone

Where would they sell that heli in Canada as the exchange rates right now are terrible

Also which would be good servos to get,l dont need anything fancy,just mid pack
Old 01-02-2009, 08:04 PM
DumbDawg

Not sure if you will get one in Canukdom here... I may be able to sell you one of mine as I have a 'spare' sort of... servo's are easy... a cheapy would be towerpro's SG-90's or similar or go better and get some Hitec 65's but the run for $19.00 apiece... but will likely be the last servo's you'd buy...

If you live anywhere near the US border like I do I simply drive down and pick stuff up.. but if ur in Calgary or beyond then ur to far away to drive down...

What sort of HS's are around?? If ur in cowtown I know some great guys to not only supply parts to you for K2 stuff but they are fliers themselves and could probably help you out a lot if you ever needed it...

Anyway.. gotta run for a bit

happy fly'n
Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Henry Bowman
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: ea01bg

Check out BlackHawk 450 from KA Planes. Inexpensive, flys great , and KA Planes has great support. They have a thread started here http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_6314320/tm.htm

I second this post. Best Heli for the cash bar NONE ! AND KA-Planes are great folks to deal with....
Old 01-03-2009, 03:50 PM
DumbDawg

The only trouble with this is the exchange rate for us canuks just isn't so great right now.. So we would have to tack on an extra .20 cents on the dollar right now for any heli... AND.. even tho KA may be a great place to deal with, their shipping to canukdom isn't cheap... so when our dollar is at par they are great deals but when not... cheaper to actually buy from HK... or a bare bones kit and build one...

nice heli tho.. happy fly'n
Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 PM
stilly

this is unreal ,l can not find a barebone heli kit of a 450 size for under $120 canadian (in canada)even looked on ebay.ca and cant find anything

in the US there all kinds of them,and good ones too
stupid canadian dollar
Old 01-04-2009, 01:45 AM
jerrymac
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: stilly

this is unreal ,l can not find a barebone heli kit of a 450 size for under $120 canadian (in canada)even looked on ebay.ca and cant find anything

in the US there all kinds of them,and good ones too
stupid canadian dollar

Personally, I don't know why the US and Canada don't just use the same currency. Geez, our countries trade freely together, our economys are kinda similar, and we have THE largest unprotected borders of any other two countries in the world. Heck, we gotta drive through Canada to get to one of our states. Besides, when it comes to change it seems the exchange rate means nothing. I get Canadian quarters all the time as change here, even from the bank and use it just like US quarters.
Maybe you could pay for your heli using quarters.
Old 01-04-2009, 01:35 PM
DumbDawg

Hey stilly... Here's a good 450 sized heli.. uner $200.00 and free delivery IN CANADA... I JUST about bought one of these earlier but got the two EXI instead on a sale day...

http://www.snhobbies.com/index.php?cPath=22_38

There are two Flashers on this page the RTF and the ARF... The arf comes WITH a motor and esc, which for $100.00 is a great deal. The RTF for $170.00 is also a great deal and free shipping...

So there you have it... a 450 heli, in canukdom here, for under $200.00... trex compatible... If I had the coin I'd buy one for sure...

Food for thought...

happy fly'n
Old 01-04-2009, 07:29 PM
stilly

l checked that place outlooks good ,most likely order the Flasher cause of free shipping,and will get here sooner

strange that the place is located in BC ,but his prices are in US funds

l actually have bought from there before ,about 2 years ago ,l bought a walkera 36 from there.

probably going to try putting my dx6i in the walkera and see if l can get it to fly
,till my other heli gets here

this stuff should all work in the walkera right?????
Align 420 bl motor
Align 25 amp esc
Align gyro
spektrum dx6i with 6200 rx
Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 AM
xodarap1

I've flown a lot of 450's.. some priced about the same, some much more, and if i was buying, i would get: http://www.hobby-lobby.com/dragonus.htm
It is smooth, performs great and is simple and cheap to repair.. just get the hardened main shafts and a few main gears and you will have a nice machine for the money.
Take a look for yourself here and in some other forums (there is a nice thread on rcgroups) to see what other pilots are saying about it.
If you can, get out to a local club and fly as many as possible before you decide. Fly a TRex, Mini Titan, CopterX, BlackHawk and Dragonus to decide for yourself after the hands on.
Best of luck to you no matter what you end up going with.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:31 AM
DumbDawg

Trouble is the shipping and customs... Anything getting mailed gets tagged by customs and shipping generally is expensive... That and I personally won't shop with HL anymore... They jerked me good over a faulty Lama V3 I bought from them so I won't shop with them anymore period... It maybe easier to not have to deal with out of country customers problems than to make them right... my experiences with them after numerous purchases with them...

anyrate... happy fly'n

Old 01-05-2009, 12:34 PM
eaterofdog

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

Trouble is the shipping and customs... Anything getting mailed gets tagged by customs and shipping generally is expensive... That and I personally won't shop with HL anymore... They jerked me good over a faulty Lama V3 I bought from them so I won't shop with them anymore period... It maybe easier to not have to deal with out of country customers problems than to make them right... my experiences with them after numerous purchases with them...

anyrate... happy fly'n

Hobby Lobby overcharged me on shipping, then ignored my emails. Rip off.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:01 PM
DumbDawg

You got lucky... they did much more to me... which is why I don't deal with them anymore... Burn me once shame on them burn me twice... shame on me... won't be burned a third...

The not so funny thing is... they acknowledged the burn then did what you experienced... ignored me thereafter...

oh well...

happy fly'n
Old 01-05-2009, 02:25 PM
eaterofdog

ORIGINAL: DumbDawg

You got lucky... they did much more to me... which is why I don't deal with them anymore... Burn me once shame on them burn me twice... shame on me... won't be burned a third...
Leave feedback at resellerratings.com

I just left mine, thanks for the reminder. Die Hobby Lobby!
Old 01-05-2009, 04:42 PM
xodarap1

Well, i don't know what to tell ya.. i can only share my own experience in shopping at HL over the last year or so. I've spent a total of $748.59, (which is much less than what i've dumped at other places) at hobby lobby and have only had one minor $5 shipping issue with them that was quickly corrected and credited to my account the next day. Every order i've placed with them so far has been at my door in 3 to 5 days.. and i've had good and bad luck with several other vendors so i didn't get in a twist about it. I guess it just proves that none of them are perfect and we each can have unique experiences with any of them. There are plenty of places to shop on and offline, so there is no reason to get or not get something heli wise just because you aren't happy with one reseller. As for customs.. i guess you will have to find a vendor in country that can easily supply you with the heli and parts.
Best of luck to ya. It might be worth calling around to see if any vendors have remote offices in your country that could supply you.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:31 PM
DumbDawg

Don't have to tell me anything... I don't have my knickers in a knot.... Merely stated I won't shop with them again.... no burn there... but.. if anyone asks I would tell them straight up my experiences just as I'm sure you would too..

There are a few suppliers in Canukdom here but there just isn't the variety here as in other places... Personally... I get better deals and cheaper shipping on a lot of stuff from out of HK...

Thats the beauty of the internet... and its downfall too...

happy fly'n