Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

revo or savage??

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 07:16 PM
monsterfreak985

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default revo or savage??

im lookin into a bigger truck like a revo or savage and i haven't decided which one i want and i was lookin for some suggestions on which one you think is better. im lookin for something to bash and that wont cost alot to maintain and wont break too many parts and has some good speed Thanks in advance!!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:04 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

Default RE: revo or savage??

The Revo is more along the lines of a 1/10 scale truck in my opinion. It lacks ground clearance which again, in my opinion is key for off-road bashing and bashing in general.

You are obviously going to get many responses stating that you should get a Savage and I will be one of them, but you ARE in the HPI forum.

The Revo is more of a race bread truck and the Savage more bash worthy and also capable of being set up as a good race truck.
Old 01-05-2009, 08:26 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: PrjctStrtFrce

The Revo is more along the lines of a 1/10 scale truck in my opinion. It lacks ground clearance which again, in my opinion is key for off-road bashing and bashing in general.

You are obviously going to get many responses stating that you should get a Savage and I will be one of them, but you ARE in the HPI forum.

The Revo is more of a race bread truck and the Savage more bash worthy and also capable of being set up as a good race truck.
accually the revo was sold to be a basher in the beggining but it ened up as a racer, and is marked as both, tho the savage is a full on basher

the lug
Old 01-05-2009, 08:28 PM
azzman

The Savage might be more durable, but dont get hung up on ground clearance...take Truggies for instance, (IMO) they make great bashers and have way less ground clearance than a Savage, lower ground clearance also means lower COG which means less roll overs...
Old 01-05-2009, 08:31 PM
twobnvd

I would have to agree with above. I just got a revo 3.3 and I already own a 3.5 savage. I like both but if your looking for a basher I would recomend the savage, If your looking for a racer I would go revo. I am extremly happy with the power of both but then again I own the 3.3 revo which is the biggest motor avalable and the 3.5 which is the smallest big block so If I had the 4.6 or 5.9 I would probably say all around the savage is more durable cheaper and easier to work on. I put my savage through he77 and it holds up every time. The revo takes controll to another level though. It will turn on a dime with adjustable supension that almost competes with rock crawlers due to the travel it allows. But once agian all in all the SAVAGE is tougher, cheaper to maintain and easier to work on. Just my two cents. Good luck I believe you will be satisfied either way both are great rc's. Both have great customer service and most LHS carry parts for both as they are the most popular models. Just break the motor in properly and you will be happy either way!
Old 01-05-2009, 08:44 PM
PrjctStrtFrce
My Feedback: (10)

I just find that higher ground clearance is more of a bashing element. Yes it will roll over easier, but it would do that most of the time when you are on-road making turns which is NOT off-road bashing I'm also looking at it as some REAL off road territory such as slight rock climbing, hills, and so on which would require a little more ground clearance to go THROUGH things in its way instead of going around it.

Old 01-05-2009, 10:31 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

I wish I had a dollar for every Revo I beat on the track! O that's right some say a Savage is not a racer so how did I do that? LOL A Savage is a great basher and can be a very good racer. Either way out of the box the Savage is more durable.
Old 01-05-2009, 10:37 PM
twobnvd

I am not saying you can not build one to be a racer. I love my savage but bone stock. A revo will out run a savage on a course with the same driver. Believe me I have tried both.
With some upgrades though it anyones game.. But same goes for bashing I would jump a stock savage way before I would attempt to jump a stock revo. And I am not talking a 2-5 ft jump either more like 15-20ft in the air. Just my opinion. They both have solid formats but are completely diffrent due to the suspension set up and the chasis. I do like both hence the reason for owning both..
Old 01-05-2009, 10:49 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

OK maybe I should not mention out running several revos on the track when my Savage was all most stock with a stock K4.6 and on the straightaways the 3.3 Revo could not keep up with it and some of the Revo guys had been racing years long then I have. At that time all I did to my Savage which was a PRE X was put limiters in the shocks, different shock oil and springs.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:00 PM
twomanytoys

They say at the tracks its 75% driver and 25% car. A great driver with ok truck can outrun an ok driver with a great truck.