Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

Officail Sportworks Tailwhip Thread

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Officail Sportworks Tailwhip Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:43 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Officail Sportworks Tailwhip Thread

I did a search for the Tailwhip and found some useful post from people asking questions about the Tail Whip. So now we have a thread just for us I have one and it is my first drift car. Being my first I cannot compare it to other drift cars but I do have this to say: This car is a blast to drift completely stock. I don't even know If I am drifting right I just take the car up to full speed, crank on the wheel, and throw the car into a long skid. Sometimes I drift around obstacles in a parking lot. Drifting is a blast and I have already my fair use out of this car without anything breaking.
A small review.
Durability: As stated earlier, nothing broken yet. I noticed when I slide into a curb the body bounces off the impact and there is no damage. I slide head first into a curb sometimes but usually at low speeds while drifting around obstacles. It has a generous foam bumper so nothing broken.
Heat: Its completely stock not even a Lipo battery. I have a 2s 2000mah Lipo with a deans connector and plan to use it later. I have noticed the battery gets a little warm after a good run but no concern there. As for the motor, even with the heat sink it gets a little warm at the end but stays cooler then the battery pack and cools down much faster. I let will update on temperature later after using a 2000mah Lipo for a full run.
Speed and Power: Good enough. My only non brushless electric car and I am satisfied with it's speed ATM.
Looks: Just my opinion I think it looks cool with the wheel lights and should look better with the headlights. Being 1/16th it seems more proportionate then my 1/18th scale AE18T.
Flaws: You could find a puddle of water in the Sahara desert using this car. No fried electronics, but it's taken a few baths.
Diffs: You would think Diffs would strip fast in a drift car. You may be right. But I have noticed no resistance on the front diffs, but some slight resistance on the rear diffs. For those new to RC, I test the diffs by holding car in my hand and turning a wheel wheel with my hand to see if it turns the other wheel without resistance. I might open it up later to if it just needs to be cleaned and lubed. Otherwise I can drift it and it works fine.

Alright so I want to hear what others think about their TailWhip.
What mods have your done?
What tires do you use?
Do you use a Lipo or higher capacity battery?
And if yours is brushless be specific as to what brushless system it is and what upgrades are needed for the diffs/tranny/gears etc.
And feel free to compare the Tailwhip to other drift cars if you have others.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:47 AM
rcman177

Default RE: Officail Sportworks Tailwhip Thread

whos it made buy and how much is it 1st comment !!!!!!! woot[X(]
Old 12-09-2008, 06:02 PM
austexjg

I just got a Tailwhip - first drift car - fun out of the box. It is made by Sportwerks - Horizon Hobby. I'm looking to upgrade to the XLR8 motor and possible ball diffs for front and rear. I do need a better battery (NiMh) if anyone can suggest one. I plan on more upgrades in the coming weeks. What do others suggest as upgrades for better drifting?
Old 12-19-2008, 03:33 PM
austexjg

So nobody is still drifting the Tailwhip? Shame ! Just added the XLR 8 motor - drifts are long and easy. CV drive shafts did not fit. Anyone out there?
Old 12-26-2008, 01:06 PM
gldngrk02

I just got one yesterday. I've only got a couple of runs in, in the basement, and so far it's pretty cool. Pretty resilient too! A friend of mine has had one for a month or so as well and races it quite a bit at a local hobby shop, mainly road course, so I need to get a better feel for it before I work on making it quicker than his.
Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 AM
TheTruckingGuru

Anyone find wheels that fit? I have made my own with PVC but they suck and look bad.
Old 01-13-2009, 05:16 PM
austexjg

Have not found drift tires other that original - try using some nail polish that is used to harden nails (clear) - doesn't last long on asphalt, but makes drifting as easy as when the tires were new.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:10 PM
austexjg

Locking the rear diff has made a big difference in maintaining the drift through the corners - will next try locking up the front. Anyone else having any luck in tuning the car for better performance? Since I replaced the stock motor with the XLR-8, the car doesn't want to turn right while the throttle is on - I assume it's the torque steer from the quicker motor? Anyone have any suggestions on the set-up that might help? I noticed the left side rear shock is leaking a little - could this affect the performance? When I tried to install the stock motor, it wouldn't move - I tried cleaning with motor spray and looked at the brushes before trying to re-install - could I have messed up the motor with the spray or replaced the brushes wrong?
Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 AM
gldngrk02

I swapped in the Duratrax vr3 motor and changed to the 16t pinion and the thing moves out pretty good. I've only run it in the basement so far so I haven't had a chance to top end it but it still drifts pretty darn good even with foam tires. I added the pro kit yellow springs but again have yet to really test it. I noticed one of the shocks leaked out its oil too, sucks cause I just put 100wt in there. How exactly did you go about locking the diff?
Old 02-03-2009, 04:30 PM
austexjg

I opened up the diff gear and used some thin paper to wedge between the gears - the first attempt caused some binding in the drive shaft and short battery life. This made a difference when running on asphalt - inside on concrete may not make a big difference since you have a good motor with power to spare.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:51 AM
jetto

[:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@][:@]
do not talk about some @#$% car go for a kick ass tt-o1/d or go home q p
w
Old 02-04-2009, 01:11 PM
austexjg

Thanks for that worthless two cents - but I have a TB02 - NOW, go play with your TT.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:30 PM
HomeDawwg

whats the bet he relies on his parents to buy him his rc stuff
Old 02-04-2009, 09:43 PM
yahman1254
My Feedback: (1)

jetto, you cant diss something and tell the person to get a tt... not sensible...

i have a tb-02. havent heard of this car but it sounds cool.