Search
Notices

QQ aircraft 73" Engine choice

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 09:05 PM
nrthwing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: QQ aircraft 73" Engine choice

I am considering the 73" yak for a 10S electric.

How does the plane fly overall?

Thanks,
Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr49970.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1081741  
Old 12-01-2008, 05:28 PM
bzyguy01

Couldn't resist the year end sale price and bought one too! I'm going to put my 140 YS in this thing....I'm reading alot of ...well all you guys...are liking the OS 160 well over the YS 140? I really like my YS 140 in my Showtime 90 and it yanks it around like a ragdoll.... I would imagine if I could trade some spped for low end thrust than I could go up in prop and down in pitch to have a great 3d Machine ? I don't really need it to rip it at mach speeds, I just want it to yank like a tractor out of a hover... Does anyone agree with me?
BTW.... I already have the YS vs. the OS....
Thanks Shayne
Old 12-01-2008, 05:34 PM
5150flyer

bzyguy01,

The YS140 will be great in this plane. Central Hobbies has a nice remote muffler setup that will fit it perfectly too. A good running YS140 is a perfect match. I bought the OS 160, because I don't currently own a YS140 and I don't want to run high nitro fuel. You have a winner.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:05 PM
schinus
My Feedback: (2)

What kind of RPMs are you guys getting with the 1.60 FX. I saw Ron is getting 8450 with his set-up but all I can get is around 7100 with an 18x8 J Zinger prop burnig 10% Cool Power. I don't know what the elevation is here in central Fl but it can't be too high.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:18 AM
AndreCH

I was all the time wondering, what engine to put.

First I did not want to spoil the appearance, by putting an external muffler or tube, hanging outside the model. But living in Switzerland - where noise reduction is inevitable - does not allow the use of pitts style mufflers or thelike.

I was then planning to fly electric. But after a season of electric pattern flying with 10S LiPOs I found out that my 3 battery packs do not provide sufficient flying time for fun flying.

Finally I decided to install a Laser 240-VEE. This 2-cylinder engine including silencers is very close to weight and performance of an OS160 FX+silencer. It can be built into the cowl and fully hides. And at actual exchange rate of the british pound, it is also competitive in price. Prop will be 18x8.
www.laserengines.com

best regards Andre
Old 01-12-2009, 10:37 AM
Freezer

How much flight time do you get with Saito 1.80 and OS 1.60 (or any other) ? And how large fuel tanks you have ?
Old 01-12-2009, 03:56 PM
schinus
My Feedback: (2)

Chalk this one up to "duh" !!!
I asked earlier about RPM with 1.60 OS. I got no response and continued to look for answers. Found it......the fuel tubing from the needle valve to the carb was small diam. The tubing from the tank was large.....it was starving the engine. My RPMs went up to 9300 with a 17x8 prop. Don't know how that got by me but it won't happen again.
BTW...this is truly the best flying plane I have owned or flown. Will be getting a bigger model in the future. What a dream!!!
Old 01-13-2009, 01:36 AM
bzyguy01

Got mine all done with a YS 140 Sport...I set mine up a little tail heavy for 3D and I really like it. The power from the YS is awesome...Tons of power...Excellent pullout of a hover. The engine choice worked out very well. I went with a Jtec exhaust rather than the Central hobbies due to the size and hassle of installing it.....KE has little to no coupling , Solid Hover, waterfalls with ease and flat spins are simple and clean. This bird does everything very well except land with my tail heavy setup....Tail heavy it will tend to nose up the slower you get it on landings and it gets a little tricky until you get used to it...Most of my larger birds are alittle more nose heavy and land very solid so I had a small learning curve with this bird for the first few flights until I got it! I put it up 9 times the first day with no issues other than my landing gear getting a little loose and needing to put a quick charge in my RX pack! Good luck guys.....I love mine!
Old 01-24-2009, 08:52 PM
mrdhud
My Feedback: (48)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all,
I have a new moki 1.8 gas engine I’m trying to find a plane for. I’m thinking about the 73” plane any thoughts about how this engine will perform?
Thanks
Dan
Old 01-28-2009, 11:12 PM
kochj

Glad to hear you got your 1.60fx sorted!!!...

I had watched reza's comparison of the ys 1.10 and the AX 1.20. video on the 69" yak ...
The ys 1.10 looked like a better performer. Sooo much more intant power.
Went with a 1.20ax on a pipe because it is what I had.... Talk about power!!...
ANyway, I am sure that the YS 1.40 has Awsome low end grunt..... That is what the 4-strokes are soooo good at.... for 3-d, it is nice to have that instant hit of power when you need it...
I know that we are talking about the 73" but It was a very good side by side comparison of the difference in performance between the 4&2 stroke engines.....

It was a real eye opener for me since that I always believed that a 2-stroke had double the power of a 4-stroke engine of the same displacement.... Believe me , I had a very hard time when all the manufactures of motocross bikes started making 4-stokes only!...

I believe a 26cc gasser on a Carbonfiber pipe would work very very well... Better than the video of qq and the 73" yak.... His was a new engine (not broken in) and running on a power robbing pitts mufler...

I have a lightened zdz40 that comparible to the weight of a 26cc gaser, but it would need a hyde mount to dampen the vibrations....

Here it is next to my os 1.20AX....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89407.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	1122218  
Old 02-09-2009, 01:08 PM
belfast flyer

Hi all,
Same old question what sort of engine for the 73" Yak, the thing is i have a Saito 150 and a 26 gas and was wondering would the Saito have enough power..
Thanks BF
Old 02-09-2009, 08:45 PM
ctnic

ORIGINAL: Freezer
How much flight time do you get with Saito 1.80 and OS 1.60 (or any other) ? And how la-rge fuel tanks you have ?
I'm running a YS140 sport using a 16oz tank, Bolle 19x6 carbon prop, and 30% heli fuel. My timer goes off at 10 minutes and then do 2 touch and goes then the next landing is dead stick. This is doing a Freestyle type of flight. If I fly more of a pattern flight I usually have a small amount left but still stick to 10 minutes.

Chris