Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Impact King Tiger Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 04:57 PM
madbadger

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Impact King Tiger Tracks

Hi just fitted my Impact King Tiger Tracks, WOW they are so well made, worth the money. The castings are so good, no rough bits at all. They do weigh a lot, but i have impact gearboxes with support bearings so im not worried about wear on the boxes. Just need to give it a run outside, get some soil into them, make them looked used...

well pleased

got them from Welsh Dragon Models......the guy is tops for support and service....

Kev
Old 01-16-2009, 11:51 PM
crazytanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Impact King Tiger Tracks

I have also used the Impact KT tracks before but they were too heavy & shortened the life of my batteries. I just sold them to my friend. I have recently bought a set of King
Tiger transport tracks from hobby summit. They weight exactly one pound ( 0.5 kg ) less the regular KT tracks. It extended the running time of my tank at least half an hour.
My tank has a new & slim look.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 AM
madbadger

Hmmm.....i didnt think of that, but i do have a 4600 battery powering my KT, i did have the same battery in my tiger1 and the also have high quality metal tracks, and it lasted 3 hours and still wasnt flat!!!

if i can get over an hour i will be happy

cheers

Kev
Old 01-17-2009, 05:12 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Hmmmm. From what I can figure, the extra track weight advantages far outweigh any small sacrifice in battery run time.
Crazytanker, if the tracks made that much difference in running time, mayhap something else is amiss. Perhaps you can post a photo of your tank so we can take a look and see if there is anything obvious? Extra weight of tracks should make virtually no difference in run time. In fact, just for curiosity, I will test today. Results shortly.
Old 01-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Wozwasnt

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Lay the tracks out and spraying them with silicone lubricant and leave them to soak for a few hours. Then refit the tracks and run the tank on a brick (or somthing that keeps the tracks off the ground) for a while. This'll break the tracks in and take the stiffness out of them.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:08 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Just about every Impact track set I've had my hands on is ready to run out of the box. no break in needed, quite supple actually.
Tests with Impact and "other brands" of metal tracks, and stock Tamiya plastic tracks, show zero influence on the battery run time from the tracks. A small 1700 battery was used on a full boat King, very heavy no matter which tracks are used. Life was approximately 20 minutes at full throttle for the battery for all tracks. This same King has fought for almost two hours on one 3600 battery, and I mean fought, almost no idle time, with Impact early KT tracks this past spring. Also, today it is raining and sleeting with just a little snow mixed in. Ground was soft and adhesive, so the strain on the motive system was significant. I would venture to say the run time in normal weather would be about 50% more with just the 1700.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Maybe you can show us your tank with a video or work in progress? That would help a lot!
Old 01-17-2009, 01:24 PM
madbadger

i agree with Sevoblast, Impact tracks are so well made, you don't have to mess around 'running' them in, they really are that good! I had the same question for Impact when i bought my Impact gearbox, i asked if i should run them in with 'tooth/cutting paste'? the reply was 'are you mad? it would be like putting sand in the gearbox of your car. Just some light oil or light grease and just run them. I use motorcycle chain lube, the antiflig type, it works a treat.

If you can afford them, i recommend the impact parts, i may even upgrade to the impact suspension!!!!

Kev
Old 01-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Actually the additional weight is only half of the tracks total weight. The rest of the tracks weight is on the ground. This is called unsprung weight while the total weight of the tracks add to the curb weight of the tank.