Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Questions and Answers
Reload this Page >

Spektrum DSP60 Servo Shudder/Jitter

Community
Search
Notices
Questions and Answers If you have general RC questions or answers discuss it here.

Spektrum DSP60 Servo Shudder/Jitter

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 PM
hotdogx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum DSP60 Servo Shudder/Jitter

I just finished an indoor 3D model and am using Spektrum DSP60 servos on a DX7 TX and AR6100 RX, powered from a Castle Creations T-Bird 9 ESC. When I move the sticks slowly the servos get this pronounced "shudder" or jitter, shaking the control surfaces and the whole model. Anyone know the cure for this? Do these servos have to be re-programmed? They act kind of like the deadband is too tight. They do fine when the sticks are moved fast. Hope I don't have to buy a programmer!
Old 01-04-2009, 11:21 AM
jb642

Default RE: Spektrum DSP60 Servo Shudder/Jitter

hotdogx -

I did the same thing - installed three in a foamy and once powered up (with or without the receiver bound to the TX), all three started severe chatter and flutter. I removed the speed control from the receiver and then powered up with a NiCad receiver pack - same results. I then switched the servos to a different receiver - same problem!! I think there is either a dead band problem or bad pots in the servos. The servos went back to the hobby store!! I picked up 3 HS56's and they are working great. The lesson I learned for next time was - connect and power up everything before installing!!!!!!! I would have seen the problem then and saved myself about two hours of troubleshooting and unmounting/remounting the servos!!

JB

PS: There is some additional stuff about this on RunRyder and RCGroups.......
Old 01-04-2009, 11:26 AM
hotdogx

JB,

Thanks for confirming this! Glad to see I'm not the only one!

Al
Old 01-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Kevvy

Hello All
I've just built my first indoor model, and fitted the Spektrum AR6300F DSM2 Nanolite Flight Pack which has the DSP60 servo's. I have the same problem as you all do with violent control movement, although as soon as i fly the model the servos work perfectley. If you have found a way to sort this problem out, please let me know, as this lot cost me £90. All my other Spektrum equipment works faultlessly, thats why i invested my money on these DSP60 servos.
Kevin.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg14024.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	1113654  
Old 01-18-2009, 07:20 PM
hotdogx

Kevvy,

I've been assured by some local guys that as soon as the model gets airborne, the servos settle down. I guess there is enough air load on the surfaces to damp them out. So, I'm going to withhold judgment until I get a chance to fly it in a couple weeks. If I still don't like them I might swap them out for Hitecs.

Al
Old 01-28-2009, 01:21 AM
lncracing

I am flyin the ar6300 flight pack with these servos as well. I first out them in an Ikararus Edge540 foamy and had some of the jitter, but settled down in flight, and sometimes quit jittering completely. Then I put them in an Ikarus Nemesis. The Nemesis which has much smaller control surfaces had no jitter at all ever. Now I recently put them in a Great Planes Yak 54 foamy and the jitter is back worse than ever. The Yak has even larger control surfaces the either of the previous planes. Now on the Yak I can grab the ailerons to hold the servos still and it will stop but only very breifly. All of the models did fly ok but it seems that on the Yak it is definitely affecting flight. I believe I heard that programming these servos helps, but I have not triesd this yet for I do not have a programmer. Any help would be great.

Phil
Old 01-28-2009, 07:24 AM
hotdogx

I finally had the opportunity to test fly my Fancyfoam Yak 55m yesterday. I can confirm that the servos do stop jittering once the model is flying, so they are not a problem. However, it is annoying having them jitter while the model is sitting still. I don't plan to change them out, but don't think I'll use them again on future foamies.
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 AM
andWho

Hi,
I just installed a AR6300 Rx and three DPS60J servos in my "Malves YAK54 V5" , and the aileron servo went crazy when powering up first time.
Violent oscillations, seems it did not find the center position. I could get it to calm down by slowly moving the stick. But any sudden movment started oscillations again. The other two servos stayed calm.

Luckily there was four servos in the "Nanolight flight pack", so I replaced the aileron servo and now it works fine.

What to do with the wild one ? Return it and request replacement ?? Re-programming ??? How ????
/A
Old 02-08-2009, 10:12 AM
hotdogx

I have heard of this from a local modeler. Seems that Spektrum must have had a bad lot of servos. The local modeler returned his servos to the hobby shop and they replaced them. Also, Spektrum would be happy to replace it if you sent it to them.

Al
Old 02-09-2009, 06:50 PM
lncracing

Before this weekend I purchased the Spektrum DSP programmer hoping it would solve my problem. It did not. The servos still jitter and continue to get worse the longer I own and run them. If you have them I strongly recommend sending them back. I was at E-fest over the weekend. Myself and 2 of my buddies explained to Horizon that all 3 of us had identical setups with the same AR6300 flight pack and all 3 of us had the same issue. They without blinking handed all of us 4 e-flight ds60 servos. Now the ds60s they gave us not have the micro plug and will not work without changing the plug or getting an adapter so it was no real help but a nice gesture on Horizons part. I hope that they will exchange them for something that I can actually use.

Phil
Old 03-20-2009, 05:22 PM
Kevvy

Hello All
I went flying tonight and all the controls have started jittering in flight when under a light load. The Spektrum AR6300F DSM2 Nanolite Flight Pack is not a cheap option, so i bought this hoping this would be the dogs danglies. Has anyone tride programming them with a different programmer? I think if Horizon or Spektrum know of the problem, then they shouldn't be selling them, as they are not fit for purpose.[sm=tired.gif]
Kevin.