Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Aerial Photography and Video
Reload this Page >

HD quality or gyro video stabilization

Notices
Aerial Photography and Video Discuss the growing field of aerial photography and aerial video right here!

HD quality or gyro video stabilization

Old 01-22-2009, 10:42 AM
the mother of invention

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD quality or gyro video stabilization

Am looking to get into the AP end of RC. Interested in the Aiptek line of video/still camcorders. The high resolution HD max 1440x1080 (30 FPS) vs. 720x480 (30 FPS) with gyro video stabilization. Anyone have an opinion? Will start with mounting on a Sr. Telemaster with Super Tigre S90-K motor.

We are building some new schools in our area and would like to document the project with video and still pictures.

Also would like to know if you can take the video out and transmit it via 900 mhz transmitter real time to the ground and see what the camcorder sees?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Eric
Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Quacker

Default RE: HD quality or gyro video stabilization

Hi "Mother..." Eric,

Is your interest in stabilizing the camera to the horizon or to smooth out the bumps?

You should be able to transmit your video if your camera has a real-time NTSC video output. This will be a standard, not an HD transmission as today's generally available wireless systems do not have the bandwidth capability to carry HD. I recommend that you check out www.futurehobbies.com for good wireless gear.

Regards,
Q
Old 01-22-2009, 11:22 AM
the mother of invention

I think just take out the vibration if any of the motor.

As for HD transmission I figured that it is not feasible. Just wanted to send down what the camera sees and get idea of whether it is a quality video or picture.

This is really exciting what quality that people are getting with such simple setups. Amaizing technology these days. I just am some what of a perfectionist as many in this hobby are. Don't want to make costly mistakes when so many have tried out most of this before. Also am not much of a photographer. My wife has always has taken the pictures and made the home movies.

My still digital camera is a Nikon D70 and is a little heavy and expensive to be flying around with. I have been out of RC for 12 years and just got back into it. The technology change in that time is staggering. Went to all 2.4 ghz radio equipment but not made the plunge into electrics yet for power. I know nothing about that at this point.

Thank you for your reply.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM
Quacker

I think that your first defense against vibration will be careful and thoughtful installation and vibration dampening. I do not believe that a gyro or even an acceleration sensor will be able to counteract engine vibrations due to their high frequency and magnitude.

Good luck!
Q
Old 01-22-2009, 11:36 AM
Quacker

Incidentally, I have an electrically powered Sr Tele. The motor is an AXI 4130/16 and there is negligible vibration, and more power than anyone would need.