Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > M.A.A.C.
Reload this Page >

what is maac

Notices
M.A.A.C. Discuss Model Aeronautics Association of Canada policies, decisions & any other MAAC related topics here.

what is maac

Old 01-25-2009, 07:01 PM
jeffrey_heslop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is maac

is it just a group or is it insurance?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
ISGUNN

Default RE: what is maac

It's a group like the AMA. Check out their web site www.maac.ca and look for your zone director.I suggest that you contact him to find out more about what MAAC is about.
Ian Gunn
MAAC 25307
Old 01-27-2009, 01:07 PM
perpetualrepair

ORIGINAL: jeffrey_heslop

is it just a group or is it insurance?
It is a group of fliers, set up to control the hobby in Canada, they also provide support to members and set the rules for safety and protocols at member flying sites, also each member has insurance coverage if flying at a sanctioned field.
If you live in Victoria there is only one MAAC Sanctioned field, and the membership is expensive and severely restricted.
Most fliers in Victoria fly small to mid size electrics and use parks, school playing fields etc. obviously there is no insurance available for these fields from MAAC,
The nearest MAAC sanctioned field is in Parksville, the PDQ flyers, they have a web site www.pdqflyers.com/ are a friendly group and welcome new members i believe.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:09 PM
donkey doctor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello; There are some flying groups around vancouver island that don't require MAAC membership. I fly every Sunday from Mike Morgan's place near Crofton, and every Monday at Quamichan Lake (when it isn't frozen over) You can P-mail me for details if you're interested.
Old 02-22-2009, 05:07 PM
patternjockey
My Feedback: (1)

If you live in Victoria there is only one MAAC Sanctioned field, and the membership is expensive and severely restricted.
Hi folks

As a long time member of this very club I feel it's important to clarify the view that our club is considered "expensive" and "severely restricted".

I'll start with the idea that it's "severely restricted". The limitation that we have is a simple cap on membership. This was caused by legal action taken by a neighbor to stop all of our flying at this site. The short story is that the membership, along with our various landlords successfully had the land rezoned to include a "Model Aerodrome" and allowed us to maintain this flying site. During this process, numerous conditions were placed on the club by both the Saanich Municipal council as well as our landlords. With the continued long term existence foremost in the mind of club members, the restriction on membership came about.

Since this time, we have grown our membership size and have had several former members rejoin as well as new members welcomed into the fold. In fact we are operating under our membership cap and we have room for more members at the time I write this. We have reintroduced flight training and are constantly maintaining and upgrading the leased property. Although it's taken a few years to get back on track, I know of no one person that has been turned away from this club since the rezoning.

As for the "expensive" part well that is pretty simple math really. Our lower membership size coupled with a sizable land lease payments to two landlords, over flight rites to local neighbors and the usual maintenance expenses creates a more expensive proposition compared to many clubs in Canada. (Tried buying or renting property in greater Victoria?)
The membership fees I pay are the least of all my RC related expenses and I consider them a bargain when I see the facility I have the privilege to fly at.

The club continues to manage itself well & is in good financial shape as we maintain a place for our members and guests to fly. We also represent what I consider to be the best thing about our club or should I say "society". We continue to provide a sizable charitable donation each year within our community. (Some $80,000.00+ in the last five years)

If anyone is ever in the Victoria area I cordially invite you down to visit our flying site at Michell Airpark located on Lochside Drive on the beautiful Sannich Peninsula.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Dave Reaville
Victoria Radio Control Modelers Society
MAAC 56510
NSRCA 3156
http://members.shaw.ca/patternwestnews/
http://patternwest.blogspot.com/

Old 03-04-2009, 01:42 AM
jeffreyheslop

yes i understand that the rules are there for a reason, but what about people who want to fly when ever they want, i was told that you can only fly on this day at this time with this member, if they can make it if not you cant fly. why would i want to pay, if i cant fly when i want, understanable you have to comply with the people living in the area. but where is teh fun in flying when they say when and how. i'm not no cowboy, i want to fly and just relaxs. i've been to the field up in duncan. and they are the best bunch of guys i've ever met. and yes they have rules, flying only on sundays, but in the summer there is also evning flying on tues and thrus. when i first got into the sport, i had no idea on what i was doing, i smashed up my first planebut when i went there they were so helpful, they fixed up my plane with me showd me what i have to do and stood beside me till i felt like i was ready. there is no judgment on anyone, you can show up with a pos and thell help you get it up in the air, from old to young rich to poor, they don't care they are there to have fun.
so thankyou for clarifying why the vic flying club is a stick in the mud, but i am going to continue to drive to duncan and enjoy the flying without needing permision
Old 03-14-2009, 11:36 AM
voyager_663rd

ORIGINAL: jeffreyheslop

yes i understand that the rules are there for a reason, but what about people who want to fly when ever they want, i was told that you can only fly on this day at this time with this member, if they can make it if not you cant fly. why would i want to pay, if i cant fly when i want, understanable you have to comply with the people living in the area. but where is teh fun in flying when they say when and how. i'm not no cowboy, i want to fly and just relaxs. i've been to the field up in duncan. and they are the best bunch of guys i've ever met. and yes they have rules, flying only on sundays, but in the summer there is also evning flying on tues and thrus. when i first got into the sport, i had no idea on what i was doing, i smashed up my first planebut when i went there they were so helpful, they fixed up my plane with me showd me what i have to do and stood beside me till i felt like i was ready. there is no judgment on anyone, you can show up with a pos and thell help you get it up in the air, from old to young rich to poor, they don't care they are there to have fun.
so thankyou for clarifying why the vic flying club is a stick in the mud, but i am going to continue to drive to duncan and enjoy the flying without needing permision
Wow! Sounds like Victoria is better off without you. Rules are meant to protect what they have now.

Getting some jockey in there who wants to do whatever he wants "without needing permission" is NOT what they need. EVER!

Old 03-23-2013, 06:14 PM
danilo-2

A very Old thread but clear example of Why MAAC and associated silly 'clubs' are fading as fast as their membership  Ages out.
 I discovered that the Insurance was basically nonsense as one's Household policy was The main ins coverage.
 Gee ...And for this I needs pay dues and endure sanctimonius old Fools.. telling me the rules as they see them and ensuring I obey them.
 I needs only attend Church services for that.
 So I stopped paying :-)
Old 03-24-2013, 04:04 PM
patternjockey

Yes it's an old thread but nothing has changed at our field & club... still going strong..... even if I've aged a bit :-)

Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 PM
4*60
My Feedback: (41)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Danilo-2 , our club is growing as well and having fun also. I'm happy to report that maac and those silly clubs continue to maintain relationships with Industry. And Transport Canada so we can use our radios and also fly in Canada legally. Glad you enjoy your independence. MAAC insurance is primary so you are in error there. In my experience fools often call others fools. Wise men have no need of that.