Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - General Discuss all other giant scale aircraft here.

HELP, need plans

Old 02-10-2009, 06:08 PM
corcguy
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP, need plans

Need lower wing construction plan for Great Planes Giant Aeromaster. Contact me if you have the plan and we will work out copying, shipping and payment.
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP.

corcguy
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Laird SS

Default RE: HELP, need plans

Wouldn't it just be easier to buy a completed bottom wing from Karl at Atomic Enterprises?

Karl

Direct line (260) 471-2866
Email [email protected]
website www.MyAtomic.com

Atomic Enterprises, Inc
3328 Congressional Pkwy
Fort Wayne, IN 46808
Old 02-11-2009, 05:52 PM
corcguy

LairdSS

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more specific in my post. What I have is the Giant Aeromaster KIT...you know, a big box of balsa sticks, sheets, formers, ribs, blocks in funny shapes and a good amount of plywood in different shapes and thicknesses and other "STUFF" that when glued and screwed together per the 876 page instruction "BOOKLET" and 192 SQ.FT. of plans, will result in one great biplane. Yes, I am one of the dinosours that still builds from kits and even just PLANS.

Okay, all joking aside. I purchased this kit last weekend at our annual club auction for $65. The plans had been cut up into building sub assemblies. That part of the plans showing the lower wing construction is missing. THAT SECTION OF THE CONSTRUCTION PLANS IS WHAT I AM IN NEED OF. I know I can buy the plans from Great Planes but that would run $30 with shipping because you have to buy the complete plan set. I figure there is a builder out there from whom I can buy the plan or a copy of for ten bucks or so. In my retirement I am watching my bucks(so's the wife).

Your referel to the Atomic site was an eye opener. If I were looking for the lower wing for an Aeromaster ARF this would be the place to go. I will add Atomic to my list of places to look for "STUFF"

Dick
Old 02-11-2009, 07:36 PM
gboulton
My Feedback: (15)

ORIGINAL: corcguy
I figure there is a builder out there from whom I can buy the plan or a copy of for ten bucks or so. In my retirement I am watching my bucks(so's the wife).
I've got a set of originals. let me double check with Kinkos to see if they can copy stuff that size, and if so, I'll be happy to mail ya a set for free.

(May take me several days to get an opportunity to run that way and find out if they can copy em...so be patient with me )
Old 02-11-2009, 09:02 PM
sebo

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It ain't real cheap. It cost 40.00 to have a set (2 sheets) copied Put into a tube and a sent to a fellow modeler. He paid the costs. Good guy.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:50 PM
corcguy

Mr. Boulton.

Thank you for your response. I will mention again that I need only the lower wing plan , I am guessing that is on half a sheet. Kinkos does have a sheet size limit but if they could copy just the half sheet with the lower wing plan I believe that would be within their size limit.

There is no rush on this need, I have several other projects in line. Please, I could not accept your paying for copying and shipping if this works out. Keep me posted.

Again, thank you for your effort.

Dick Laubach
Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM
gboulton

Mr. Boulton.

Thank you for your response. I will mention again that I need only the lower wing plan , I am guessing that is on half a sheet. Kinkos does have a sheet size limit but if they could copy just the half sheet with the lower wing plan I believe that would be within their size limit.

There is no rush on this need, I have several other projects in line. Please, I could not accept your paying for copying and shipping if this works out. Keep me posted.

Again, thank you for your effort.

Dick Laubach
Dick,

First, the lower wing plan is a full sheet, as it contains both left and right panels. Best i remember, however, they're identical, so getting you one panel might do.

As for the cost...don't sweat it. Here soon-ish I need to be at Kinkos ANYWAY for copying something else, so I'm not out any time...I happen to have a spare tube already on hand, so no cost there either. All I'll really be out is postal charges, and those aren't enough for me to hassle a fellow builder about!

As I say...gimme a couple days to get a chance to get up that way, and I'll see what I can knock out for ya, then PM for the addy.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:07 PM
corcguy

GB

Thanks again for your efforts. You may be in for a rude surprise when you add up copying cost(if Kinko can handle it) and shipping. I am guessing it will be $15.00, +/-. I must insist on covering your cost exceeding...oh what's a fair number?... 50 cents sounds about right. About the price of a postage stamp pretty soon.

Again no rush. Have a great day.

Dick
Old 02-14-2009, 05:56 PM
gboulton

GB

Thanks again for your efforts. You may be in for a rude surprise when you add up copying cost(if Kinko can handle it) and shipping. I am guessing it will be $15.00, +/-. I must insist on covering your cost exceeding...oh what's a fair number?... 50 cents sounds about right. About the price of a postage stamp pretty soon.

Again no rush. Have a great day.

Dick
Bah...no worries.

Over the years, I've noticed a great thing about this hobby...and I've found it to be "especially true" amongst builders. "If I've got an extra one, and you need it, it's yours" seems to be a way of life in this crowd.

I mean...really...let's say this whole adventure costs me...oh...$25. Ya know what? I can go out to my shop and point out plenty of "oh, probably about $25" parts, gifts, components, batteries, servos, tanks, plans, balsa, glue, whatever sitting out there. I'm just paying one of them forward.

And unless I miss my guess, you'll pay this one forward somewhere down the road.

So really...take the stupid plans and shaddup.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:27 PM
corcguy

OKAY, OKAY, you convinced me, no more talk about paying you. I'll shaddup. But Next time I help a fellow builder I'll let him know its because of your kindness. Now THAT you're just going to have to live with.

BTW, is that your Aeromaster shown in your site photo? If so you have doctored the tail feathers some. What engine are you useing? I am leaning toward a G-62 or DA50/DL50.
I need to stay on the upper end of the power curve because of the mile high altitude we fly at here in Denver. The altitude reduces power by 20%- 30%.

No flying today, to cold and windy. Head for the hanger(basement) and start the second wing on the 72" WS biplane I am now building. It is Chuck Cunninghams "Tequila" that he designed about 30 years ago. I would not have started it if I some how knew I was going to find the Aeromaster at our annual club auction. They are very much alike.

Have a great day.

Dick
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM
gboulton

OKAY, OKAY, you convinced me, no more talk about paying you. I'll shaddup. But Next time I help a fellow builder I'll let him know its because of your kindness. Now THAT you're just going to have to live with.
I can live with that.

BTW, is that your Aeromaster shown in your site photo? If so you have doctored the tail feathers some.
Er...which? Not sure where you mean.

I will I say i have not doctored the tail feathers...now, whether they were built to plan or not, i don't know...I bought it built. Only work I've done to it is put it on a diet when recovering it. Didn't change the shape of any surfaces in the process though.

What engine are you useing? I am leaning toward a G-62 or DA50/DL50.
IME, any of those would be a fine choice...Believe it or not, mine flies on a US 41.

FWIW, some thoughts on engine choice.

First : The things are apparently NOTORIOUSLY tail heavy. I know even with the 41 with the magneto ignition AND a spring starter, mine STILL has almost a pound of lead in the cowl. So, while clearly the 50's would fly her, be prepared to throw a ton of weight up there.

Second : The 62 is one of my favorite engines in the world, and I've thought many times about retrofitting mine with one. I WILL caution you however...built light, that 62 will be enough to 3D the thing, but it AIN'T a 3D bird, at least not built stock....for roughly a dozen reasons. I've always thought of it more like a "barnstormer-era" bipe, and fly it accordingly. In that realm, the 41 is actually QUITE a nice motor for it. Enough to zing it around at a fairly decent clip, but you still need to "fly it like a plane"...gather up some speed for a loop, manage energy during aerobatics, that sort of thing.

I need to stay on the upper end of the power curve because of the mile high altitude we fly at here in Denver. The altitude reduces power by 20%- 30%.
In that case, I'd absolutely suggest the G-62. While I suspect the 50's would fly it, the 62 will have more authority, AND you can use the weight.

No flying today, to cold and windy. Head for the hanger(basement) and start the second wing on the 72" WS biplane I am now building. It is Chuck Cunninghams "Tequila" that he designed about 30 years ago. I would not have started it if I some how knew I was going to find the Aeromaster at our annual club auction. They are very much alike.
Same here...lots of storms and such. Been making some balsa dust myself. Finally decided I was tired of looking at the spare set of H9 Super Stick wings I've had for 4 yrs, and set about building an airplane to attach them to. Really have no clue what it'll be when it's done...but it's a fun way to piddle around without worrying about being TOO meticulous on stuff.

============

In any event, I suspect I'll get a chance to copy those plans this weekend, and get them off you're way. Go ahead and send me a PM with your address if ya would.