Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Aeroworks Vendor Forum
Reload this Page >

New 85cc Yak 54 QB

Community
Search
Notices
Aeroworks Vendor Forum This is the place to go for all your questions concerning anything Aeroworks. Rocco, Mark, and the rest of the Aeroworks staff will be manning this forum so that they can answer all your questions.

New 85cc Yak 54 QB

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 04:26 PM
sevans16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 85cc Yak 54 QB

Well you know anytime someone brings a new plane it is a hit, especially when it is a "newly released" plane.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:32 PM
alqwad
My Feedback: (12)

Yeah, you're right. I guess I have no room to talk since I don't have anything in the air right now!! Once I do, we'll have to work on our tandem routine. I guess I should get off of my lazy rear and get to putting mine togther. As for now, I'll just live vicariously through you.
Old 02-05-2009, 11:03 PM
erwin peters

what about a bme 102 for this plane, it will fit ok in the cowl?
Old 02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
sevans16

No room for a twin
Old 02-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Smacka

My Aeroworks 85cc Yak 54 arrived yesterday afternoon, and I am shocked!! The outside of all three shipping boxes were beat all to hell (thank you UPS!). I feared the absolute worst....

Guess what...NO DAMAGE! Aeroworks protected each container on all six-sides with wood (Anyone who has purchased an AW plane already knows this). This is so *****'n!! It was packed so well that the plane did not have a scratch.

I looked over each part carefully. I barely found a wrinkle in the Ultracoat. I am extremely happy with my purchase.

My overall impression? None of the photos posted at Aeroworks website or on this forum do this plane justice. All I can say is "WOW!!!!"

It is now time to save up for my DA 85...
Old 02-14-2009, 01:03 AM
alqwad

Got mine ready to go... Nice quality. Overall, I'm still impressed as I was with my last AW plane. I found a nice fiberglass spinner for mine which I'll get drilled and cut soon. Aircraft was built stock with ZDZ 80RV/Slimline pitts, 7955s and 8611/8611a on surfaces and two Hitec analogs on choke and throttle. Simple setup with Smart Fly Super Reg and 3 Fromeco 2600s. No real attempts to save weight were made. 23 lbs ready to fly. I'm happy with the weight since the last plane that this engine was mounted weighed 28 lbs. I was happy with the performance of that plane and I think this one will be great. Hope to fly this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74887.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1134921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95873.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	1134922   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hn25260.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	41.6 KB
ID:	1134923  
Old 02-14-2009, 09:12 AM
Smacka

Nice job on the cowl cutouts. Once I make a cut with my dremmel, I use 250 grit paper and go over the edges of the cut to knock off the loose fibers. I then wet sand the edges with 400 to 500 grit. It ends up looking like it came out of the mold that way, very sheen look. I use testors touch up paint and paint the cut edges their original color to further give it that "Hey, it came this way" look.

Very nice job on the plane. Enjoy the flight!!
Old 02-14-2009, 10:58 AM
alqwad

Thanks. I had seen on FG that you were looking for cowl pictures and I though maybe you'd check here as well. That was my ititial cutout and sand and mine has been refined a bit as well. One thing that I had to do was cut about a 2 1/2 inch section of the cowl ring in the back for the muffler to pass through. With the way the cowl mouts and is designed, the structural integrity of the cowl is still intact. Weather looks good today. Should get it in the air today.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:33 PM
gregman50

Great looking plane, I really love my 75cc with the ZDZ Super 80 in it, the plane is ballastic! I'm sure this one will fly just as good or even better being a little bigger. I'm now putting together a 100cc Extra 260 and the quality is the same as both my other AW planes, outstanding! Unless someone comes along with a much better ARF, I will be an Aeroworks customer for life. Thanks to all at AW.
Old 02-14-2009, 11:40 PM
alqwad

Well, today was a success. Perfect day. About 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Got three flights in and no issues at all. CG was pretty much perfect as mentioned in manual. ZDZ 80RV seems just right and weight was perfect. Again, I'm impressed with Aeroworks. I'd do it again for sure.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51158.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	1135798  
Old 02-15-2009, 11:29 AM
Smacka

ORIGINAL: alqwad

Well, today was a success. Perfect day. About 50 degrees and not a cloud in the sky. Got three flights in and no issues at all. CG was pretty much perfect as mentioned in manual. ZDZ 80RV seems just right and weight was perfect. Again, I'm impressed with Aeroworks. I'd do it again for sure.

AWESOME!! I am excited for next winter to roll around so I can start my build. You know I just have to do little things here and there in the mean time, though...like loosen the hinges (clean excess epoxy from the hinges) and seal the hinge gaps, etc...

Congrats on your "bird". She looks great. I can tell you paid close attention to your hinges. With zero wind, your flight surfaces are all headed toward the ground with no power to the aircraft. If you had any hinge friction, that would not happen. They would be around null. Good job!!
Old 02-15-2009, 01:07 PM
alqwad

Very perceptive... I had used Gorilla Glue in the past on hinges, but this time I tried using the melted petroleum jelly and epoxy. I really liked that method. Good bond and virtually no mess at all. The rudder just flopped back and forth once it was done drying. Good luck with yours. I'll stay subscribed to see future posts.