Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks
Reload this Page >

HEARD CEN GSR 5.0 IS A PIECE OF CRAP?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Monster Trucks Discuss rc monster trucks in this forum

HEARD CEN GSR 5.0 IS A PIECE OF CRAP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2009, 04:41 PM
coyotegod

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HEARD CEN GSR 5.0 IS A PIECE OF CRAP?

I have been doing some research on getting a CEN GSR 5.0 and talked to a couple MT trucks guys at my local hobby shop and they say that the truck is terrible because of the engine. I did some searches on this site and most of my search results came back with the corsa 5.0 being a dud. What do you think guys, why buy a $500 dollars truck to get a crap setup. your thoughts?
Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: HEARD CEN GSR 5.0 IS A PIECE OF CRAP?

I wouldn't say it's crap, but there are better choices.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:08 PM
derrick05

There are those that say the NX-76 (7.7)is a piece of crap,but it happens to be one of my favorite nitro engines of all time.Youre doing the right thing by asking your question before spending $500.00,but just make sure that the people responding have had ACTUAL HANDS ON EXPERIENCE with this particular vehicle before they go putting their 2cents in.Youre going to get alot of replys from people that have never touched one of these trucks,but swear that they know it all,so watch out for thatJust make sure that if someone praises this truck,or bashes it,that they have the PERSONAL experience to back up their claim.My Nemesis is one of the best I have ever owned and I love it,but since I have never ACTUALLY OWNED a GSR,my input would be false to say the least[X(]
Old 02-17-2009, 08:40 AM
binaryterror

Lets just keep it simple.

There are far better choices in the MT world for product support, product availability at a local store, quality, and durability.

The only question is why consider CEN? Their offerings just can not compare to the top RC manufacturers, well it would be a lie to say they ever did compare.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:21 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: binaryterror

There are far better choices in the MT world for product support, product availability at a local store, quality, and durability.

The only question is why consider CEN? Their offerings just can not compare to the top RC manufacturers, well it would be a lie to say they ever did compare.
And you call that keepeig it simple???What do you mean WHY CONSIDER CEN?Appearently,for the same reason you choose whatever you choose[X(]Theres something that HE LIKES about the GSR.Have you ever owened a GSR?Have you ever even driven one?If not,you should keep that big ol fat mouth shut[:@][:@]Youre the exact type that I was warning him about.Keep it simple,sounds like A.A.[:'(]
Old 02-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I encourage spirited debate but won't tolerate personal comments or attacks. Members are encouraged to agree or disagree and share your point of views but not in a form of personal attack. I don't want to delete any more posts, so focus on the topic.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:12 PM
derrick05

Hows that keeping it simple?Have you ever owned a GSR or driven one?Were not talking CEN from 10 years ago nor are we discussing offerings from the past.Were talking the here and now,the GSR and nothing else,so if you have something negative to say about the GSR,wheres the evidence to back your claim.CEN 1/8 vehicles are some of the most durable on the market and I DO ACTUALLY OWN ONE[>:]
Old 02-17-2009, 04:57 PM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: derrick05
Hows that keeping it simple?Have you ever owned a GSR or driven one?Were not talking CEN from 10 years ago nor are we discussing offerings from the past.Were talking the here and now,the GSR and nothing else,so if you have something negative to say about the GSR,wheres the evidence to back your claim.CEN 1/8 vehicles are some of the most durable on the market and I DO ACTUALLY OWN ONE[>:]
The fun part is you didnt answer any of my thoughts. You just claimed things...POT MEET KETTLE sir.

There are far better choices in the MT world for product support, product availability at a local store
My Local 3 Hobby shops carry absolutely nothing for CEN in the way of parts or hop ups. They can order it though. They also will not carry the vehicles due to the problems of users coming back with problems...most commonly on the Genesis series. Proof is very few local shops support and carry CEN for their own reasons...PROOF.

Talk to user ThermalRD (once on here...Dale remembers him) about the problems with CEN's terrible support. They once told him to "shut up about whining about a improperly sealing tank and be happy he even has a Genesis LE, there are kids suffering in third world countries".

What does their GSR offer to a racer...nothing its illegal. What does it have to offer a basher...more but not nearly the durability or support or service that HPI and Traxxas have done for the MT market place.

It's simple math...go look to parts support and aftermarket support. If those are low for a vehicle there is a glaring reason...its sales are too low to invest time to make aftermarket pieces. I doubt the entire line of CEN's vehicles have 1/3 the amount of hop ups as the TMAXX or Savage series of MT's.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
DarkFire989

I had a GST, the truck was nice. But the engine was least to be desireable. I had problems with it.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:12 AM
derrick05

Exactly what I thought[8D]you can ramble on all day long,but the question was ,IS A GSR A PIECE OF CRAP?Nothing more.Heres Darkfire talking about a GST,wich is a totally different truck,and YOU still cant answer a single question about the GSR.You just ramble on about this and that but cant back up anything on the quality or durability of the GSR[:'(].I can tell you that your statement about Traxxas and HPI being more durable is absolutely false[X(]and I have the hands on experience with ALL THREE trucks to back up what Im saying.Traxxas is pure garbage.I had more durability issues with my T-MAXX than anyother nitro I have ever owned.My SavageX was pretty tough and a all around good truck,but durability wise,none of those even came close to being as tough as my Nemesis[>:],but the LST2 was the absolute best until I broke it in half.In all honesty,there are several trucks with better an faster engines than the cen,but as for out of the box durability and bashability,you cant beat cen1/8 scale trucks for ruggedness and thats without being biased and from pure 100% hands on experienceI have battle tested them all to the max.I still cant speak for the CORSA 5.0 engine,but the GSR is a slightly smaller NEMESIS,so I cant imagine the quality being any lessHuh,Traxxas what a joke[:-]
Old 02-18-2009, 08:38 AM
binaryterror

Exactly what I thought[8D]you can ramble on all day long,but the question was ,IS A GSR A PIECE OF CRAP?Nothing more.
I answered that. I never said it was crap, I said there are many better options out there. Parts and local support should be the main reason anyone buys something...waiting for parts to arrive is not nearly a fun way to end a day of bashing. If you can't buy CEN parts locally look to another vehicle, unless you like having to carry tons of spares (just in case) to have a full fun day of bashing.

Heres Darkfire talking about a GST,wich is a totally different truck
Totally different?...you mean the engine and body change makes it a whole new truck, oh wait I forgot the new color chassis must make it all new? It still shares nearly all of the same parts, it is a Genesis series afterall. It has the exact same wheelbase (the only reason the length and width are so different is the new smaller tires).
Old 02-18-2009, 09:40 AM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

In my opinion, I wouldn't get a CEN just due to a lack of local hobby shop and parts support. I tried a CEN Nemesis once and it didn't work for me. That and I have never liked a single body they have ever topped any of their cars/trucks with. I am going to hold judgement on the GSR 5.0 because I have never run it or even seen it. What I will say is that as an experienced hobbyist I would bypass the GSR for other similar trucks based purely on my experience and preferences.

Really CEN? Really?

Old 02-18-2009, 04:26 PM
derrick05

Very nice and educated post Dale DribbleI particularly like what you said about the GSR.Weather you like cen or not,you at least have the ability to not to pass judgement on things you have no hands on experience with and I can apprieciate that.Thats what I call KEEPING IT REAL[>:]
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I can tell you this, the GSR is part of the Nemesis/Genesis family. It is a derivitive of the Nemesis/Genesis, minus 4 shocks, and a 5.0cc engine in its place. Other weight saving features might be in play too, like only one brake set where the GST (Genesis Super Truck, another Genesis/Nemesis derivitive) has two brake sets, and a center diff (I think).

So, the GSR has way more in common with the Genesis/Nemesis/GST. I do not think Cenchain (CEN) has any other truck that is not a derivative of the Nemesis/Genesis/GST/GSR.

Dont get me wrong, these are very tough trucks. I dare say that can take more abuse than a Savage (not something I like to admit). The plastic parts are way thick. The diffs are extremely tough. As a matter of fact, I dropped in GST/Genesis diffs into one of my Savages. I have not stripped any teeth (yet).

The only thing I dont like about Cenchain MTs are the engines. The NX7.6 and NX7.7 engines are way overrated and are very slow turning. They are torque monsters, but they do not rev to 30000RPM like .28 engines do. 5HP? Not possible, Cenchain would have to make the NX7.6/7.7 turn 100,000 (one hundred THOUSAND) RPM and make no less than 50in-oz at 1000,000RPM. That is impossible for ANY model nitro 2-stroke engine smaller than .50ci to do.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:15 PM
R/C Lightweight

I have 2 GSR trucks. One with the Corsa 5.0 and one with a Picco P3 .28. Sadly, I've not been able to run either due to the weather here in Northeast Ohio. I've spent some time comparing the GSR to my other nitro monsters (LST2, MGT, MGT 3.0, REVO 3.3, Savage 25) and I must say, this truck(s) is (are) robust. As far as fit and finish is concerned, it's top notch. Thick chassis plates, ultra thick suspension components, etc. I love that CEN went with the plastic slider shafts similar to the REVO, as in my opinion, they work great and reduce rotational mass. I love my MG16 MT and had a Magnum NX (became my brother-in-laws truck) that was awesome as far as durability is concerned. I can only hope that the GSR can compare to the other 2 CENs that I own(ed). I know this probably doesn't help answer the question of whether or not the GSR 5.0 is crap, but if looks and physical presence and build quality are any indication, then I would think it's not crap. As for me, time will tell how I feel it stacks up to the competition.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:07 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree. I have absolutely no doubts that the GSR will be as tough as its twin brothers, the Genesis/Nemesis/GST. And I honestly think that it will handle a fair bit better than its twin brothers due to its lower stance (at least it looks lower to me), the higher speed suspension response from the looks of the shocks, and lighter weight that Cenchain has tweaked into it.

I dont know much about this truck, just what I read on the Cenchain website:
http://www.cenracing.com/cars/gsr/gsr50.html

Now, Cenchain actaually had a GST/Genesis/Nemesis win a championship in the US MT finals. So, for an MT, apparently, it has some race in it.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:20 AM
binaryterror

ORIGINAL: SAVAGEJIM

Now, Cenchain actaually had a GST/Genesis/Nemesis win a championship in the US MT finals. So, for an MT, apparently, it has some race in it.
Yup a well known driver put it in the A Main through bump ups, but that was in 2007, not against the 2008 crowd where the Revo and LST had much more in the way of racing changes.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:36 AM
derrick05

Yup a well known driver put it in the A Main through bump ups, but that was in 2007, not against the 2008 crowd where the Revo and LST had much more in the way of racing changes.
And your point is???You just cant stand the fact that some people actually have some good things to say about the GSR[:'(][:'(][:'(]Theyre rock solid and extremely raceable.Sure is nice to see this thread get some responses from people who actually KNOW SOMETHING about the GSR
Old 02-24-2009, 12:44 PM
binaryterror

And your point is???You just cant stand the fact that some people actually have some good things to say about the GSR[:'(][:'(][:'(]Theyre rock solid and extremely raceable.Sure is nice to see this thread get some responses from people who actually KNOW SOMETHING about the GSR
The GSR was not in that race in 2007, nor the race in 2008. Those are facts.

Raceable? How do you prove that fact? The Revo has 6 National Championships the LST2 has 1 Roar National Championship. The GSR and its line GST/Nemesis have 0.

All the above are facts, not claims. When you can prove statement with true fact, there is no arguement.
Old 02-24-2009, 02:56 PM
derrick05

I can tell you this, the GSR is part of the Nemesis/Genesis family. It is a derivitive of the Nemesis/Genesis, minus 4 shocks, and a 5.0cc engine in its place. Other weight saving features might be in play too, like only one brake set where the GST (Genesis Super Truck, another Genesis/Nemesis derivitive) has two brake sets, and a center diff (I think).

So, the GSR has way more in common with the Genesis/Nemesis/GST. I do not think Cenchain (CEN) has any other truck that is not a derivative of the Nemesis/Genesis/GST/GSR.

Dont get me wrong, these are very tough trucks. I dare say that can take more abuse than a Savage (not something I like to admit). The plastic parts are way thick. The diffs are extremely tough. As a matter of fact, I dropped in GST/Genesis diffs into one of my Savages. I have not stripped any teeth (yet).

The only thing I dont like about Cenchain MTs are the engines. The NX7.6 and NX7.7 engines are way overrated and are very slow turning. They are torque monsters, but they do not rev to 30000RPM like .28 engines do. 5HP? Not possible, Cenchain would have to make the NX7.6/7.7 turn 100,000 (one hundred THOUSAND) RPM and make no less than 50in-oz at 1000,000RPM. That is impossible for ANY model nitro 2-stroke engine smaller than .50ci to do.
Thanks for your honesty SAVAGEJIMThats hard to find now days.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
derrick05

The GSR was not in that race in 2007, nor the race in 2008. Those are facts.

Raceable? How do you prove that fact? The Revo has 6 National Championships the LST2 has 1 Roar National Championship. The GSR and its line GST/Nemesis have 0.

All the above are facts, not claims. When you can prove statement with true fact, there is no arguement.
Wheeew weee!Ha,ha,ha,ha,sounds like someones madder than a copperhead snake[:'(]I love it.Dude,theres no arguement anyway.It is what it is.Like I said,you hate it when somebody has good things to say about the GSR.Who cares about all that race stuff.Im a basher anyway and couldnt care less about a race.However,it sure is fun gettin you all stirred up like a rabid wolfeThe more I yank on your chain,the hotter you get,ha,ha,ha,[X(]now,goahead and throw out some more totally useless,who gives a hoot race facts,ha,ha
Old 02-24-2009, 03:16 PM
DarkFire989

Just like savagejim, Im sure that the GSR is quite strong, I wasnt trying to talk bad about it in my post above, I was talking about the GST because its similar to the GSR. Dont get me wrong my GST was very tough, and Im sure the the GSR is as well. Also going along with Jim is that the only thing I didnt like about the truck was the engine, when I could get it to run it was a blast. But with the GSR the first thing I might do would be to swap out the engine.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:20 PM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

Just like savagejim, Im sure that the GSR is quite strong, I wasnt trying to talk bad about it in my post above, I was talking about the GST because its similar to the GSR. Dont get me wrong my GST was very tough, and Im sure the the GSR is as well. Also going along with Jim is that the only thing I didnt like about the truck was the engine, when I could get it to run it was a blast. But with the GSR the first thing I might do would be to swap out the engine.
Cool!
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM
binaryterror

What wins on race day sells on Monday.

Go buy a GSR guys...they must be awesome...derrick05 said so and he's the most knowing man in all of RC.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:39 PM
derrick05

What wins on race day sells on Monday.

Go buy a GSR guys...they must be awesome...derrick05 said so and he's the most knowing man in all of RC.
Thanks for the compliment[8D]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.