Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Speed - RC Gas Boats
Reload this Page >

M-5 from WHH

Community
Search
Notices
Speed - RC Gas Boats Discuss gas RC boats right here!

M-5 from WHH

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:15 PM
painman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M-5 from WHH

Just a little research, has anyone tried the new m5 add on from Wharehouse Hobbies. What were the results, and was there a noticeable difference.

Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Jamming

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: M-5 from WHH

I know Tony claims a full one hp gain, And i have it in my team pro and it's considerably faster than my buddys gator with a stock motor. he also has a tuned pipe on his not a can. I would say its at least 90 bucks faster.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
painman

Well, with the economy the way it is I will be happy with 90 bucks faster. I went ahead and ordered one for the hydro, just want to see what happens. I feel sure the boat will handle the power without any problems. Still havn't got around to get pictures maybe tomarrow.

Take care; Randy
Old 02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
Jamming

I have my M-5 on the way also, Thats funny ! Great deal if you look at what one hp cost at other web sites. Looking forward to the pictures of your fleet. Coming to florida in 2010, Also looking forward to that !
Old 02-03-2009, 01:16 AM
mopartybob

Tony had the M5 on sale a coupla years back,I picked mine up for about 200.00$ shipped... , yanked the "stocker" out of my shockwave SS (42.3 mph) and GPS'd 51.7 ... definately worth it... 90.00$ for a DIY add-on and = 10+mph... sweet........
Old 02-03-2009, 04:22 PM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

I also have a M5 kit on the way, guess we will all try them out about the same time. I'm thinking about putting it in either my Shockwave of the Elam. Decisions, decisions....
Old 02-03-2009, 05:43 PM
t00fatt

I'm pretty much a noob and I have had absolutely no problems with my M5. She starts on the second or third pull every time, idles low and hasn't stalled on my once while idling even for a long time. I rinse my motor for 10 or 15 minutes, and I can just leave it idling the entire time without stalling.
Old 02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
KD0EM

That is good news to me; I have got a M5 that I got one year ago and have not tried it yet. However I am gaining to be putting it in a 54 inch cad, not sure what will happen. Hope to get 59 mph.
Harold

Old 02-03-2009, 08:18 PM
painman

WOW, Thanks everyone for responding to my post. If the M5 will add 10MPH I will be a happy camper. And I belive I will sell a lot of the upgrades at my local pond.
I have taken some pictures of my fleet, will try to have wife up load.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28269.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	1126867   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48089.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	1126868   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23842.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	1126869   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48406.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	1126870   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24302.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1126871   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq36135.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	1126872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50099.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	1126873  
Old 02-03-2009, 10:38 PM
Jamming

Nice Fleet !! Thanks for taking the time to post them. Hope to have a few more this year, But i think i will settle for a new racing Hydro. Love the mono's But its some thing about the hydro's that grabs my interest. Thinking about the WHH with a M-6, But i might get a silex, Who knows still cant decide on my next boat. Would really like to build a Turbine Hydro, But the tax man is eating me up this time around, so it will have to wait. Did some research and 10 grand is a bit much right now. Also interested in a Hydro with a stock motor for racing. Take care ! Nice Boats !
Old 02-04-2009, 07:33 AM
painman

I wish Tony would post pictures of the Hydro that they are going to be comming out with. I am thinking of another Hydro as well not sure, I like the Insane hydro Gen 2 or 3, but will wait and see what Tony's boat looks like. Had Mono's for many years and really having fun with the Hydro. And that is what it's all about. Where in Florida are you comming to? I live in the Panhandle northwest Fla.
About 5 min. from Pensacola.
Are you comming to vacation?

Take care;
Old 02-04-2009, 02:41 PM
Jamming

Will be there for a month in fall of 2010 to visit a friend and chill, So yes a extended vacation. We will be very close. In panama city beach. Then mexico beach and down the coast to crystal river and then to the keys. From there upto maine and vermont. I will bring a boat of two and hook up for a blast. We will be in motorhome so i can go almost anywhere. We will be staying at devils den, And Ginny springs for some scuba also. Do you scuba dive ? A friend in panama city will have his boat and we plan on some stage diving on the old oil platforms. And go snorkel with the manatees at Crystal river. I worked there for two years taking folks on manatee tours. So we plan on the fall or close to fall in september 2010. Saving vacation for a two month trip.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:30 PM
painman

That sounds great, will look forward to meeting up and running our boats. I am in Panama city every 2 weeks and have friends over there that are divers, you may know them.
I meet with a group of boat guy's in ft walton every week to get together and run our boats. We have a pick of ponds to run at on the military reservations.
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM
rcgreenhornet

hey i also got the m/5 it came in my team/pro let me tell you nice and fast starts evry time i used it 5 times But over heated now i know thats bad but how bad run grate bring it in to check for water and is comming through exaust but some time after 10/20min hear that some thing ant right bring it in over heated ???
Old 02-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Mr.Freeze

can you post a pic of the transom, I think you'll find the water pickup is prob to high when you are up on plane. unless you got their rd1 drive with the rudder pickup. I also have what is now called the m5, in my 41" cat and it is a screamer it will also swing a big prop as I had this same engine in my 60" wooden mono.
Old 02-08-2009, 07:55 AM
rcgreenhornet

hey thanks for the come back on the m/5 well yes i got the dule rudders water pickup is on the transom tony told me to enlarg the inlets on the water jacket so i did then took a pice of water line put it on the water pickup blew air through put my finger over exhaust out let got air leak through exhaust/manifode and some water fitting so i tighting up exhaust /manafol ithink i should weld it at the elbow and copler what do you think well anyways now there is no air leaking when i blow through water pickup i also put all new gasketts on the jug/new rings on the water jacket lick i said only ran about 5 times and never beat on the m/5 or over reved it should i replace the jug piston ring from the overheating what do you think MRFREEZE
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 AM
painman

Just wanted to let you know that I got my M5 upgrades today, can't wait to get started. Also going to add Hanson exaust system. So I got mine in 10 days or better, not bad service.

Randy
Old 02-16-2009, 08:45 PM
painman

Got the upgrade installed, had no problems getting it put together. just waiting on header and will head to the lake and test.

Can't wait to get the motor broke in so can open up and see the difference.

Jammin have you got yours?

Randy
Old 02-16-2009, 09:42 PM
Jamming

Yes, Got my M-5 kit and still waiting on getting my parts for the Hydro. should have them tomorrow. I want to run the hydro stock first then maybe put the kit in it. Thinking about getting a insane gen 3 hydro and putting a stock motor in it with the M-5 upgrade. The $650 full mod motor is holding me back. So if i can get the boat and hardware installed with a M-5 motor and get 50's i will be happy. Granted i enjoy my Proboat, Building anyways, Havent run it yet. But i would like to have a really high quality hydro or cat, So insane might be a good choice. Got any recommendations for a great hydro ? Or Cat. Only have $1300 to play with for now. Insane boats seem pretty exspensive. $450 just for the hull. Do you know if its worth it ? Sorry dont want to jack.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:55 AM
painman

I perfer the insane over the rest, also been looking at the areomarine hull. They are both a lot of $$$ been thinking of selling off some of my boats and doing the same. When you go to the lake with 3 boats it can become frustrating trying to get all running. I end up running one and sometimes two.
Almost sold one last week while at the lake to a newbe, he still thinking about it.
Are you still waiting on the collet? you might need to order a spare, a couple of weeks ago I had one start to crack and had to replace.

Good luck; Randy
Old 02-18-2009, 05:47 AM
Mr.Freeze

Hornet, I wouldn't weld it, just try to reseat it, I'm thinking you have the wet tuned pipe from wwh, I have the same one and you really need to tighten down on the locking collet to get a good seal. I still have issues with a little oil residue seaping out after a few runs but it doesn't affect it's performance. also what I was saying about your water pickup is where is located on the transom.
here is a pic of a woody I built using whh hardware, you can see the pickup placement.
[img][/img]
Old 02-18-2009, 09:42 AM
monsterbrad

I can't wait till summer
Stupid winter time
Old 02-18-2009, 11:52 AM
lomcevac540T
My Feedback: (1)

I installed my M-5 kit in my Miss Elam and everything was going great. I was on my second tank of break-in when I lost control and the boat took off and hit the bank. I didn't get a chance to run it at full throttle for more than a couple seconds, but there was a big improvement in speed. I would guess close to 5 mph faster. I can't wait to get this thing back up and running. The hull is split in a couple places and it kind of made me sick to mess with it any more. But I'll look at it again in a few days and see what I can do to get it fixed. I just don't think I'll be able to match the paint back up on it very well.
Old 02-18-2009, 06:18 PM
rcgreenhornet

MRfreeze thanks for the come back well your right do have the wet pipe came with M/5 team pro dont they sell leak free fitting for the exaust manifold were the elbow and exaust meet like your big boat and rc is real nice too i got the fail safe too just kick it down to a idle want to get the fail safe to conpleaty kill the engine and want too get the new shut down temp gard but i heard they are nothing but trubble and are a headace they cause raido glich and they work when it wants i dont live far from VT drive tractor trailer for a living go to middleberry vt twice a week well be good and play hard p/s is there any thing eles i need to know thanks rcgreenhornet
Old 02-18-2009, 11:43 PM
Jamming

ORIGINAL: painman

I perfer the insane over the rest, also been looking at the areomarine hull. They are both a lot of $$$ been thinking of selling off some of my boats and doing the same. When you go to the lake with 3 boats it can become frustrating trying to get all running. I end up running one and sometimes two.
Almost sold one last week while at the lake to a newbe, he still thinking about it.
Are you still waiting on the collet? you might need to order a spare, a couple of weeks ago I had one start to crack and had to replace.

Good luck; Randy
Kind-of what i also thought randy, So i did order 3 collets. Finally recieved them from funrcboats. they where fast, 4 days to my house. There aeromarine brand and they look decent. Little pissed about the iridium spark plugs i ordered though, There a bit longer then the champion plugs so they don't fit under the hatch of my boats. what gives do you know ? 14 bucks each and i cant use them. Hey need any plugs. LOL ! Got one more Helicopter on sale here and if it goes, I am going to order the Gen 3 hydro and a full mod motor from Jeff at insane. Going to run the hydro this week-end then i will put in the M-5 kit and give it a go. Figure about 3 tank fulls then all out. Got any links for the plugs in need. NGK please !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.