Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Monster Trucks > Traxxas Monster Truck forum
Reload this Page >

Just changed my stock A arms to RPM, questions about setting up front end?

Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.

Just changed my stock A arms to RPM, questions about setting up front end?

Old 03-01-2009, 10:26 PM
Geardaddys

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just changed my stock A arms to RPM, questions about setting up front end?

Broke a stock A arm a few weeks ago, and just got a set of RPM arms for my TMaxx 3.3. After figuring out how to take the front end apart, I've gotten the new arms installed but have a few questions about how they are set up. Initially when I screwed the pillow balls into the A Arms, I screwed them in so that there was 0 play in whatever the part is called that the wheel mounts onto. After getting the whole truck back together, I realized I had tightened these up so much that it was not allowing the truck to steer (even when the front end was elevated) because the arms were hitting the (steering block, I think is what that part was..) So I loosened them up a little so that the steering would work propely, but notice with the pillow balls loose enough to steer, there is significantly more play in the wheel/tire than there was with the stockers.. I know I must be missing something because these arms are so popular I can't imagine that they wouldn't work as they are supposed to.. Is this play ok, or should I tighten them until just before it starts to impede the steering?

After getting the truck back together, I also noticed that my left wheel has some "turn" in it? the right one is straight, but the left one looks as if it is trying to put the truck into a right hand turn.. Don't know how this could have happend with just swapping out the A arms, but should I just get the turnbuckle wrench and try to straighten it out?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

GD
Old 03-01-2009, 10:27 PM
cmerritt

Default RE: Just changed my stock A arms to RPM, questions about setting up front end?

ORIGINAL: Geardaddys

Broke a stock A arm a few weeks ago, and just got a set of RPM arms for my TMaxx 3.3. After figuring out how to take the front end apart, I've gotten the new arms installed but have a few questions about how they are set up. Initially when I screwed the pillow balls into the A Arms, I screwed them in so that there was 0 play in whatever the part is called that the wheel mounts onto. After getting the whole truck back together, I realized I had tightened these up so much that it was not allowing the truck to steer (even when the front end was elevated) because the arms were hitting the (steering block, I think is what that part was..) So I loosened them up a little so that the steering would work propely, but notice with the pillow balls loose enough to steer, there is significantly more play in the wheel/tire than there was with the stockers.. I know I must be missing something because these arms are so popular I can't imagine that they wouldn't work as they are supposed to.. Is this play ok, or should I tighten them until just before it starts to impede the steering?

After getting the truck back together, I also noticed that my left wheel has some "turn" in it? the right one is straight, but the left one looks as if it is trying to put the truck into a right hand turn.. Don't know how this could have happend with just swapping out the A arms, but should I just get the turnbuckle wrench and try to straighten it out?

Thanks for any suggestions!!

GD

ya just adjust the turnbuckle until it's straight
Old 03-02-2009, 06:27 PM
leroycool1

Default RE: Just changed my stock A arms to RPM, questions about setting up front end?

could you get some pics?? you should not need to change the turnbuckle at all
Old 03-02-2009, 06:29 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: leroycool1

could you get some pics?? you should not need to change the turnbuckle at all
actually ya pics would be good. Did you attach the turnbuckle end UNDER the knuckle or above it?
Old 03-02-2009, 06:35 PM
leroycool1

you should not need to do anything with the turnbuckle when puting new a arms on

i am shure you did not put the Pivot Balls in the a arm the right amount
Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: leroycool1

you should not need to do anything with the turnbuckle when puting new a arms on

i am shure you did not put the Pivot Balls in the a arm the right amount
+1.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 PM
JC2133

here's a pic of the rear of my truck after i installed them. hope this helps
Old 03-02-2009, 11:34 PM
cmerritt

ORIGINAL: JC2133

here's a pic of the rear of my truck after i installed them. hope this helps
he has them for a tmaxx not a revo.

just make sure the turnbuckles are moutned under the mounting point of the knuckles and that the pivot balls are screwed in evenly on both sides.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
BigDen2.5R

Screw the pivot balls into the a arm until you cant see the threads, don't crank them down all the way, then snug up the little blue caps until there is only a little bit of play and you should be good to go.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Geardaddys

Fellas, thanks for ALL of the suggestions.. I think that I have the truck adjusted properly now.. But I need to check the relation of the turnbuckle to the knuckles at the end.. Very likely that I had one of them upside down causing the tire to point to the right.. Great having such a resource of knowledge here!!

Old 03-03-2009, 02:32 PM
kgreenwalt98

i did this, but yeah the plays fine. When its too tight, the a arms get tightened into the tire pretty much, not allowing it to have any play for the tires to move. its complicated. just keep them semi lose.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:18 PM
clifflivs

When I put RPM arms on my t-maxx, I had the same problem. It made my toe in close to 10 degrees so I had to adjust them. Very simple fix though.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:47 PM
Hugh Betcha

The pivot ball is seated farther into the stock A-arms while the pivot ball is suppose to be threaded into the RPM A-arms less, (just until the end of the pivot ball threads). This changes the Camber and toe angle. Here is how to make those adjustments (with pics).

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=7399585&key=