Community
Search
Notices
RC 1/8th Scale Buggies Discuss the ever popular category of 1/8th scale rc buggies in this forum!

XRAY XB808

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 04:38 PM
nissan300ztt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XRAY XB808

Ok guys ive narrowed my new indoor racing buggy to 2 choces. RC8 and XB808 But I havent seen many threads on the xb808. So I guess im wonderin how many of you guys out there have the XB808 and if so please post pics and the pros and cons of this buggy.. This is gonna be an indoor buggy with a RB c6 and tuned pipe. So please any input will be great.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
rccheech

Default RE: XRAY XB808

XRAY is hard to get/find parts support for in the U.S.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 PM
INTEGRA

since you already own a Xb "so you claim"....the 808 will have similar durable parts and quality alloy's used.....and will handle a lot like the car it OUTRIGHT copied...the Losi.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:42 PM
nissan300ztt

Well Ok now INTEGRA I can find parts for the xb8 almost everywhere and there are lots of them. But I hardly see any 808 parts around. MY lhs has tons of xb8 parts but i guess the 808 is so new.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 PM
INTEGRA

the 808 is far from being new.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:53 AM
will13

INTEGRA and rccheech i dont think you are being helpfull.do you even have a 808?.anyway pluse points.very strong light and very easy too drive fast.plus quit a few more lol.bad points getting parts and there quit expensive.also if you get the old kit you need the diff case bearing inseerts.other wise your bearing will wear out your diff cases and blow your diffs up.i hope this helps you
Old 02-02-2009, 01:35 PM
rccheech

ORIGINAL: will13

INTEGRA and rccheech i dont think you are being helpfull.do you even have a 808?.anyway pluse points.very strong light and very easy too drive fast.plus quit a few more lol.bad points getting parts and there quit expensive.also if you get the old kit you need the diff case bearing inseerts.other wise your bearing will wear out your diff cases and blow your diffs up.i hope this helps you
Yes I did own an X-ray model a few yaers ago (XB8TQ) did not handle to my likings, I also did research on the 808 , I found that the parts support was poor in the U.S. I'm not saying that the X-ray models are bad to get, but if you need a certian part in a hurry for a next race, chances are it's not going to happen, besides how is telling someone that parts are hard to come by not being helpfu?? You even said it yourself.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
Edumakated

i owned both. Raced all of '08 with an rc8 and now I run an 808. I can say without question that that the 808 is exponentially better car build and quality wise. The rc8 isn't even in the same league. The rc8 may be a little cheaper, but by the time you get all the upgrade parts you need to keep it from falling apart on the track, you should have just bought an 808. My beef with the rc8 is that quality of the left much to be desired. I was constantly stripping screw holes. The car would break damn near everytime I took it to the track. The 808 is tough as nails, lighter, and I find it handles better than the rc8.

About the only thing I liked about the rc8 was the parts support. However, given that the 808 rarely breaks, it isn't like parts support is an issue since you won't be replacing much on the car. I find most people just order stuff online anyway. The only thing I have broken on my 808 is a diff case after hitting a wall at 35 mph head on in 30 degree weather. The car kept going and I didn't even realize it was broken until I pulled it off the track.

With that said, the rc8 in the right hands is a potent car. However, is was just a little too weak for my taste.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
nissan300ztt

i owned both. Raced all of '08 with an rc8 and now I run an 808. I can say without question that that the 808 is exponentially better car build and quality wise. The rc8 isn't even in the same league. The rc8 may be a little cheaper, but by the time you get all the upgrade parts you need to keep it from falling apart on the track, you should have just bought an 808. My beef with the rc8 is that quality of the left much to be desired. I was constantly stripping screw holes. The car would break damn near everytime I took it to the track. The 808 is tough as nails, lighter, and I find it handles better than the rc8.

About the only thing I liked about the rc8 was the parts support. However, given that the 808 rarely breaks, it isn't like parts support is an issue since you won't be replacing much on the car. I find most people just order stuff online anyway. The only thing I have broken on my 808 is a diff case after hitting a wall at 35 mph head on in 30 degree weather. The car kept going and I didn't even realize it was broken until I pulled it off the track.

With that said, the rc8 in the right hands is a potent car. However, is was just a little too weak for my taste.
Well I thank you for that response. That was the kind of answer I was looking for. So then XB808>RC8. Most of my local hobby shops have a whole sliding wall full of Associated parts. As I told integra I rarely see Xray Parts. Well the RC8 is soft and parts are easily available. The XRAY is hard but parts are like pulling teeth and gonna drain me dry. HMMMM I guess I have lots of decisions to make. Well edumakated thank you for that detailed answer.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:45 PM
Edumakated

Local parts support is over rated IMHO. None of my local hobby shops carry x-ray parts. I order everything online and I get it in two days, three at most. I race on the weekend and if I need to replace something, it is in my mailbox by Wednesday if I order on Sunday night or Monday morning. I am good to go for the following race weekend. The 808 rarely breaks, so it isn't like you need to worry about parts support. Just get a few arms and other minor pieces. I have $150 bucks of replacement parts in my car bag and I have never opened them. One of my buddy's convinced me to go with the 808 after he raced all of 08 and the only part he broke was an upright after a particularly hard crash. He has probably $250 bucks in parts in his tool bag and never opened a single bag after a full year of racing. All the parts replaced on the car are just due to slop after a full year of racing. I could damn near build a whole 2nd rc8 from the spares I kept in my tool bag and I used them often. I tell you, that car (rc8) broke EVERY SINGLE TIME I took it to the track. Parts support doesn't mean squat if you cant finish a race cause the car keeps breaking.
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 AM
vti-chris

If their are some other racers that use the 808 at the track they will also carry a few spare parts for the day. So basically one covers the other.
Plus Xray sells parts piece by piece...front and rear arms are same L-R so you only buy one piece.
I also own the car for 5-6 months as is my brother and we never changed a thing on it besides a bend shock shaft from a head to head collision with another buggy.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:22 AM
nissan300ztt

Thanx for all the input guys. Looks like im getting an xray xb808.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:27 AM
rc rock

post pics.....
Old 03-04-2009, 07:35 AM
grizz5

ORIGINAL: nissan300ztt

Thanx for all the input guys. Looks like im getting an xray xb808.

You won't be disapointed. The kit is a little dearer than some others, but the quality is exceptional.
These buggies are super tough. New hi strength plastic for the arms etc and all drive shafts, steering rods, camber links etc are Hudy Spring Steel. As are all the diffs.
Build quality is superb, it is a pleasure to assemble. The biggest complaint I have heard from people is the couple of hundred dollars of spares they bought for racing that are still sitting in their tool boxes in the plastic bags. These things just don't seem to break.
Included a couple of pics of my 808 now half a season old (going just a little hard into a hairpin in the last pic - drifted around nicely though )Powered with Stage 5 modded GO 5 Port. Couldn't be happier.
Run the kit set up straight out of the manual. Only exceptions - set front camber links to highest hole and rear camber links to lowest hole. 20% rebound on shocks. Set the ride height front and rear to 28 and 25mm respectivly, and it will run great at most tracks.
In the Southern Hemisphere were I am from, the big three in buggy are X-Ray XB808, Mugen MBX6 and Hot Bodies D8 (in that order at present).
Cheers [8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96071.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	132.6 KB
ID:	1150090   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql35079.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	118.6 KB
ID:	1150091   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dj11858.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1150092  
Old 03-04-2009, 04:46 PM
grizz5

ORIGINAL: vti-chris

If their are some other racers that use the 808 at the track they will also carry a few spare parts for the day. So basically one covers the other.
Plus Xray sells parts piece by piece...front and rear arms are same L-R so you only buy one piece.
I also own the car for 5-6 months as is my brother and we never changed a thing on it besides a bend shock shaft from a head to head collision with another buggy.
Hey vti-chris, how goes it man.

It's Shane (grizz1) from the GO threads) I haven't been on here for a while. Glad to see your still posting, and glad to see your running X-Ray now. Guess we both saw the light. This 808 makes my old GS CL-1 look pretty sick. Lap times and race results have improved dramatically since I made the change. [8D]

Old 03-04-2009, 09:07 PM
maglight

xray is a good tough buggy i got one easy to build...good instructions...
Old 03-05-2009, 12:36 AM
vti-chris

ORIGINAL: grizz5

Hey vti-chris, how goes it man.

It's Shane (grizz1) from the GO threads) I haven't been on here for a while. Glad to see your still posting, and glad to see your running X-Ray now. Guess we both saw the light. This 808 makes my old GS CL-1 look pretty sick. Lap times and race results have improved dramatically since I made the change. [8D]
I finally made the move buddy!! You can't imagine how much better this car is from any other car i've driven up to now. Much smoother and consistent. There are other brands which are equally as fast and stable and such but what people don't see is that Xray is bombproof for real!! You have to first finish a race to win it...lesson learned many many times.

As for the forum i rarely come to rcu...i'm mostly visiting rctech...but changed from GO and went to Sirio. Although i'm considering to get a backup GO engine this year!! 5 port this time!!
Old 03-05-2009, 04:10 AM
Nesal

I dont have either of them but have driven an Xray 808 w/ and OS VZB V-spec Speed and that this was crazy, great handling, flies really well and had exceptional suspension!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:02 PM
what_stanger

I also haven't broken my 808. I also ran a TQ which wasn't anything close to the 808, and I didn't break that either.

Definately a tough buggy.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:43 PM
grizz5

[/quote]

I finally made the move buddy!! You can't imagine how much better this car is from any other car i've driven up to now. Much smoother and consistent. There are other brands which are equally as fast and stable and such but what people don't see is that Xray is bombproof for real!! You have to first finish a race to win it...lesson learned many many times.

As for the forum i rarely come to rcu...i'm mostly visiting rctech...but changed from GO and went to Sirio. Although i'm considering to get a backup GO engine this year!! 5 port this time!!

[/quote]

Good to hear from you bro. I don't visit here very often either. I hang out on the RCTech XRay and GO forums mainly.
The 5 Port will be a nice back up motor. I am running a Massive Mods Gen 5, Stage 5 5 Port in my Ray, and it is wicked. With a 6.5 mm restrictor it is smooth to drive and has great economy with power to burn.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:43 PM
For_The_Win

ORIGINAL: Edumakated

So the fact that you"say the rc8 is weak" and all that.. maybe its the driver not the car.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:38 AM
slayerphonics

i see alot of RC8s race.. and rarely see them break.. well honestly I haven't seen one break.. maybe the owners are just good at hiding it LOL

Have fun with your new buggy
Old 03-10-2009, 12:31 PM
Edumakated

ORIGINAL: For_The_Win

So the fact that you"say the rc8 is weak" and all that.. maybe its the driver not the car.

The RC8 is weak compared to the other major brands. Anyone who owns an RC8 has to upgrade damn near everything on the car - top plate, steering knuckles, abcd plates. I ain't knocking the car, but the plastic leaves much to be desired. It drives and handles great. However, the car is weak and does have a problem with breakage IMHO. It is absolutely no where near the 808 in terms of durability and quality. Even if my driving sucks, the fact is that the 808 can take the abuse of a weekend club racer and the rc8 can't.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:48 PM
slayerphonics

I thought RC8 had a kit (for free) that upgraded a few parts that had a chronic breaking problem?

808 is definatly a clean looking buggy. but 629 for the kit...
Old 03-11-2009, 01:24 PM
DrDremel

The RC8 is weak compared to the other major brands. Anyone who owns an RC8 has to upgrade damn near everything on the car - top plate, steering knuckles, abcd plates. I ain't knocking the car, but the plastic leaves much to be desired. It drives and handles great. However, the car is weak and does have a problem with breakage IMHO. It is absolutely no where near the 808 in terms of durability and quality. Even if my driving sucks, the fact is that the 808 can take the abuse of a weekend club racer and the rc8 can't.

You are 100% NUTS! The guy that owns our LHS owns a 808, and he breaks more offently than I do with the RC8! (Although, in all honesty, we bought barely ever break)
Now if you want to talk about a lot left to be desired, then bring losi up, but don't try to say a RC8 is a "weak" car, because I've broken maybe one part since I've been racing it, which has been quite a few months......Xray has a better build quality, as far as fit and finish goes, I admit that, but you can't say a RC8 is "weak", thats just not true....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.