Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Firestorm and brushless issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 12:20 PM
Burlsey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Firestorm and brushless issue

Greetings, my son has a e-firestorm, he purchased a Losi Xcelorin 3.5t brushless and esc, I installed them for him, for the first few runs we used his 7 cell nimh packs, which while being a little underpowered and hot after, worked, I recently got 3300 20C lipo battery for him, the first run was great but the car now will not go full acceleration, it just seems to cut out, and stop, after a few seconds it'll go again. Thinking it was an underpowered battery, I got a 3700 25c lipo, and it does the same thing.

Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2009, 12:25 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Firestorm and brushless issue

Go to the E-Firestorm thread on here..lots of guys who can help you....Anyways that 3.5 is way too much motor for the firestorm..What gears are you running? Sounds like the esc is shutting down due to heat.Maybe drop down to a 14 pinion gear might help.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM
kahnen

Sounds like it could be thermal shutdown and/or its pulling to many amps for the esc. A 3.5t motor is lot of motor for a stadium truck.

Try going down in pinion a size or three. That should ease the amp draw and heat. If its still doing it could be something else.

Edit: LOL like he said. He beat me to it
Old 03-09-2009, 12:35 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kahnen

Sounds like it could be thermal shutdown and/or its pulling to many amps for the esc. A 3.5t motor is lot of motor for a stadium truck.

Try going down in pinion a size or three. That should ease the amp draw and heat. If its still doing it could be something else.

Edit: LOL like he said. He beat me to it
Yeah that motor is in the 70,000 plus rpm range....good for onroad cars but way too much for a st[X(]
Old 03-09-2009, 01:14 PM
Burlsey

Just ordered a 15t pinion.
So the motor may be too much? That's bad news, which of the losi motors would be ok? They do 3.5t to 17.5t, maybe a 6.5t?
Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM
Willystylz

I've got a 9.5t vector x11 stock spec motor and it goes like stink. Personally i'd stick to something in the 8.5 to 10.5t range.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:30 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Also, not just the motor, which is obviously too high rpm, but your batteries are border line when used for this application. You want something in the 4000 mah range if you get 20-25C discharge rated ones.

In case you don't know, for your truck, using a sorta fast motor, a good safe discharge rating for the lipo battery would be 80+ amps. So that would be say, 4000 mah 20C (4000 am = 4 amps x 20 = 80) or perhaps 3500 25C.

But yes sounds like your first start would be a diff motor, 6.5 or so, and try going down a few pinion teeth on this motor for starters.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:39 PM
Burlsey

The current battery is a 25c 3700, it still cuts out, I'll try the differnt pinion, if we have no joy with that, I'll get another motor.

The thing is, it was fine with the nimh's.

ORIGINAL: Slo-V Flyer

Also, not just the motor, which is obviously too high rpm, but your batteries are border line when used for this application. You want something in the 4000 mah range if you get 20-25C discharge rated ones.

In case you don't know, for your truck, using a sorta fast motor, a good safe discharge rating for the lipo battery would be 80+ amps. So that would be say, 4000 mah 20C (4000 am = 4 amps x 20 = 80) or perhaps 3500 25C.

But yes sounds like your first start would be a diff motor, 6.5 or so, and try going down a few pinion teeth on this motor for starters.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:44 PM
Willystylz

I'm pretty positive it's just the ESC thermalling and cutting out. With nimh's it wasn't a problem because a smaller amount of power was running from the nimh's thru the ESC to the motor. Now with lipo the power hungry motor is pulling too much juice from the lipo than the ESC can handle. The thermal protection of the ESC is cutting out the power.
Old 03-09-2009, 01:56 PM
Spoold95

Try a 16t
Old 03-09-2009, 02:03 PM
KyoshoFTW

i have a similar system...def hitting thermal cut out or the voltage cut out, when you went to the lipo did you change the settings on the ESc to let it know you are running lipo and to adjust the voltage cutoff? also after you noticed the throttle cutting out look for the flashing yellow led (thermal cutoff) hopefully this helps