Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Hellfire or Savage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:58 AM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hellfire or Savage?

ORIGINAL: supertib

A Truggy is setup differently, they are not for crawling, the articulation your showing is a benefit for crawling, not for crossing rough terrain at speed...measure your actual wheel travel, from full droop to full compression ....If your into slow speed crawling a Truggy sucks, if you looking to blast over terrain at speed a Truggy rules...Truggies are speed machines and really come into their own once you get them moving, they tend to glide over obstacles that will catch the skidplates on a MT... Truggies I do believe have more actual suspension travel as well, they just are setup to have more downtravel then uptravel ...tho just like a MT a Truggy can be jacked up if you want it to be, we could jack a Truggy right up and put bigger tires on it, but then it would not be nearly as stable over the ground..... Another huge advantage of the Truggy is its size, they are very long and extremely wide.. But as I say a Truggy is not for crawling, they are for blasting.
Since when is lots of travel only good for crawling?

Dude think about it... say that one of my tires hits a big bump... That tire soaks up a bump all the way to 8 1/2" instead of 4 or 5" which will save it from running out of travel and bucking itself into the air. How will that not help when blasting over rough terrain?

Also in regular travel I still think the mt wins. Higher off the ground= more travel required to bottom out.
Old 03-15-2009, 03:00 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never had a center diff apart on a truggy since i havent messed with them, but i dont see how they transfer power to the rear as well as they do. I would figure they would be doing a front wheel burnout most of the time. I guess they are built to distribute it pretty well though.

I guess i like playing around in the rough stuff rather than gliding over it wide open. Id rather run 10-20mph around in the ruts and climbing hills, so i guess thats why i like the MT so well. Id rather just run on a flat surface instead of flying over the rough parts. Easier on parts, and it looks about the same

Running in my cousins rough back yard wide open is no problem though. I rarely flip it, and it soaks the bumps right up no problem.
Old 03-15-2009, 04:07 AM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

A Truggy is setup differently, they are not for crawling, the articulation your showing is a benefit for crawling, not for crossing rough terrain at speed...measure your actual wheel travel, from full droop to full compression ....If your into slow speed crawling a Truggy sucks, if you looking to blast over terrain at speed a Truggy rules...Truggies are speed machines and really come into their own once you get them moving, they tend to glide over obstacles that will catch the skidplates on a MT... Truggies I do believe have more actual suspension travel as well, they just are setup to have more downtravel then uptravel ...tho just like a MT a Truggy can be jacked up if you want it to be, we could jack a Truggy right up and put bigger tires on it, but then it would not be nearly as stable over the ground..... Another huge advantage of the Truggy is its size, they are very long and extremely wide.. But as I say a Truggy is not for crawling, they are for blasting.

Dude think about it... say that one of my tires hits a big bump... That tire soaks up a bump all the way to 8 1/2" instead of 4 or 5" which will save it from running out of travel and bucking itself into the air. How will that not help when blasting over rough terrain?

Also in regular travel I still think the mt wins. Higher off the ground= more travel required to bottom out.
That is what I run into with my Savage, it readily drops a tire in a hole, then it gets snagged, the top heavy truck goes into a cartwheel or flips over on its lid. The truggy just kind of skims across, staying fairly flat and it does not have much tire drop at all. The truggy also has much less weight, I run my monster trucks a lot more than my truggies, mainly because they are comical to watch... I also like the wheelies... and I do not like the hassle of using a starter box..... I prefer to stick a glow charger in my pocket and pull the cord. Most of the cart wheels my Savages go into, the truggies would have just skimmed across that dip or low spot. Maybe I do things at a much higher speed than most people. I rapidly get bored just chugging around. I like to hear the engines wailing and watch the tires spinning.

The areas that I am constantly cartwheeling in my Savages are just so-so ho-hum to run across with the truggies. I have not found anyplace that my Savage will go that I cannot drive my Mugen, unless it is too narrow for the wider Mugen to go through.

They are both fun platforms, maybe my Savages are sub-standard.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:39 AM
supertib

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

If you actually ever hit an obstacle like you are showing at speed your T-Maxx would end up on its lid...... trust me, please i'm telling you truthfully a Truggy will make any MT look stupid over the rough...

Also a Truggy does have more ground clearance.... lift your truck till the tires are just about to come off the ground, then measure from your lowest point to the ground...on a MT the skidplates are the lowest point and are in fact lower then the bottom of the truggy chassis//not to mention your skidplates are a open invitation to snag something...Truggies have more travel and they have more actual ground clearance, what more needs to be said ?

Hey just so ya know this is all good... nobody is angry or getting worked up, in fact I enjoy the opportunity to clarify the facts about a Truggy and dismiss the myth that they dont have any ground clearance or suspension travel....
Old 03-15-2009, 09:03 AM
cummins driver

They dont have the ground clearence of the MT, especially in the center of the chassis. The chassis is also wider, so it makes it even more prone to getting hung up.

I think BudBud said his Mugen had 2 1/8 inch of clearence. My savage has about 2 7/8ths under the skid plate, and about 3.5 inches in the center of the chassis at stock height.

It will also raise a tire 7 inches off the ground before the others start wanting to come up. Will a stock truggy raise a wheel 7 inches off before the others start to come up? If so id like to see a picture of it

A truggy does not have more suspension travel or ground clearence than an MT, especially at race height.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 AM
supertib

BudBud just measuered and yes a Truggy has more travel.... your skidplates will hang up much easier then a Truggy bottom....When BudBud wakes up he can measure the clearance of the two machines, at the lowest point a MT is going to have less clearance....BudBud measured clearance when the machines are sitting static....the measurement i am looking for is with the machines lifted up to the maximum of their suspension travel before the tires leave the ground..basically how much they can straddle and still keep the tires on the ground.. I am pretty sure the Truggy can straddle more

in any of the video's posted a Truggy is going to eat up the MT, and make it look stupid doing it...trust me !
Old 03-15-2009, 09:54 AM
supertib

As for a center diff... They bleed power out the front end, but not all of it...we tune how much they bleed out the front by how thick of fluid we install into the diff....even with a very thin 7K center they will still wheely with enough power..... The ability to bleed power out the fron is what allows then to tackle hills with such ferocity, unlike a MT a Truggy will almost never wheely over backwards so you can use full power pretty much everywhere....

IMO a person needs to have a Truggy ! they are very versatile fun machines....
Old 03-15-2009, 04:49 PM
fabrimacator21

If you actually ever hit an obstacle like you are showing at speed your T-Maxx would end up on its lid...... trust me, please i'm telling you truthfully a Truggy will make any MT look stupid over the rough...

Also a Truggy does have more ground clearance.... lift your truck till the tires are just about to come off the ground, then measure from your lowest point to the ground...on a MT the skidplates are the lowest point and are in fact lower then the bottom of the truggy chassis//not to mention your skidplates are a open invitation to snag something...Truggies have more travel and they have more actual ground clearance, what more needs to be said ?

Hey just so ya know this is all good... nobody is angry or getting worked up, in fact I enjoy the opportunity to clarify the facts about a Truggy and dismiss the myth that they dont have any ground clearance or suspension travel....
Well I haven't see any beer cans sitting on top of drills where I run...

I'm not talking something 8 1/2" tall at 90 degrees, but more a bump that will kind of abrubtly higher. Kind of hard to explain.

By the way I'm not saying that truggies don't have clearence or suspension travel, just that it's not as much as an mt.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:50 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Reading this on-going thread of Savage vs truggy has sparked a new interest in me that I have always taken for granted as a basher. As for a mostly stock Savage suspension, yeah, they are too "springy", I guess that is a function of the shock oil thickness, the springs, and the bleed holes in the little disc dampers. I know that HPI in the R40 offers disc dampers with different sized bleed holes for tuning purposes so the shocks can become stiffer and softer by that tuning in addition to shock oil weights.
I am wondering how the Savage will tackle that "springyness" with the new Flux larger bore shocks? That and fiddling with the shock oil weights, the springs, pre-loading, and if the Flux comes with optional disc dampeners, etc. (I guess the stock Savage shocks are the reason why many have tried Losi shocks or even Cenchan Genesis/GST/Nemesis shocks).

As for the opeb bellies being prone to catching on obstacles, I am thinking that can be remedied with custom dropped CG TVPs and a cenenter FLAT skid plate instead of an arched-up skid plate. The TVPs I am thinking about are like the ones Chronic used to make when he was here.

And of course, extending and dropping the suspension arms is another must to improve handling.

When you are done, of course, as already said, this is a highly modded Savage, and it would be in the form that racers would mod their Savages into.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:22 PM
BudBud

I went out today to run my X and my Mugen MBX5T in a sump pond below our new RailRoad overpass on N. Ohio Street. I had set the first gear shift tighter on my X as it has not been shifting and was messing with it running across the ruts my Mugen hits at 00:24 in this [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ajbZRSnKOM]video[/link] and it cartwheeled, breaking an upright before I ever got the camera turned on. I have it fixed and may try again tomorrow. I also lifted the nose of the Mugen, hanging the tires in the air, blipped the throttle and the front tires do spin first, then as the rpm picked up, the back tires started roostering dirt. This area is not rough enough to challenge the Mugen much, I flipped it six or seven times in 44 minutes of run time. I ran it wide open across the wash outs going down the slopes and the ridges at the edge of where the water had been, I even span it around in circles at both locations. I will try to hit a rougher washed out and steeper sloped area with them tomorrow. Stock Picco 28, by the way. My Savage will not run across those ruts like that, you will be cartwheeling and breaking uprights if you try. Glen
Old 03-15-2009, 11:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

LOL, as much dirt that Mugen was kicking up behind it, it reminded me of Speedy Gonzales in those old WB cartoons!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKYQthgGU4w&feature=related[/youtube]
Old 03-15-2009, 11:11 PM
BudBud

It is fairly fast, those shadows running along the right side of the screen are 45-50 mph cars going over the overpass. Speedy Gonzales was always a favorite of mine. Unlike Speedy though, I do not seem very good at taking the most direct route.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:30 PM
stussman

A savy at speed wouldnt get 1 run across that ground on Buds vid without cartwheeling.
Gota love that wailing picco 28. Need mulchers on that dirt!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:46 PM
fabrimacator21

Well I can't speak for savages. That mugen is defenitly rippin. What truggy is that?
Old 03-15-2009, 11:54 PM
BudBud

MBX5T, I had my Savage X there and was trying to fix the transmission before I started video, I hit those washouts, cartwheeled and broke an upright. It has been running with no first gear for over a month now, or shifting so early you cannot hear it. I locktited the 1-2 set screw after running it in 3/4 turn. I got it to shift in the bottom of the pond, sounded pretty good, I was headed back to adjust the 2-3 a little lower and hit the ruts.... party over for today. It is fixed and I will run it again tomorrow. Glen
Old 03-15-2009, 11:58 PM
fabrimacator21

What do those go for used? I'm trying to find a roller. From what I hear thats one of the best truggies. I know mugen just came out with a new one but I don't have 700 bucks[&o]

Any other truggies you would recommend? Supertib? Again I'm on a budget.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:14 AM
BudBud

I bought that one just before Christmas for 335 dollars shipped. It did not have electronics or exhaust, it came with seven sets of tires, a bunch of spare aprts and a NovaRossi N528X 28 that my stock Picco 28 will outrun. It is not hard to see why as the Nova has tiny intake ports. It makes great toque, but it will not run with this engine.

I also bought another [link=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okmr1Sdvv8k]Mugen MBX5T[/link] abut the same time, a roller with no exhaust, engine or electronics for 205 shipped. I put a new Werks (Picco) 27 in it and I love it. That engine is now at Tib's getting the loving touch. They seem to have gone up to around 250-285 now. I bought four all together... one is the much less desireable MSR conversion... all under 200 dollars plus freight, except the one with the Nova in it. Glen
Old 03-16-2009, 10:36 PM
SAVAGEJIM

Bud, you should try to get one of those -6 versions, I am dying to see what the -6T has over the -5T.

Sad thing though, the -6T Prospec must cost an arm and a leg just for the kit! []
Old 03-16-2009, 11:25 PM
BudBud

I am not a racer, just a guy that likes to run hard. It would be neat to see what they improved, but I have a lot of truggies to tear up now before I need another! You could buy one though, and send me a report!

The RC Gods were frowning on me today. I went out to run, but everything seemed to go wrong.

Left my starter box battery in the garage charging, so I used my car battery... was trying to figure out an engine and ran my glow charger dead messing with it. Grabbed my back up AA charger and fired up my X, broke the upright on the opposing side of the one I broke yesterday.

Even old faithful, my first modded Picco would not start, second pull, the starter rope broke...with that, I packed up my gear and came home. []
Old 03-17-2009, 12:25 AM
cummins driver

Always bad to have those days BudBud. That was the story of my life with my first nitro!

Its much better now with a quality truck, and enough patience to try and figure out a problem instead of continuing to try and start the truck

Im hoping the pull start on my Axial will serve me well. I dont have a lot of patience with pull starts! haha
Old 03-17-2009, 12:47 AM
supertib

The MBX6T will likely not be as good for bashing... the 6Tw Truggy is 1 lb lighter then the 5T, chances are high that it is going to give up some durability to lose the weight....The 6T will be faster and more agile but unless your racing those gains wont mean overly much.... For bashing I think the 5T is the best platform....Now a 6T could easily be hopped up with some kingHeadz parts to make it as durable as the 5T
Old 03-17-2009, 01:00 AM
HPI_Savage_RC

ORIGINAL: BudBud

Grabbed my back up AA charger and fired up my X, broke the upright on the opposing side of the one I broke yesterday.
What portion of the uprights is breaking? I've heard several reports of broken uprights lately, yet I've only broken a couple in nearly 5 years.
Old 03-17-2009, 01:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie has yet to break an upright.

But it is not for lack of trying.
Stupid DivX update will not let Him edit video i movie maker for some weird reason
Old 03-17-2009, 02:38 AM
BudBud

I always break them where the turnbuckle attaches. You wind up with a turnbuckle attached to a little chunk of plastic and a back wheel that flops around at will. I have some videos with the broken parts and me still driving. Eventually though, it will spit out the dogbone or wedge it and lock up that wheel.
Old 03-17-2009, 04:23 AM
hhhs001

Hey people, used to be a happy basher, was really impressed by how tough the savage was (other than the bevel gear driving the diff). Now focusing on racing, so the savage is a little neglected atm.

Anywhos, what tib is referring to about downwards arm travel as you raise the car up is also referred to as "droop". It permits more wheel to ground contact as the chassis of the car tilts, such as during acceleration, hard cornering or going over bumps. Quite different to ride height, which is how much clearance the car has sitting still.

The centre diff has the most marked effect during acceleration. The savage will always distribute 50% of the engines power to the front and 50% to the rear, which is optimal for acceleration in high grip situations this side of a torsen diff. However, it also allows the rear tires to lose grip due to too much power, meaning more tailing and drifting during acceleration. Awesome fun bashing, not so cool racing.

Hope to get back into the savage after a while, but for now, I'm learning o so much more racing then I ever could just bashing. I highly recommend it to any basher, it'll improve your r/c knowledge especially if you're surrounded by the right people.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.