Community
Search
Notices
RC Fuels Nitromethane, Castor Oil, Synthetic, heli fuel, 4 stroke, etc...Fuel Q&A is here!

Rc Fuel Faq

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 08:10 PM
lx2008
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Rc Fuel Faq

hi, read some of these posts. just bought a new saito .56 4 stroke. deciding what fuel to use. i did buy a couple of quarts of wildcat to break the engine in with. can some of you pros tell me a couple very good brand names of fuel to buy. i`m not going in the direction of mixing fuel or anything like that. i buy my plane fuel from the web as there are no close hobby shops near me. the only one close(40 mi.) sells byron fuel and there not really a dedicated hobby shop. a few years ago i did purchase a gal. of there fuel and ended up using it to start camp fires! all my 2 strokes just wouldn`t run right with it, so don`t say that one. the best fuel i have used so far for my 2 strokes is Mach-7. its a Morgan fuel (15% castrol/syn.) that they sell direct to customers. have any of you used the Mach-7? would that fuel be good to run in my new saito? thank for your input!
Old 08-19-2008, 11:05 AM
crashinator

Why do they use synthetic oil?

Because I am lazy and dont want to read ALL ten pages of awsome knowledge, let me ask this.....if synthetics flash before castor and has poor anti-corossive properties, why is it so common??
Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ummmm...because it's easier to clean the model?
Old 08-20-2008, 01:06 AM
balsaeater

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why use synthetic oil blends only

Duhh becuase the castor can become like chewing gum in your motor

balsaeater
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Jezmo

IMHO downunder's answer is more accurate, at least among the crowd at my field. For some reason folks hate cleanup.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:34 AM
crashinator

You guys clean your planes??
Old 08-22-2008, 08:47 AM
balsaeater

ORIGINAL: crashinator

You guys clean your planes??

Nearly got it to the point of no cleaning

My MVVS 26cc has a tuned pipe and now a rubber exit and now its run in its using 10% oil synthetic EDL 5% nitro and seems to burn it all so cleaning is only on tail feathers every few flights

My Saito 180 is now run in using so is using the same fuel with 10% oil and 5% nitro and the rubber offshoot and again hardly any oil mostly only to the wheels

I figure with time and proper tuning that will reach no cleaning in a few months
I have a delta pusher with a 25 engine on the same fuel and the stuff exits to the planet

Allt he rest of the fleet is electric pylon f5d limited or sports F5b or slope soaring with or without electric drive

I only do 120 size plus in glow as the cost of the electric versions and air travel with big lipo packs is a serious issue with lipo weight restrictions so glow it is for now for big planes and below that its electric as small glow is to much of pain in the rear end

Balasaeater

My other planes are electric

Old 08-25-2008, 01:26 PM
zuko

Is it true I can add castor oil from the pharmacy to add castor to my all synthetic fuel?
Old 08-27-2008, 04:51 PM
Fuelman
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: zuko

Is it true I can add castor oil from the pharmacy to add castor to my all synthetic fuel?
yes
Old 08-28-2008, 04:31 PM
tccrab

It sure would be nice to see a list of Synthetic/Caster blended Oils suitable for Nitro RC fuel homebrewers.
I've spent hours sifting through this forum and I've yet to see a comprehensive list of manufactures, part #'s & current pricing.
So far I've seen:

Morgan Fuels CoolPower Oil

website is currently down
Klotz Techniplate 100/200
http://www.klotzlube.com/storeCats.asp?ci=8
Cooper Fuels Liquid Fire
http://www.cooperfuels.com/airfuel_2.htm
Motul Micro
http://www.motul.com.au/product_line...2stroke06.html
Blendzall 460
http://www.blendzall.com/

Castrol M

Mobil Turbine Oil

I will come back and edit this posting as I learn more about each individual product.

TomC
Old 08-29-2008, 05:59 AM
balsaeater

model technics fuel

http://www.modeltechnics.com/glowfuel/glowfuel.html

is the source for ML 70 and EDL and modeling other oils

but seems you have to get it from agents like the few I found in english speaking countries

www.greenhobbymodel.com ( supplies the all fuel components seperatly for home brew )

or

www.perkins.co.UK etc in the uk

and many other agents to numerous to mention exist in Europe but 98% only sell ready made fuels and not components

also graupner sell a good oil product

www.graupner.de

https://shop.graupner.de/webuerp/ser...I?ARTN=2600.1L

or source from local world agent

Balsaeater

Old 08-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Lille-bror

Yo.

If you read the product info from AeroSynth (AeroSynth 3 oil) http://www.aerosynth.de/pages/pdfs/ASynthEng.pdf you should not mix it with castor.
Old 08-30-2008, 03:41 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Lille-bror

Yo.

If you read the product info from AeroSynth (AeroSynth 3 oil) http://www.aerosynth.de/pages/pdfs/ASynthEng.pdf you should not mix it with castor.
To be more accurate, it says not to mix with other oils or fuels.

I suspect the reason for that statement is because there's no way Aerosynth can now what might be in those other fuels and oils and some other synthetics may cause unwanted chemical reactions between the additives if not be base-stocks.

Castor however, is benign. It almost certainly won't react with Aerosynth - but then again, there's probably little need to add it, since I've heard of no issues with wear or corrosion when using Aerosynth.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:30 PM
lancier

Default RE: More Q&A

Hello, I have a Traxxas Revo 3.3 which i purchased over a year ago and have not been able to get it started due to non availability of Nitro fuel in my country. Methanol and castor oil is readily available though. I tried starting the engine using FAI fuel without success. Is there any alternative to nitromethene that i can add to the FAI fuel set up that will start the truck. I was advised to use a Hot gloy plug like the McCoy 59 with Zero% nitro fuel. Will this work. I was using the medium glow plug that came with the truck. Any advise and suggestion will be apprerciated. Thanks!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:09 PM
downunder

Default RE: More Q&A

ORIGINAL: lancier
I tried starting the engine using FAI fuel without success.
Your engine should certainly start and run with that fuel because that's all my son uses in his Mach 28 even for racing. A hot plug is best for an unmodified engine running on zero nitro but the heat range of a plug is immaterial when starting because it's the battery supplying the heat then. If the coil glows orange to yellow hot then that should be more than enough to get it running. So long as the plug glows hot enough and there's no other problem with the engine like air or compression leaks then with enough prime it should start. Does it fire at all when you try to start it or just not keep running? You can try adding about 3% acetone to the fuel as an alternative to nitro but don't be tempted to add much more than that.
Old 10-02-2008, 11:47 AM
lancier

Thanks for your reply downunder. It does not fire at al. I use the EZ start and the engine just keeps spinning without any sign of ignition. I will get some hot glow plugs and try again.

What needle settings should i use? The factory settings or what?

Can you give me the measurements of mixing a 5 litre can using ml for the methanol, castor oil and acetone mix?

I heared i can convert the TRX engine to a Davis Diesel engine which will give the engine more power that a zero% nitro run fuel. Do you think i should invest in a conversion kit. The fuel components for a dieselized engine is pretty much available here. What do you think?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM
Fuelman

ORIGINAL: lancier

Thanks for your reply downunder. It does not fire at al. I use the EZ start and the engine just keeps spinning without any sign of ignition. I will get some hot glow plugs and try again.

What needle settings should i use? The factory settings or what?

Can you give me the measurements of mixing a 5 litre can using ml for the methanol, castor oil and acetone mix?

I heared i can convert the TRX engine to a Davis Diesel engine which will give the engine more power that a zero% nitro run fuel. Do you think i should invest in a conversion kit. The fuel components for a dieselized engine is pretty much available here. What do you think?
I agree with downunder, if you have a good plug and it is properly energised, it will fire. I would set the needles at the defaults settings in the instruction manual for getting it started, then go from there.
To make an FAI zero nitro fuel with 3% acetone, for a 5 liter container use this:
3850ml methanol
150ml acetone
1000ml castor oil

I would refrain from using a diesel conversion for your little car engine. These little high winding engines are not built sturdy enough for the demands a true compression ignition engine will will place upon the rod. True, all you need to make model diesel fuel is diethel ether, castor oil and kerosene.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:50 PM
lancier

Thanks fuelman...I saw the video of a Dieselized Revo 3.3 on youtube and the performaance was fantastic. I also read on the net that davis diesel conversion kit comes with a modified bigger piston rod that would give the better torque on the diesel engine. If on the long run, a zero nitro fuel wont give me good performance, shouldnt i rather switch to the diesel engine?. What's your take on this?

Plese can you give me the measurements in ml for a 1 liter container. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2008, 02:07 PM
Fuelman

One liter of fluid is 1000ml

If you want to make one liter of the fuel above,:
770 ml methanol
30 ml acetone
200 ml castor oil

If you want to try diesel if this does not work for you, then report back to us and let us know how it worked out for you.
Old 10-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Knorretje

Hi everybody,

I build for hobby micropuller, its on scale tractorpulling. See this link [link=http://www.micropulling.nl]micropulling netherlands[/link]

I use at this moment a Saito 450R.

What i want is to gett most power from it as possible.

At this moment i use the folowing fuel content:

25% Nitro
12% Oil Aerosynt3
63% Methanol

I cant go higher in Nitro because the engine starts then to detonate.

There where some little changes to the engine itself, and runs now a prop MEJZLIK 28 * 12 with 6800 rpm.

Because in the pull the engine will only run for 30 seconds, i have no overheating, or other problems.

What can i do with the fuel to get more power?

When there are other suggestions to get more power please let me hear?

Thanks,
Great toppic,

Frank

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65506.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	1051017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67863.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	1051018  
Old 10-13-2008, 03:04 PM
XJet
Banned

To get more power you'll have to run more nitromethane - but as you've noticed, that produces detonation.

To eliminate the detonation you'll have to lower the compression ratio this could be done by fitting a shim under the cylinders to raise them slightly.

The thickness of this shim would depend on the amount of nitro you run and would be best established empirically.

Of course the tappets would then have to be reset too.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:20 PM
balsaeater

Bumping up nitro to 100% is the best way to get the most power
But that means serious modifications to engine

Sato 4 stroke wrong engine for this activity

You should opt for some 2 stroke single cyclinder really strong engine like MVVS Super Tiger MDS preferably marine versions that already rated for high nitro

Then go for 60% nitro or higher

The higher the nitro the more the cooling from the nitro but the more expensive the fill up

Balsaeater
Old 03-20-2009, 10:46 AM
controlliner

Fuelman,

Has anyone successfully used olive oil in place of castor oil in glow fuel?
Old 03-27-2009, 06:14 PM
Fuelman

ORIGINAL: controlliner

Fuelman,

Has anyone successfully used olive oil in place of castor oil in glow fuel?
Not that I know of. I've never tried it nor would I have a desire to try it.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 AM
balsaeater

I have a memory that some deisel engines used olive oil for bio fuel running as the fuel .It also meant from memory that they didnt need lubricating oil.It is often possible to convert a glow engine to diesel if you want to copy that . I think it on youtube novel diesel engines and threads in RCUNIVERSE on diesel engines

Balsaeater

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.