Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Giant Scale Cars
Reload this Page >

what do you all think about this baja clone

Notices
RC Giant Scale Cars For all those who love driving large scale rc cars share your projects or ask questions here.

what do you all think about this baja clone

Old 03-23-2009, 03:26 PM
TCB 81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what do you all think about this baja clone

i tried to get people's thought on this clone in a other post but didn't get any feedback I'm really thinking about ordering this and would like to know what you pros think about it before i do it seems to be a upgraded km it seems to have better servos and diff and a fuelie 26cc motor which is also a upgrade from the 23cc fuelie looks like this might be the clone to the hpi baja 5bss thanks for any help you can give.... [link]https://www.predatorrc.com.au/product_info.php?currency=USD&products_id=167&osCsid=ri4960n8gpj92m4fh0catr6jf2[/link]
Old 03-23-2009, 03:48 PM
i8tweety
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: what do you all think about this baja clone

The pic of the new buggy does not have a tuned pipe or any of the upgrades on the banner pic.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM
speedy.d

as far as bajas go i dont see why you dont just get a real one, if price is an issue look into a used one.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:07 PM
TCB 81

yeah it don't say anything about coming with the pipe it tells you everything it comes with in the description i think mainly its the km only with better servos,diff and motor and it says something about better sway bars too i think as for the banner pic I'm pretty sure its just for advertisement
Old 03-23-2009, 04:09 PM
TCB 81

ORIGINAL: speedy.d

as far as bajas go i dont see why you dont just get a real one, if price is an issue look into a used one.
i dont want to buy other peoples problems who knows how they took care of it
Old 03-23-2009, 08:19 PM
46u
My Feedback: (3)

From what I have read the clones do not have very good engines. So buy the time you buy a clone and a good engine you could have just about bought the real deal.
Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM
cflchurch

i say go for it . if its good, then great if its cheap then fix whats broken. most parts are interchangeable, so no worries. its alot of money , so think hard and long. you do get what you pay for. I just got a 5t and its awsome. I didn't want to spend 1100 but In the end im glad I did. I may want a clone as back up though. shhhh dont tell anyone.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:30 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

hey bud!! the 5t rocks!! i'll be picking one up in a few months!! but i'll still smoke you with my tt. you ever wana go bashing let me know.. have rc.. will travel!!
heres what it looks like now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXOrb...e=channel_page
Old 03-23-2009, 11:53 PM
cflchurch

dont mean to hi jack wait , yes i do , nice vid, glad you popped her cherry with the front wheel. and yes that thing rips. I want another one but might hold out till hpi makes a 4wd baja. who knows anyway nice bash spot too. Brian
Old 03-24-2009, 12:39 AM
TCB 81

ORIGINAL: 46u

From what I have read the clones do not have very good engines. So buy the time you buy a clone and a good engine you could have just about bought the real deal.
see this is what i don't understand guys are saying the motors on the clone is not very good compared to the real hpi baja but if you look at the hpi baja ss specs it comes with the fuelie 26cc motor then you look at the clone baja i put the link too and look at the specs to it t says it comes with the fuelie 26cc motor wouldn't that mean it has the same motor as the hpi baja ss or am i missing something i just don't see how the hpi motor could be better if its says it come with the same thing as the clone .....
Old 03-24-2009, 12:56 AM
cflchurch

see if this makes sense. I'm a plumber, you can buy a delta faucet at home depot model #123a for 50.00 and if you go to a supply house for prof plumbers and buy a delta faucet #123b for 75.00 . fuelie or cy or who ever makes that engine has two product lines. one line has great production and tight tolerences and the other line whips out just as fast as they can. both are fuelie and both are 26. one has a little better quality to it than the other . like i said just buy it . they all break , then upgrade to the heavy duty stuff.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:07 AM
hitman1985

cfchurch,
i think it kinda makes sense,
but the basic idea is that he has fun for the first couple of rides, which don't understand me wrong. will have i m sure, but with a better quality vehicle he might have some more fun before breakdowns, i can tell u a good story about it cuz i was the maniac around my area as i had a big scale, stuff like this [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UScI2cAlg6g[/youtube] was ON every weekend just dont have much footage to bring with cuz i stopped driving for 2 yrs almost, i am just now getting back to a financial stable position to start back up with a brand new rc truck in georgia so i have to import most my stuff now ... back to topic, i would say if you looking forward in keeping the truck for nice and shine, go with it, but if your putting strain on it, get a baja original, have heard a lot of good reviews from my old buddys about them bajas.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:03 AM
cflchurch

ya, thats what i was sorta saying. they both will break, the baja not as fast though. nice vid.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:47 PM
kryptonite5b
My Feedback: (-2)

im just dieing to find out what direction he's going in. sounds like the 5b is going to be his pick. and as far as the mills go? i dont think its a big concern. i had the no name 23cc in my old fakey. put a head kit on it and ran it for 5 gallons. the 26 is way better, but for $75 throw a 28.5 and rip it it up. the good thing about the cloney is you can order hpi parts right from the hobby shop.. did you see the review on largescaleforum that bigger the better did? its really good and he has an origanel 5b to compare everything to
Old 03-24-2009, 07:33 PM
SAVAGEJIM

ORIGINAL: TCB 81

see this is what i don't understand guys are saying the motors on the clone is not very good compared to the real hpi baja but if you look at the hpi baja ss specs it comes with the fuelie 26cc motor then you look at the clone baja i put the link too and look at the specs to it t says it comes with the fuelie 26cc motor wouldn't that mean it has the same motor as the hpi baja ss or am i missing something i just don't see how the hpi motor could be better if its says it come with the same thing as the clone .....
The problem is that the engine sold on this RC is not the real Fuelie CY engine. They call it a "26cc Fuelie Engine CY Type " which means it is a clone of the real Fuelie CY engine.

Ask any of the clone owners (FS, KM, SQ, etc.) and what most of them will tell you is the clone engine is one of the first thing to be upgraded. Most of them will tell you they go ahead and bash the piss out of the clone engines knowing they are going to fail one way or another and then upgrade to a real CY engine when that happens. Many other clone owners also simply rip out the clone engine and mount in a real Fuelie CY straight away.

But in reality, if you want a clone, if the seller offers the option to upgrade the clone engine with a real CY engine, I strongly suggest you pay the extra and purchase the clone with the upgrade. You really will not regret taking this option if you do.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:54 PM
hitman1985

the zenoah 260 that i had with my fg monster in 07 was almost undestroyable, but after about 20 gallons i swapped out the engines to a 260 zenoah that i ve purchased new for a few bucks from a desperate kid

so between bot the 260 zenoahs on the fg monster, i ve had about 6 month of active driving almost every day for an hour or two.

Old 03-24-2009, 08:04 PM
SAVAGEJIM

I agree here! The 260s that I still have are still running, and one of them has seen some abuse (not necessarily hits and crashes, but some times of overheating and even a stint wehre I ran the sucker too lean). It still fires up like a charm, much easier than even starting up my weed-eater! Just a few tugs of the pullstart and it goes!

Zenoah, short of modded engines from ESP, Oddified, TS, or Bowlin, is the best engine one can get! And yes, clone owners also buy up Zenoahs and drop them in too!

I was checking out some threads in LSF, and some Baja guys took marine Zenoahs (the 4bolt ones) and modded those for their Bajas (I think their Bajas were the KMs. If not, they probably were the SQs). Of course, they also discussed the drivetrain upgrades they installed too. Most RCs, even FGs, require some drivetrain upgrades to take the higher torque outputs of modded engines.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:13 PM
hitman1985

i never upgraded the engine size

loved the performance between zenoah 260 (slightly modded) together with a jetpro silenced version

wheelies in the mid hill sometime where no problem, to much torque is not good in my eyes, seen these kids with 29cc and such, its a waste, the 260 zenoah puts down just enough power if you know how to tune and upgrade the fg monster, its down to 3 - 5 parts that will break:
- rims (they will spin out from the torque and momentum sometimes) details can be provided
- upper a arms rear (i leave them plastic) i always prefer with big jumps to have something easy break rather then the inner mounted parts.
- uprights front ( plastic as well) easy to replace and dirt cheap, reinforced versions usually lasted me a day a piece if i was goin for jumps
- wheels ( i always drove without thoose donuts in them) non foamed wheels will get a lot better grip and dont feel like driving on eggs if your offroad :P
- chassis (i never cared much about it besides if i was able to see thru id throw them away )
Old 03-24-2009, 08:35 PM
DUSTIN72

here's a pic of mine, i think it's ok. it's not a 5b but i have one of those too and both of them are driven equally and hold up very well. i have done the same mod's to both and had great results.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:15 PM
EngageRC

wake up...

the original poster is associated with the link...

1st post.. price was 7xx+
2nd post. . price adjust to 5xx

nice going xxx81
Old 03-26-2009, 03:34 AM
TCB 81

ORIGINAL: EngageRC

wake up...

the original poster is associated with the link...

1st post.. price was 7xx+
2nd post. . price adjust to 5xx

nice going xxx81
first of all Mr engayrc don't accuse me of anything until you do your homework and know the truth i don't work for or own any r/c company and i don't need you starting untrue rumors about me and as for the price being different from the first time i posted it. the first one was what it cost in australia and i found the price for what it cost in the u.s so i used that link the 2ND time so people knew what it is id be paying for it since I'm in the u.s so i think you need to wake up and think before you type i'm just here to get suggestions on what people think would be my best bang for the buck as this will be my first 1/5 scale r/c so please don't say something until you know its true know the facts before you state them...and thank you all for the help your giving i really do appreciate it......
Old 03-29-2009, 02:21 AM
EngageRC

clones are very affordable.
get the clone and up the engine and pipe. way to go.
try the fleabay... or ask the guy above..