Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Community
Search
Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I''m interested in following this build thread
91.11%
I''m not too interested, but I think others would be.
6.67%
It''s been done for an electric, so probably not
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

ORIGINAL: trevtt600

Hello All. I am just about done with my Nitro 421. I will post some pictures when i get home. I am glad that more people are seeing the potential of this model. They did a very good job modeling it. I have flown the real airplane many times, and has come to be my favorite GA twin engine plane. I am using twin GMS .47 with inverted pitts mufflers, Robart 700 series retracts, LED light kit, and have added deice boots to the plane. After seeing the last few posted, i think i will be adding some static wicks, and a few other details. I did the first engine run this weekend, and boy what a great sound. I look forward to seeing everyones build!!
Pictures please. Look forward to them

Chuck.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:20 AM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay P-Diddy,
Nice build...and I have had some great experiences with the K & B .45 Sportster. I've flown all the sportster engines and two differnt .45's. They were all reliable, easy to start and I was impressed the the power of the .45. They are inexpensive, good running and reliable. This is my personal experiece running these engines since they came out onto the market. I'll admit that I'm a K&B fan, and what I usually run on my models.
Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have three K&B's at home that I have never run: 2 X .45 Sportsters and one .65 Sportster. I bought all of them on ebay. When I was younger I had a K&B .61 that ran great, lots of power, low idle, smooth transition...

It's amazing how cheap they are on ebay. Hopefully I'll find that I got a great deal and it won't be a headache getting them to run well.
Old 03-17-2009, 03:51 PM
Bob Paris

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay P-Diddy,
Break-in, with the Sportser series engines is critical to good reliable running. It may take up to an hour to break-in each engine, and I would suggest that you run them for no longer then 10 minutes, let them cool down until you can place your fingers on the head of the engine...then run them again. I usually do this six to ten times until I can hold a flight needle valve setting in the vertical placement. Becareful and do not over heat the engines on break in...or have them seaze up on break-in. So keep them rich at first...and slowly lean them out. I also used an 11 x 6 on break-in and switched to a 10 x 6 for flight. Using a larger prop on break-in seems to me to give me a more reliable engine after the break-in is complete.

I like all castor fuel, with 15% nitro. I'll use a 50/50 mix if all castor is out of stock...but I believe all castor is best for K & B engines.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Old 03-17-2009, 05:17 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Simple interesting additions to a 421...a 1/8" dark red dot between the left engine and fuselage ( this is a sight glass that the pilot looks at to determine if sufficient hydraulic fluid is present), 1/16" dots, one on top of the other, near where the pilot and copilot sit ( looks like a : ), this is for the static system and drainage.
You can amaze your friends when they ask what these are!!
Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: Bob Paris

Hay P-Diddy,
Break-in, with the Sportser series engines is critical to good reliable running. It may take up to an hour to break-in each engine, and I would suggest that you run them for no longer then 10 minutes, let them cool down until you can place your fingers on the head of the engine...then run them again. I usually do this six to ten times until I can hold a flight needle valve setting in the vertical placement. Becareful and do not over heat the engines on break in...or have them seaze up on break-in. So keep them rich at first...and slowly lean them out. I also used an 11 x 6 on break-in and switched to a 10 x 6 for flight. Using a larger prop on break-in seems to me to give me a more reliable engine after the break-in is complete.

I like all castor fuel, with 15% nitro. I'll use a 50/50 mix if all castor is out of stock...but I believe all castor is best for K & B engines.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui
Bob, you seem to know your K&B's, so I'll take your advice on the break-in. Thank you very much.

-Pat
Old 03-21-2009, 02:20 AM
Patto

ORIGINAL: cjtyped

Simple interesting additions to a 421...a 1/8" dark red dot between the left engine and fuselage ( this is a sight glass that the pilot looks at to determine if sufficient hydraulic fluid is present), 1/16" dots, one on top of the other, near where the pilot and copilot sit ( looks like a : ), this is for the static system and drainage.
You can amaze your friends when they ask what these are!!
Are the static ports raised? I remember on my Cessna 150, (full-scale, owned it several years ago) that there was a raised disc with the hole in the center of the disc.

These are great ideas, thank you.
Old 03-21-2009, 03:27 AM
Jimmy Bananas

Got mine when they were available....Really can't say too much good stuff about the Cessna 421..first of all, the horizontal lines on the firewall are way off...nothing lines up...had to add 3/8" ply to the firewall to make the back prop washer stick out of the nacelle...after two or three trys,finally got it right and now it's off to the left wing and get it set up...also noticed that my parts bag with the nuts and bolts is missing....haven't even started on the fuse yet...lord only knows what I'll find wrong with that..will work on it until I get my KMP SBD Dauntless,hopefully by the first of April..then the 421 goes into the corner and maybe sometime this summer ,I might start to work on it again....One thing for sure..no more planes from Nitro...going to stick with the good stuff...................
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM
cjtyped
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

RE Static ports. I know what you're talking about on the 150 and the disc, but not, the staitic ports on the 421 I am pretty certain are just holes. In scale on the NP421, I wouldn't make them any larger than 3/32"
Old 03-21-2009, 08:17 PM
jetfixr

These are the static ports on a Turbo Commander. This is what most of them look like. I don't imagine a 421 would be much (if any) different. Different location of course.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16770.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	1162786  
Old 03-21-2009, 10:26 PM
Patto

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

Got mine when they were available....Really can't say too much good stuff about the Cessna 421..first of all, the horizontal lines on the firewall are way off...nothing lines up...had to add 3/8" ply to the firewall to make the back prop washer stick out of the nacelle...after two or three trys,finally got it right and now it's off to the left wing and get it set up...also noticed that my parts bag with the nuts and bolts is missing....haven't even started on the fuse yet...lord only knows what I'll find wrong with that..will work on it until I get my KMP SBD Dauntless,hopefully by the first of April..then the 421 goes into the corner and maybe sometime this summer ,I might start to work on it again....One thing for sure..no more planes from Nitro...going to stick with the good stuff...................
I have had very similar problems with mounting the engines!! Oh, it was so frustrating trying to get them to match up with the cowl. The horizontal lines were way too low for where the cowl ends up. I had to drill it three different times trying to get it right, so I feel your pain.

The parts bags were all present in my kit, although some of the screws for the wheel collars were missing, and the pushrods were almost all useless since they were not threaded. On a plane this size, using EZ-connectors would not be a good option. Not to mention, the rods weren't all long enough for the elevators and the rudder. There were some short threaded rods for the ailerons and flaps, but none for the throttles or nose steering. I needed to use a pull-pull since I'm doing retracts anyway, so the last part didn't bother me, but I had to buy new pushrods for the elevators, rudder, and throttle controls.

I have now installed the nose retract and all of the gear to make it work and steer. Unfortunately, the plastic well for the nosegear was not deep enough for the wheel to fully retract and it interfered with the steering cables, so I had to butcher it quite a bit. I may end up taking it out completely.

I ran into a bit of a problem with the cables in that when the nose gear retracts, the cables go slack and end up falling out the bottom of the fuse or just flop around inside the fuse. Anyone have a good solution for that? I thought about running a rubber band under it and attach the band to the fuse sides above the nose-steering servo to take the slack out. I would have to put a plastic tube or something similar over the rubber band to keep it from getting ripped up by the cables, but I think it may eliminate this problem.

Thanks for the info. on the static ports!

-Pat
Old 03-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Chas

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

ORIGINAL: Jimmy Bananas

I have had very similar problems with mounting the engines!! Oh, it was so frustrating trying to get them to match up with the cowl. The horizontal lines were way too low for where the cowl ends up. I had to drill it three different times trying to get it right, so I feel your pain.

The parts bags were all present in my kit, although some of the screws for the wheel collars were missing, and the pushrods were almost all useless since they were not threaded. On a plane this size, using EZ-connectors would not be a good option. Not to mention, the rods weren't all long enough for the elevators and the rudder. There were some short threaded rods for the ailerons and flaps, but none for the throttles or nose steering. I needed to use a pull-pull since I'm doing retracts anyway, so the last part didn't bother me, but I had to buy new pushrods for the elevators, rudder, and throttle controls.

I have now installed the nose retract and all of the gear to make it work and steer. Unfortunately, the plastic well for the nosegear was not deep enough for the wheel to fully retract and it interfered with the steering cables, so I had to butcher it quite a bit. I may end up taking it out completely.

I ran into a bit of a problem with the cables in that when the nose gear retracts, the cables go slack and end up falling out the bottom of the fuse or just flop around inside the fuse. Anyone have a good solution for that? I thought about running a rubber band under it and attach the band to the fuse sides above the nose-steering servo to take the slack out. I would have to put a plastic tube or something similar over the rubber band to keep it from getting ripped up by the cables, but I think it may eliminate this problem.

Thanks for the info. on the static ports!

-Pat
Pictures Please.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 PM
Patto

Here are the pictures of the engine installations thus far. As previously mentioned, the horizontal lines are placed incorrectly for lining up with the cowl. It took me three tries to install the first engine but only one for the second. The first time I just trusted the lines, which didn't work out well.

I still think that, so far, this plane is an excellent value, even with some hardware issues and that alignment problem.

Name:	Ki20625.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	1163457   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa87313.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1163458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55369.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	47.5 KB
ID:	1163459  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Patto

Some pictures of the retract installation.

Yes, I've been jumping around a little bit as far as the order in which I'm building. I can't help it. I get bored or frustrated with one thing so I move on to a different part of the manual. I've always done that. I think I'm just a little impatient...

Name:	Wt59130.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1163467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc93286.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1163468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx63187.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	1163469  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:41 AM
Patto

I don't have pictures of it yet, but I finished installing all the retracts and I've fitted the wings to the fuse. Seeing as I would have a lot of wires to disconnect along with the air lines, I'm going to TRY and keep it one piece unless I have work to do on it. The nylon bolts for the wings did not fit the blind nuts inside the wings, but a set of metal bolts were included as well, so I used those with a small amount of thread lock. The retracts were a pain to get installed and working happily together. I also found that unless they are fully charged up, they don't like to lock in place. The PSI has to be above 80 for them to work really well, so they can cycle twice, maybe three times before they are needing more air.

I have not yet installed throttle linkages, but that's next on my to-do list. I had to cut the heck out of the cowl, (one done so far) to get the engine and muffler to clear. It's not nearly as pretty as I had hoped for. I don't think I'll post any pictures that show my handywork on the cowls in any great detail...

The nylon bolts included for mounting the cowls/nacelles are too short. I can go buy new ones or drill into the wing a little bit to have them recessed and then they will have enough bite to get into the blind nuts, although I'll check to make sure they actually FIT the blind nuts before going to all that trouble, of course.

After finishing with the throttle linkages and the other cowl, I'll be fitting the canopy. After that, there is some clean-up and organization of the wires and receiver. Then, balancing....

The manual says the CG is at 3.5" behind the leading edge of the wing. Has anyone flown it with that CG yet and, if so, how did it turn out?

-Pat
Old 03-24-2009, 06:12 AM
Chas

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

I don't have pictures of it yet, but I finished installing all the retracts and I've fitted the wings to the fuse. Seeing as I would have a lot of wires to disconnect along with the air lines, I'm going to TRY and keep it one piece unless I have work to do on it. The nylon bolts for the wings did not fit the blind nuts inside the wings, but a set of metal bolts were included as well, so I used those with a small amount of thread lock. The retracts were a pain to get installed and working happily together. I also found that unless they are fully charged up, they don't like to lock in place. The PSI has to be above 80 for them to work really well, so they can cycle twice, maybe three times before they are needing more air.

I have not yet installed throttle linkages, but that's next on my to-do list. I had to cut the heck out of the cowl, (one done so far) to get the engine and muffler to clear. It's not nearly as pretty as I had hoped for. I don't think I'll post any pictures that show my handywork on the cowls in any great detail...

The nylon bolts included for mounting the cowls/nacelles are too short. I can go buy new ones or drill into the wing a little bit to have them recessed and then they will have enough bite to get into the blind nuts, although I'll check to make sure they actually FIT the blind nuts before going to all that trouble, of course.

After finishing with the throttle linkages and the other cowl, I'll be fitting the canopy. After that, there is some clean-up and organization of the wires and receiver. Then, balancing....

The manual says the CG is at 3.5" behind the leading edge of the wing. Has anyone flown it with that CG yet and, if so, how did it turn out?

-Pat
Pat, did you use stock muffler?? I figured if a person went with a inverted engine and used stock muffler there would be some major cutting of cowl.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:15 PM
Patto

You figured right!

The engines could not be mounted on their sides and still align properly. I searched for pitts style mufflers, but since I just HAD to use the K&B's, I ended up not being able to find anything that would fit.
Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM
trevtt600

Hello All. Sorry it has taken me so long to upload some pictures. Here is what i have so far. When the weather is nicer, i will head outside and take some better ones. I am pretty much done. Need to add a few more scale details, and she will be ready to go. Im going to try and get the engines broke in in the next day or so. I spend sometime and made some scale gear doors for the mains. If i really want to get adventerous, i might try and make some doors for the nose gear. Let me know what you think.

Name:	Yw68740.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1166550   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs57913.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1166551   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx60939.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	1166552   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lf93873.jpg
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	1166553   Click image for larger version

Name:	Co80395.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1166554   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz39046.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1166555   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xz53426.jpg
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	1166556   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dc97432.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	1166557  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Zy43652.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	1166558  
Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM
Patto

Looking really good. I like the gear covers. Let me know when you make the first flight, and try and get video!
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
kcforsythe

Hi All,

I just recently took delivery of my 421 and I'm about half way done with my build. Waiting on some robostruts for my retracts, one more engine and my Slimline mufflers to arrive. I'm going to be using two OS 46LA engines with Slimline Pitts mufflers. My fuselage arrived with some damage; a small (about the size of a pencil eraser) chip in the front top of the fuselage near the nose. I decided it was going to be easier to repair it myself then send it back. During my repair I was worried about matching the paint color due to the limitless shades of orange out there. I absolutely lucked into an EXACT match at Home Depot and wanted to share it with you guys in case anyone else is in this situation. It is Rustoleum Painter's Touch Gloss paint and the color is Real Orange. I did a coat of clear coat over top and it looks great. The color is a perfect match.

Once I have pictures taken, I'll get them out here for everyone to see.

Kent
Old 03-30-2009, 12:10 PM
Patto

Thanks for the info about the paint. How is the build going other than that? Any issues?
Old 03-30-2009, 08:39 PM
jebiga
My Feedback: (5)

Heelo, ALL
I recentle also bought the Cessan 421 from Nitro Planes. I am concerned about the weight , about 11-12lb using O.S. .46. do you think this will work out? Also what CG are you all goinf by? The manual says 90mm, but measuring the MAC my calculations show it is around 62mm fro leading edge.
Any imput?
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM
Patto

I don't think you'll be lacking in power. If you consider that .40 size 3D planes are usually in the 5 lb. range, and you will have two .40-.46 size engines, roughly doubling your thrust, and that this is a scale plane... well, I think there will be plenty...

As far as the CG goes, mine is not yet complete, so we'll have to wait and hear from someone who has tried flying on the recommended CG. Anyone?
Old 03-31-2009, 12:48 PM
kcforsythe

P-Diddy,

The build is going fine. I have mixed opinions on the kit itself. The quality of the hardware is not very good and I've had a few issues with the glass work internally. Had to cut away some fiber cloth that did not get glassed down well. Most of the external quality of the finish is very good and I think the end result will be a real eye catcher. I'm not happy with the way my canopy fits down on the fuselage but that's my fault. Eventually I want to order another canopy to redo it.

I'm working on mounting my O.S. 46LA engines right now. I don't have the mufflers yet (backordered) so it will be tough to complete everything. I'm going to use the Slimline Pitts mufflers. After that, I just need to put servos in and hook everything up. Assuming the mufflers come in the next week, I should be airborne in two weeks.

Are people using the standard control rods for the elevator and rudder that came with the kit? The elevator rods seem to work fine but the rudder one seems to bind a little. I'm curious if anyone has removed the pushrods and gone with something solid without an outer tube.

Pictures still to come.......

Kent
Old 03-31-2009, 02:38 PM
jebiga
My Feedback: (5)

Hello kent
On the push rods, I bought some others. My kit came with just plain straight music wire, the length was even too short. I also just recenieved mu pitts style mufflers for my O.S. 46. Advantage Hobby has some in stock, same price but no charge on shipping.
Bill

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.