Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft
Reload this Page >

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Notices
Twin & Multi Engine RC Aircraft Discuss the ins & outs of building & flying multi engine rc aircraft here.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes, I''m interested in following this build thread
91.11%
I''m not too interested, but I think others would be.
6.67%
It''s been done for an electric, so probably not
2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

Old 03-31-2009, 02:40 PM
jebiga
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Nitro Models Cessna 421C build and fan page

P-Diddy,
Thanks for your reply. I guess I'll wait to see who has had experience flying it.
Bill
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM
trevtt600

Well everyone, the 421 FLYS!! I got home from work early this afternoon, was a gorgeous day, so i figured what the hell. I have to tell ya, its a screamer to begin with. I have 2 .47 GMS, and I did not go above half throttle. I even took off half throttle. The CG at 90mm seems to be right on, for me at least. I did not have to add any weight. One recommendation is to use some expo on the controls. It did not seem like it was going to be a lot of control, but its plenty. I am going to dial in quite a bit of expo before next flight. It climbs like crazy, and flies very nice once trimmed out. I will be posting a video of the flight as soon as my buddy gets it to me. Any questions let me know and ill answer to my best ability.

Happy Flying!!
Old 03-31-2009, 06:27 PM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

Good job! I will be looking forward to the video. I meant to ask you earlier, but did you ever make nosegear doors, and second, did you paint your main gear doors? That is great that kcforsythe shared the color. Be sure to post pics and or video when you get them!
Old 03-31-2009, 08:46 PM
trevtt600

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENzQ2...&feature=email

Dont know if this will work. Try clicken the link and all the videos are on there. We do not have a great camera, but it works for now. More to come.
Old 03-31-2009, 10:02 PM
jebiga

trevtt600
It sounds nice. I can't wait to get mine a flight test. I am not familiar with the power plant you used. Was it electric? I am guessing the CG should be the same for nitro? I am really concerned about the CG. Any help would be apprcitiated.
Bill
Old 04-01-2009, 12:02 AM
jetfixr
My Feedback: (13)

He said his CG is at 90mm. The CG should be the same no matter what powerplants you use. The airframe is the same. The only time it would be different for a nitro model is if your fuel tanks are not on or near the CG. Then you have to take fuel burn into consideration when balancing. In short, if 90mm worked well for him it should work for you.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:35 AM
Patto

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats Trev, sounded good and looked like it flew well.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:39 AM
Patto

Here is where I'm at. It's looking a lot like an airplane. I have everything hooked up now. I just have to fit the last cowl/nacelle, and then balance and install the Rx battery accordingly.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60256.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	1170459   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ql33059.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	1170460  
Old 04-01-2009, 03:46 AM
trevtt600

Jebig. The engines are nitro, GMS ,47's. Im not an electric guy at all. No offence to anyone with electrics, but the you do not get the sound or effect from the electics that you do nitro or gas. As for the CG, you are correct. It will be the same no matter what you use for power. I was saying 90mm is good for me, but some people like to have a more forward or after CG. But the CG at 90mm is pretty dead nuts.

P-diddy. planes looking good. Looks like you did a great job on the canopy. I think that is one of the biggest short falls of the kit. Good work! What engines you using?
Old 04-01-2009, 03:17 PM
Patto

Trev - I'm using K&B .45's mounted inverted with stock mufflers.

Thanks for the compliment on the canopy, but if you could see it up close, you would be able to see the evidence of my usual handiwork. The paint flaked off along the edges in a few places, and it doesn't sit quite right.

I'm hoping to have it done and ready for test flight on Monday or Tuesday.

-Pat
Old 04-01-2009, 03:50 PM
Chas
My Feedback: (16)

ORIGINAL: trevtt600

Jebig. The engines are nitro, GMS ,47's. Im not an electric guy at all. No offence to anyone with electrics, but the you do not get the sound or effect from the electics that you do nitro or gas. As for the CG, you are correct. It will be the same no matter what you use for power. I was saying 90mm is good for me, but some people like to have a more forward or after CG. But the CG at 90mm is pretty dead nuts.

P-diddy. planes looking good. Looks like you did a great job on the canopy. I think that is one of the biggest short falls of the kit. Good work! What engines you using?
trevtt600, good to here your flight went well. What mufflers are you using on your GMS 47's ? I have super tigre 45's and was going to mount them sideways with bisson mufflers. I did the measurements and it will work, have to make a cut out for engine head. head would stick out side of cowl about 3/16's to 1/4 of a inch. I/m not sure about slipping cowl over the engine to The cut out yet? This is Saturdays project. Maybe just mount engines inverted??? Haven,t seen to many mufflers for inverted ST 45'S.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:49 PM
trevtt600

Chas. Ther mufflers are inverted pitts mufflers for the OS46AX. They have the same bolt pattern
Old 04-01-2009, 07:46 PM
Chas

ORIGINAL: trevtt600

Chas. Ther mufflers are inverted pitts mufflers for the OS46AX. They have the same bolt pattern
So What brand Bisson, Slimline, Jec-Tec ???
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 PM
trevtt600

Sorry. Bisson
Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 PM
jebiga

Congrats on your first flight. The plane looked beautifull. I liked the way your engines are not seen. I messed up. I was not aware you could get pitts style mufflers for inverted engine. I also went by the manual when mounting the engines. It was wrong. I had to extend the engines and had to recut the cowls , so the holes are big and it vibrates a lot. I was like crap, I didn't even think about inverting 2-cycle engines.
Bill
Old 04-03-2009, 05:58 AM
flyboytha1
My Feedback: (30)

ORIGINAL: P-Diddy

I don't think you'll be lacking in power. If you consider that .40 size 3D planes are usually in the 5 lb. range, and you will have two .40-.46 size engines, roughly doubling your thrust, and that this is a scale plane... well, I think there will be plenty...

As far as the CG goes, mine is not yet complete, so we'll have to wait and hear from someone who has tried flying on the recommended CG. Anyone?
The CG Should Be Fine Flew Mines About 8 Times Now, With Electric Set Up Here's A Video Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zloO0KSAI8
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95538.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1171627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gc91337.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	121.2 KB
ID:	1171628  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:37 PM
Patto

flyboytha1 - I was wondering when you'd pop in. I saw your videos before I bought mine. It looked great. Mine won't be as pretty as far as hiding the engines, but they fit the bill.

I'm hoping to do the test flight this Monday or Tuesday, assuming I have a chance to get it done in the meantime.

-Pat
Old 04-04-2009, 08:30 AM
flyboytha1

flyboytha1 - I was wondering when you'd pop in. I saw your videos before I bought mine. It looked great. Mine won't be as pretty as far as hiding the engines, but they fit the bill.

I'm hoping to do the test flight this Monday or Tuesday, assuming I have a chance to get it done in the meantime.

-Pat
So Your Running Gas Huh? These E-Flight .46 On 5 Cells I'm Using Are More Than Enough Power I Don't Even Fly At Full Throttle, Let Alone On Take Off It Just Jumps In The Air
Old 04-04-2009, 09:53 PM
Patto

I know, the electric option is definitely a good one, it's just not for me when it comes to airplanes. I like it for helicopters, (I have an MSH Protos 500) but on airplanes I like my nitro and gasoline. Not to mention, these K&B's were pretty cheap on ebay, and I used to really like K&B's when I was a kid.

The electric set-up on yours really seemed to work well looking at the videos.

I'm hoping to get my other cowl fitted tonight and possibly do the maiden tomorrow or Monday. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

-Pat
Old 04-04-2009, 10:14 PM
jebiga

Well, I made the maiden flight today. WOW, it flew great. The .46s with 11x7 was definatley enough power. The wind was a bit bumpy but the approach was nice especially with flaps. I had a small boo-boo once the plane was on the runway and it veared off the runaway and folded the front landing gear. It did not break, just cheap glue came loose on the wood to the fiberglass where the fron landing gear mounts too. It is already fixes and rrady for another.
Bill
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM
Patto

Nice! Did you try any aerobatics?

I'm going to have my throttle servos mixed, and I'm wondering if I can get it to do some nice hammerheads by using a mix with the rudder and throttle, (switched, not on all the time).

Anyone ever try that?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 AM
flyboytha1

ORIGINAL: jebiga

Well, I made the maiden flight today. WOW, it flew great. The .46s with 11x7 was definatley enough power. The wind was a bit bumpy but the approach was nice especially with flaps. I had a small boo-boo once the plane was on the runway and it veared off the runaway and folded the front landing gear. It did not break, just cheap glue came loose on the wood to the fiberglass where the fron landing gear mounts too. It is already fixes and rrady for another.
Bill
Sounds Sweet Congrats On The Maiden Flight
Old 04-06-2009, 07:13 AM
flyboytha1

I know, the electric option is definitely a good one, it's just not for me when it comes to airplanes. I like it for helicopters, (I have an MSH Protos 500) but on airplanes I like my nitro and gasoline. Not to mention, these K&B's were pretty cheap on ebay, and I used to really like K&B's when I was a kid.

The electric set-up on yours really seemed to work well looking at the videos.

I'm hoping to get my other cowl fitted tonight and possibly do the maiden tomorrow or Monday. I'll let y'all know how it works out.

-Pat
Any Luck On The Maiden Yet? I'm Going To Add Retracts To Mine's Maybe This Week, I Always Went With The Fixxed Just To Get It In The Air, But After Flying So Many Hangar9 Warbirds, The Cessna Would Look Killer In The Air With Retracts Up
Old 04-06-2009, 03:19 PM
4-Stroke

Does anyone have pictures of how to mount the retracts inside the wing?
Old 04-06-2009, 03:22 PM
4-Stroke

Does anyone have some pics of how to mount the retracts in the wing?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.