YS Engines Support Direct support from YS Performance Engines by Dave Shadel

ys 110 AT WITS END

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:34 PM
Spaceclam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ys 110 AT WITS END

alright.

I have had a ys 110 for i am going to say probably 5 years. 3 of those years it was flown about 2-3 flights every weekend, religiously.

so far, 3 times in it's history, my engine has contracted this problem. It idles fine, and runs excellent except just above idle. If i put it just above idle, it will simply die. Not slow down and die like it's rich, not speed up and die like it's lean. It will just drop to idle after about 2 seconds, and then simply stop turning. I have the valves set, (your guys numbers of about .04mm or .0015" seems a little tight, but that is where they are at, and it pulls) the plug is good. The regulator body has been rebuilt several times, because this has cured the problem before. but now, it isnt. working.

Also, almost no matter what i do, i get fuel dripping from my carb, or a hissing noise. The engine is mounted inverted. It has done this through probably 2 regulator springs, 4 regulator membranes, a regulator body, and a plunger. Nothing seems to cure it.

I have the idle set so it is perfect. I have the top end set, it's spinning a 16x6 at about 9700 static. It does not matter how i set the regulator. I adjust the idle to be correct, i adjust the top to be correct, and it still does the exact same thing.

the odd thing about this problem, is every time it happens, it's not like a slow setting problem that just shows up over time. It actually will run perfectly, and then the next flight, BAM. no good.

The first time it did this, was probably about 6 months into it's life. I was flying it anyway when my plane's wing gave, and i sent it in for service. It came back with a new cylender and it ran great.

The second time it did this was probably about a year and a half into it's life. I took it to a guy in burbank who is no longer in business. He rebuilt the regulator assembly and tuned it, and it ran great.

Since then, i have rebuilt the regulator a few times, and it has solved it for a flight or two, but it just keeps coming back.
WHAT DO I DO? Im about ready to junk this thing.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Jimmy Skids
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ys 110 AT WITS END

I'm not an expert, but I'm wondering if this is happening right after start up..... If so I would think that the tank hasn't built enough pressure.

One of the other questions I would have would be what fuel are you running.

Skids
Old 04-06-2009, 05:29 PM
Spaceclam

it happens regardless of how long the engine has been running, and the fuel being used is cool power 30% heli fuel. and seems to have nothing to do with the age of the fuel.

-clam
Old 04-06-2009, 05:34 PM
Jimmy Skids

Definitly a strange one. I haven't run accross this one before, there are a lot of people with more knowledge in these forums that should be able to help, if you don't get the right answer maybe a call to Richard at YS would get you headed back in the right direction.

Good Luck,
Jimmy Skids
Old 04-06-2009, 07:09 PM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can tell you that what you are describing is not something I have seen on any of my engines. The regulator starts to open at 2300-2500 RPM so is sounds like it is not opening properly especially since you say a rebuild of the regulator fixes it. I would suggest you call Richard at YS and tell him what is going on and the history of the engine. If anyone has seen or heard of this behavior it would probably be him.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:16 PM
john911
My Feedback: (1)

my motor did the same thing for my it was oring on the carb but my not a ys
Old 04-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Spaceclam

a regulator rebuild USED to fix it. It doesnt anymore.

???
Old 04-06-2009, 09:10 PM
dmccormick001

Have you tried a new check valve?
Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 PM
Spaceclam

when i tested the valve it does not leak and seems to opperate properly. HOWEVER that is my next step. i bought one earlier this afternoon.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:12 PM
Jimmy Skids

OK here is what I believe may be happening......

My guess here is that we are looking at one of the first edition 110 fz's.... not the 110 (s) model. When these motors first hit the market they came with a new designed "plunger" where the surface area was increased to cause "less wear" on the diaphram. Some of us had problems with the plunger not moving freely. Some turned down the size of the plunger, and yet others (myself included) ended up retro-fitting the regulator body to the older 120 version. I'm sorry that I didn't think of this earlier. I suggest that you call Richard at YS parts and service and ask him for his opinion on the subject.

Jimmy Skids
Old 04-07-2009, 12:34 AM
Spaceclam

i will certainly call...

however the plunger was replaced with the old 120 plunger, which is smaller. That was the second fix, and it worked for a long time.

perhaps i will try the old regulator body.