Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > Redcat Racing Support
Reload this Page >

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Lighting VX Thread

Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

"OFFICIAL" Redcat Lighting VX Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 08:40 PM
leko413

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: "OFFICIAL" Redcat Lighting VX Thread

What are the factory settings for the carb with the Vertex .16 engine?
Old 02-22-2009, 12:27 PM
chevyderek72

Not to be mean, but its a couple posts up dude, just look.

They are 2.5-3 turns out on the hsn and the lsn goes to flush with the collar
Old 02-22-2009, 06:52 PM
leko413

Thanks, I saw it after I posted my question. I think I'm suffering from accute blindness. LOL

So on to my next question...
I have my throttle trim all the way down and the wheels still want to turn. I checked my clutch spring and its fine and the spacing in my carb is 1 mm. What else do I need to adjust to fix this?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:16 PM
chevyderek72

Wow i just noticed your in glendale, im over in mesa haha. Is it broken in yet?
Old 02-22-2009, 07:36 PM
leko413

That cool been here my whole life.
I broke it in a couple weeks ago and have run a little over two qts through it. I can get the wheels to just about stop but I'm out of trim. Maybe a LSN thing?
Old 02-23-2009, 12:57 AM
chevyderek72

What i would do is take your servo horn off the top of your servo. And then turn your radio on (with the car off) and then put your trim to the middle, that will put center it. Then put the servo horn on like it would be at idle. So it shouldnt be grabbing the brakes yet it isnt opening the carb. Try that
Old 02-24-2009, 10:14 PM
leko413

Thanks tihstae! That did it! Took the throttle horn off and moved it one click back. Ajusted the bottom right dial down(one of the 5 behind plastic cover on back right of remote) to compensate for the change. I'm back to center again!

Also I got the factory settings from the guys at Redcat in Phoenix today when I picked up some upgrade parts today.

"PLEASE TURN OFF THE REMOTE AND THE BATTERY BOX ON THE CAR!"

"Here is the setup
Hi-speed = turn clockwise till snug,....... now counter clockwise 3 full turns out
low-speed = face the battery box and look straight at the throttle arm in side is the screw.
turn counter clock till it's flushed w/ arm and now...
( 1 1/2 turns ( IN ) only if its the VX-16 or 18 )" Basic SV, Tornado, Tsunami, Lightning

Idle = when your done with the adjustments above, start adjusting the little blk screw above the flywheel- ( turn it counter clockwise to lower , clock wise to bring up the idle ), turn it 1 full turn clockwise then try starting the car, do 3 or 4 pulls if it don't adjust it about 1/2 turn or less to get that spot where the car will stay at idle."
Old 02-24-2009, 11:05 PM
leko413

Does anyone know of a upgrade 2 speed transmission that will fit the lightning?
Old 02-25-2009, 01:00 AM
chevyderek72

What do you mean, an upgrade?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:11 AM
leko413

Maybe something from a different manufacture or better quality. I'm just seeing that the stop on the 39 tooth gear is wearing down a bit.
Old 02-25-2009, 04:59 PM
chevyderek72

There is metal in that stop, so it shouldnt wear all the way down
Old 02-25-2009, 08:47 PM
leko413

I pulled apart the trans last night. I saw that the bottom half of the stop was worn away and so was half of that metal stop. I pushed back on the arm to extend it all the way out and it stopped just about where the metal was worn away. The arm won't come out any more than that. So today I picked up a new clutch and 39 tooth gear and installed them. Ran the car around a bit and took apart the new set up. Same thing this time the plastic was gone below the metal and this clutch arm once lifted stopped below the metal. I don't see any way to adjust the travel of this arm. The grub screw only adjusts when the arm pops out. Any ideas?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:01 PM
el_tonto

If the grub screw is wound in too tight (high shift point) then it can be wound in so far that it doesn't spring out fully. Try backing it out 1/2 a turn and see if that helps.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:35 PM
leko413

So I back the grub screw out flush and ran it around but the thing still won't shift. Is this me buying a new complete transmission?
Old 03-05-2009, 08:01 PM
leko413

Just got my rims and wheels from www.rcmart.com today for my lightning. They are Topcad gun metal dual six spoke alloy rims. All I have to say is WOW man they are nice. They weigh a little more than the real thing but I can't even notice a change in speed. I think these babies will hold up alot better than the plastic I've used and destoyed before (removing the old tire has to be eaiser). And they are about the same cost. They come from Hong Kong but shipping took anly about a week. Check them out if you havn't seen them.

Oh and on my transmission I got a new complete one through Redcat and it is working fine now.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:00 PM
EvilBunny

hey guys, just wanted to get my face in here. i purchased a used Lightning from a buddy of mine and have used it a couple times since. i did a major tear-down and clean up a couple weeks ago and found a few bent/broken parts which i have replaced. the only thing i didn't replace is the rear center driveshaft (from tranny to rear diff) cause i didn't know it was bent until i put everything back together. i also noticed it was shorter than the rest of the drive shafts. it wouldn't sit in the diff cup very well and i feared it would jump out and break other things along the way. i exchanged it with a front drive axle (thinking it would be longer) but they are all the same length. does anyone else have this problem? to fix it temporarily i adjusted the diff cup towards the tranny so the driveshaft wouldn't jump out atleast.

thanks
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
leko413

Can anyone tell me why my HSN backs by itself out while the engine is running and how to fix this. Thanks.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:25 PM
chevyderek72

I just put a little blue lock tite on it and it stays put real good.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Baldoom

I just got a lightning from a this guy a few days ago as well. The spur was semi stripped so i tore the whole car down and cleaned it real good. after getting it put together i tried to start it for the first time. btw this is my very first experience with a nitro car. After nearly choking to death on the fumes in the garage I finally got it started in the back yard, yay! I fooled around with the needles for a bit (as if i knew what i was doing, jeje) and decided to put it to the cement. I ran pretty well in the backyard till i hit grass by accident. i forgot to tape up the whole under the car to protect the tranny so finished tearing up the first gear for good. Just waiting for my replacement in the mail. I think i'm gonna turn it into a nastruck looking thing i like trucks.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:19 AM
chevyderek72

Make sure you mesh your spue gear right, thats the only reason it will strip, other than landing a jump on the throttle.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:31 AM
Baldoom

yeah man, thanks. i researched the cause of it for a good while. i read a bunch of post just ragging on the quality of the product that you get what you pay for and so on but then the helpful ones started to pop out and all it came down to was basic maintenance on the car, at least that's what i deduced. Thanks again, bud.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:47 AM
chevyderek72

Dude these are great cars, ive had a ton of them and i love em. I probably would never get a "name brand" rc, doesnt seem logical to me.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Baldoom

any mods to your lightning? I'm assuming you have one.
Old 04-09-2009, 01:16 AM
chevyderek72

No i actually had one for a bit, but i sold it. The on roads are fast and he//, but they have almost no suspension so you cant go off road without some rally tires or something, and even then its only pretty smooth stuff. It was fun, but i was always wanting to go off road too haha. I have the truck version of it though, i got the redcat tuned pipe and header on it, and a aftermarket air filter. Then i got some wheels and a direct drive tranny. I would reccomend a pipe and header, and an air filter just to start.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:46 AM
Baldoom

Cool, i finally got my gears in and installed. I'm ready to let her rip again. I got a dynamite pipe on it. didn't know there was a header available and i hope my chevy nastruck body will come in soon. Yeah i was thinking about getting an airfilter too, just wanted to get my body first to make sure it fit. Thanks again

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.