Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

3pm 2.4 g and 3-cell lipo

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2009, 09:44 PM
ftt4maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3pm 2.4 g and 3-cell lipo

I happen to have a brand new 3-cell lipo, electrifly 1250 mah that is in need of a home. Can i use this battery to power my futaba 3pm 2.4g radio or will it be to much power.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
systemlord

Default RE: 3pm 2.4 g and 3-cell lipo

Well considering that a NiMH battery fully charged will be 11.6 volts, I don't see a huge problem here. The only thing that bothers "me" is most TX's are designed to run on 9.6 volts nominal and not a constant 11.1 volts, I can only air on the side of caution! There's no way to know what an 11.1 volts Lipo will do to the TX after a prolonged usage, and if the Lipo decides to puff up while in the battery box...
Old 04-11-2009, 07:10 AM
ftt4maniac

I was also thinking that if you just run energizer or duracell batts, the voltage would be 12 if not maybe a little higher. I charged the 3-cell last night and it toped out at 12.40 volts. I cannot see where a controller would draw more juice from a batt, versus the mamba system i had originaly bought it for. Is it possible for the lipo to "puff up" just sitting around, or does it need to be in use to do this, i have never had any issues with lipo batts so i am a little unsure of what you are talking about. I have set the batt in the controller and there is enough room to put 2 in there.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:32 PM
systemlord

My brother had two Lipos in storage for just a few months, they were both fully charged when it was stored. After a few months only one puffed up, why it happened I don't know.