Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies
Reload this Page >

Can't seem to spray Faskolor without Diluting

Community
Search
Notices
RC Painting, Detailing & Bodies Discuss painting techniques, methods and materials. Also detailing and bodies

Can't seem to spray Faskolor without Diluting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Ermax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't seem to spray Faskolor without Diluting

I own a badger 150 it was the best airbrush i can possibly buy in stock at my local hobby shop, also I bought this indoor compressor that maxes out at 24 PSI, although if you are going for the top PSI on it doesn't last very long it's very small.

A friend of mine says he sprays Faskolor paints jus striaght out of the bottle without having to dilute it with water or alcohol.

I'm not very good at finding the right mixture so I would like to be able to spray the faskolor paint without diluting.

I then purchased a 5 gallon compressor with a max 130 PSI and man is it ever strong.

I set my PSI to 40 on my little guage before the airbrush because my friend said he sprays it at 30 and does not dilute and everything is perfect.

What tends to happen is the paint is too thick I guess and the airbrush isn't strong enough to pull it out through the straw that it sucks from.

I switch to a water bottle and it sprays great.

So I'm guessing it's too thick..

What am I doing wrong?

Since then I've asked my friend what kind of airbrush he has he says he uses faskolor airbrush I'm now wondering if I should change airbrush or is it something I can change with my current setup.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:27 PM
mortimersnerd

Default RE: Can't seem to spray Faskolor without Diluting

Faskolor should be thinned somewhat for airbrush use if you want it to atomize and lay down correctly. You want it about the consistency of whole milk. My fairly expensive Iwata airbrush doesn't like it unthinned, either, and it will spray, but is fairly thick. I'm not surprised yours won't even draw up the sipon tube. Practice on 2 liter pop bottles until you can get the consistency right for your airbrush.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:15 AM
Ermax

What do you thin it with water or alcohol or watever?
Old 04-12-2009, 01:05 PM
mortimersnerd

I've always used water, but I've heard of folks using windex.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:09 PM
NickNitro26

I use windex to clean my airbrush... I dont know what it would do to the paint though.

woudn't normal paint thinner work?
Old 04-12-2009, 06:49 PM
Ermax

Is windex different from alcohol?
Old 04-12-2009, 10:41 PM
mortimersnerd

I wouldnt use paint thinner for cleaning up Faskolor, unless its the stuff Faskolor sells as thinner. Faskolor is water based, and cleans up well with plain old water. Windex is different from alcohol. Don't know what all is in it, but it is probably mostly water with some ammonia and a cleaning agent of some kind.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
svavrek

I actually put the paint I want (I used Faspurple recently) in a shot glass and add drops of water until its about the same consistency as milk.... then add it to my gun and spray it... it WILL take a few extra coats but it sprays nice and covers a lot more evenly... I was tryin to push a lil crap compressor output thru the brush and spray the stuff straight... no go I now have a nice compressor (Husky) I bought from Home Depot, up to 130 psi output, and use a mini-HVLP gun ... I've still sprayed the stuff diluted down but only with teh brushes, not the gun yet... that's soon though! I used to paint real cars for a living, so we'll see what kinda nasty we can make w/ a mini gun and two nice brushes!
Old 05-03-2009, 08:12 PM
KerbyKustoms
My Feedback: (6)

I used both water and alcohol without too much trouble. Faskolar also sells some FASTHINNER - #40201 for what you are looking for. I have not had a chance to try this stuff yet.