Community
Search
Notices
Redcat Racing Support Moderated Support Forum for all Redcat Racing Cars, Trucks & Buggies

Redcat Monsoon Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
ronan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Redcat Monsoon Thread

great feedbacks and help from all of you guys!!!

thinking of getting a monsoon.....whatever happened to the guy who said he reversed the engine mounts so he could use a starter box. did he ever come back to post pics. still wondering if the conversion to a starter box is worth it. has anyone tried the roto-start with it.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 AM
cirec

Can this receiver pack fit into the receiver box? http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...oducts_id/7821
It's has a different shape than most hump packs. I want the longest lasting receiver pack I can get.
Old 12-18-2008, 11:09 AM
Redcat Nick

Yes it should fit in there. IF you turn it sideways so there are 2 cells that face the receiver it will still be 3 cells long which is the same as a standard receiver pack. So it should fit in there.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:59 PM
cirec

What size allen wrench do I need for the screws under the engine? I don't seem have the right one. Also when I install the clutch bell should it be able to spin freely?
Old 12-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Chubbysdad
My Feedback: (1)

I believe a 2.5. On the clutchbell yes it should spin freely.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:58 PM
nickb12345
My Feedback: (1)

I have found a backing plate that fits the SH28 motor at http://www.rc-tradingpost.com/sh-28backingplate.html if anyone is interested in rotostart.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:11 PM
cirec

Since the instruction manual doesn't show a picture of the clutch springs I didn't install them the first time. I installed them in the clutch shoes and then on the flywheel. Now I can't put the clutch bell on. How do I install the shoes and springs correctly?
Old 02-08-2009, 03:02 PM
rookieracer2

Default RE: Redcats Monsoon Thread

you can get the yellow wheels i think you want from redcatracing.com for like $35.00 with tires or like $20.00 for the rims.
Old 02-08-2009, 03:20 PM
rookieracer2

what did you port it to i would like to get my monsoon to work a little better.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:53 PM
Revolver34

Can you mount side mud guards on the monsoon, and if so what brand would I need to buy?
Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM
madmarty

i put a pair of kyosho st-r on mine...only two of the three holes match up, no biggie.... just drill another hole in the chassie. they fit perfect
Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Revolver34

Cool, I'm thinking about getting a monsoon but thought it would be better to have the guards on the sides to protect the electronics. I still haven't made up my mind but the price has really got me looking at it. How long have you had yours madmarty?
Old 03-11-2009, 09:37 PM
madmarty

bro, you have to get one...i have had mine for two years now and love it.. it is a very tough truggy except for one part?...read through the monsoon thread, there is some very good information in it. Do some of the mods and you will have a awesome truggy...you won't be disappointed!!!!
Old 03-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Revolver34

Have you had any trouble with your clutch bell, rust on the truggy or the shocks. I seen some people talking about extensions to put different wheels on and was wondering what exactly it was there were putting on. This will be my first RC but a lot of my friends have them, but they have losi, ofna, hpi and others. I don't want to just jump in with some expensive truggy and end up not using it in the future, but I also want something that will hang with them on the track.

What about getting parts and service from redcat? Is it hard to get the parts you need, so far I see a pretty good bit on ebay and a couple other places but I was just wondering from your experience. Another things is bodies, what other bodies fit pretty good on the truggy once you put the side guards on? Do you use a roto start and if you do which kind?

Sorry for so many questions but I like to get all information I can before I buy.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-12-2009, 03:45 PM
chevyderek72

Dude, ask away, thats what we are here for. Getting parts is easy, there are dealers with cheaper prices and they ship pretty fast too, its mainly just waiting for them to ship, but when you buy it, i would reccommend just getting some spares that will break. Like arms and stuff. If you stock up on things that are most likely gonna break you shouldnt have to wait. Redcat nick races his at the track, he says it does pretty good, so you should be able to keep up, but its maily just driver skill.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:01 PM
ferguisa

I just love this car,,, so stable and fast. So easy to drive and very good respond. The best. I leave in Mexico so I do not have any part supplier down here , but I guy from factory ( Rick ) it has been very helpfull regarding sending parts an all. I an very happy with it.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:05 PM
ferguisa

Sorry his name is Nick...
Old 04-12-2009, 04:57 PM
ferguisa

ORIGINAL: lsurber

Well, I finally got the Monsoon!

First thing I did was break in the engine! It showed no signs of particles at all during the breakin and temps did not go higher than 200 degrees. I believe this engine is gonna be another great mod project!

MECHANICAL DESIGN PROS:

The truck itself is is nicely designed! All the hinge pin braces, chassis braces, and motor mount are very nicely machined billet. The brake cams and steering bellcrank are ball bearing supported! All differentials are filled with silicone. All hinge pins are captured! The battery/reciever box is very nice and pretty much water tight! The manifold and pipe are very nice and highly polished! The wing mount is very heavy duty with aluminum cross-bracing and the wing is easily detached with body pin clips.

MECHANICAL DESIGN CONS:

The control arms are beefy but more flexible than I like. Minimal flex in suspension parts makes for better tuning! The best combination of durability and performance is the PBS system and I will change the suspension to that! The engine mount is nice but the engine sits so high that a starter box wheel could never contact the flywheel.

Hello, here is a tip if you broke the steering arm, witch is very common. Se picture I glue the pice and then I drill a hole in the arm and I belt it with wire. It works very good until you get the new part.

QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES:

The long trip from China caused surface rust on one of the tie-rods and 2 of the brake pad guide posts. This is no big deal and was removed no problems BUT a thin film of oil to prevent rust would be smart! Not a drop of loctite was used anywhere in the build, so check things over very carefully. Some of the bearings feel notchy and are probably going to need replacing but this is no big deal! I'll just go buy a whole sleeve of them for 2$ each at my LHS! The fuel tank actually touches the exhaust!!!!!!! A real NO NO! A simple adjustment will give enough clearance though! The differentials were all binding and needed shimming.

OVERALL IMPRESSION:

This truck is a bargain at $279 but needs to be totally gone through before you run it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx72397.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	1178892  
Old 06-04-2009, 09:55 PM
ronan

PUT ON A 14T CLUTCH BELL FROM HURRICANE XTR, GOT ENGINE MOUNTS FROM 1/8 XTM MAMMOTH, SUGGEST YOU GET ONE FROM OFNA WITH 23-24 MM ENGINE MOUNT HOLES IF YOU WANT TO KEEP THE REDCAT BLUE ENGINE MOUNT PLATE TO THE CHASSIS. HAD TO DREMEL OUT THE MOUNTS TO MOVE THE ENGINE FORWARD AND NOT TO HIT THE BACKPLATE OF THE ROTO-START. NO NEED TO DREMEL OUT IF USING NON-PULL ENGINE. STILL USING STOCK 46T SPUR
Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 PM
ronan

how do i post pics on this site
Old 11-11-2009, 01:46 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Well just after watching the clermonts new video and seeing my front tires ballooning up which I did not notice so much I went ahead and changed my diff fluids from 5-7-3 to 10-30-3 and see how it goes this week. Hope it will make it turn better too, has some push coming out of the turns.
Not try to be too stupid here but what 5-7-3 does this start with the front 5 in the front 7 in the middle and 3 in the rear?

Old 11-11-2009, 01:51 AM
rchobbyunlimited

ORIGINAL: vnmsgt

Well I ran my monsoon last night at the avon park track again but they opened up the whole straightaway. Had the 12 tooth on it and it SCREEEAAAMMED!!! There were a couple of guy out there and when they saw that hit the straight and the same with my hurricane they all came up and asked me "what motor you got in that thing!" I said the stock one for REDCAT! SH28. They could not believe how fast it was.

The wheel spacers worked good to I can corner alot harder without the inside tires wanting to come up on me and the 10-30-3 diff fluid worked great. Tires did not balloon up at all and did not push in the turns.

I had my mantis out with axial .28RR also and the monsoon would walk all over it on the straights! I could not believe it. I thought my mantis had some top end, guess not!

Gotta love that 12 tooth!
Really trying to understand the diff fluid language does the number start in the front 10 in the front 30 in the center and 3 in the rear

Old 11-11-2009, 08:09 PM
chevyderek72

Ya im pretty sure thats how it goes.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:34 AM
rchobbyunlimited

Ok thanks great one other question so how do you keep the fluid in the diff there is a big square hole at the bottom that works well with the grease but I caint see how the slicon oil will stay in.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:52 PM
chevyderek72

Are you talking about the diff housing, or the diff itself? Cause the fluid goin inside the diff, with the 6 gears inside. But inside the housing is the diff and a pinion. You take the diff out, unscrew the 4 screws, replace the fluid or grease with your weight of oil and put it back together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.