Community
Search
Notices
HPI Monster Truck Forum Talk about HPI monster trucks here. The infamous Savage 21, SS, .25 or any other HPI MT. You can optionally discuss HPI in our general MT discussion forum if you prefer.

Polished HPI tuned pipe

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 PM
bigwaltc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polished HPI tuned pipe

I know the HPI polished tuned pipe that comes with the XL isn't very good that's why I run a 086 on it now. My question is before I try it on my X 4.1 is it a little better then the HPI black plastic one that's on it now? The HPI one that is. I know I should just get another 086 but I have it lying around and thought if it was a little better I would try it
Thanks for your input [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM
CrysisFX

Default RE: Polished HPI tuned pipe

i have this one my 4.6 which is a similar engine. he pipe runs descent but makes tuning a little more picky. the pipe is also very loud.
Old 04-13-2009, 12:14 AM
bigwaltc

Yeah I know it sucked on my 5.9 I will try it on my 4.1 it will only be temporary until I get a 086 for it Thanks [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-13-2009, 02:22 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend an 053 for the F4.1/4.6
Old 04-13-2009, 02:32 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The HPI polished was good for my Axial 28 Spec 1S and Axial 28RR, and goes best of all on my Sportwerks 26.
Old 04-13-2009, 03:02 AM
3-172IN MTN

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend an 053 for the F4.1/4.6
+1. I tried the 053 pipe on my f4.6 and boy did it wake it up. I do have to admit that I bought it as a blem on eBay for like 13 bux and was the best 13 dollars I ever spent so far.

I also tried it on a picco 27 and it was great there as well. I have since put a 086 pipe on that 27 and put it on my new onroad car, but it was wild in my savage with the 053.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:54 PM
twomanytoys

The stock plastic pipe with insert is better than the polished pipe. In my opinion neither one will perform as good as most other pipes.
Old 04-13-2009, 02:45 PM
BudBud

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

The stock plastic pipe with insert is better than the polished pipe. In my opinion neither one will perform as good as most other pipes.
I will second that. I gave away about ten of the polished pipes and all went with a warning that they are not nearly as good as advertised. I actually bought one when I first got into Savages because somebody posted that they were the best pipe available. That was a well wasted 40 dollars that I later gave away. I also tried the Hot Bodies twin with the spring style connector, it was horrible as well. The ones I see running the best have some kind of exhaust extension or deflector attached to the exhaust stinger. They do make a lot of noise though and sound kind of cool.
Old 04-13-2009, 05:50 PM
bigwaltc

I'll throw it in the box with all the rest of the broken- junk parts and order a 053 for it. Thanks guys for all your input [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
twomanytoys

ORIGINAL: BudBud

ORIGINAL: twomanytoys

I will second that. I gave away about ten of the polished pipes and all went with a warning that they are not nearly as good as advertised. I actually bought one when I first got into Savages because somebody posted that they were the best pipe available. That was a well wasted 40 dollars that I later gave away. I also tried the Hot Bodies twin with the spring style connector, it was horrible as well. The ones I see running the best have some kind of exhaust extension or deflector attached to the exhaust stinger. They do make a lot of noise though and sound kind of cool.
I am one of those that you gave the Polished pipe too. [:@]THANKS BUDBUD! J/K . They went in a box of parts and have not been used.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:19 PM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If anybody's giving away free polished pipes, I'd be glad to have one.. I mean, mine's fine - just not so shiny anymore..
Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM
twomanytoys

Use some mothers wheel polish on the pipe. It will shine like new. I do it to all my pipes to bring back the new look.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:11 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

If anybody's giving away free polished pipes, I'd be glad to have one.. I mean, mine's fine - just not so shiny anymore..
PM me Bro [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-14-2009, 05:13 PM
BudBud

I have one too, if you need two....
Old 04-14-2009, 05:36 PM
DamageIncorporated

The ones I see running the best have some kind of exhaust extension or deflector attached to the exhaust stinger. They do make a lot of noise though and sound kind of cool.
Exactly. I won't run my HPI polished pipe without the deflector (made by Dubro). To me, it made a world of difference with this pipe. Currently running it on an Axial .28 Spec 1s.

I'm a little curious as to how you guys mounting these 086 and 053 pipes to your rigs. Are you just drilling new holes for the retaining springs so the pressure fitting is pointing up and the stinger down?
Old 04-14-2009, 05:47 PM
bigwaltc

I used a very stiff wire the biggest one that would fit the hole on my XL [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Old 04-14-2009, 05:59 PM
bigwaltc

ORIGINAL: DamageIncorporated

The ones I see running the best have some kind of exhaust extension or deflector attached to the exhaust stinger. They do make a lot of noise though and sound kind of cool.
Exactly. I won't run my HPI polished pipe without the deflector (made by Dubro). To me, it made a world of difference with this pipe. Currently running it on an Axial .28 Spec 1s.

I'm a little curious as to how you guys mounting these 086 and 053 pipes to your rigs. Are you just drilling new holes for the retaining springs so the pressure fitting is pointing up and the stinger down?
Like this
Sorry I stole your pic Glen [sm=shades_smile.gif]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42682.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1180405  
Old 04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
DamageIncorporated

Ahhhh. Just use it as is! Sweet! Thanks!
Old 04-14-2009, 07:23 PM
BudBud

It is easy on the XL, a little tougher on the X and on the 21s and 25s you really need a Savage header. The chassis plates on the X will allow you to roll that header down to clear the shock. On a 21 or 25 the plate does not drop there and you get pinched by the shocks.

That is the header bend you need for the 21 or 25 and the Dynamite pipe is a better choice as they mount the fuel pressure line at a wider angle to the stinger than Ofna does.

On the X a buggy header with the double bend like that one works fine, you just have a little rub on the shock spring, but only at full extension.

On the XL about any will fit.

As for the pipe hanger, I just bought some heavy piano wire at the RC airplane store here in town and bend a support wire. I took the mount in and just bought the heaviest wire that would fit in the hole.

As for the use of my photos, that is exactly why they are here. Feel free to browse my gallery and use any photo you like. Glen
Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
bigwaltc

Glen I thought you would be all right with it Thanks Walt [sm=shades_smile.gif]