Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Pulse XT 40: couple questions

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Pulse XT 40: couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2009, 04:48 PM
quore

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulse XT 40: couple questions

I just got the Hangar 9 Pulse XT 40, but one thing I have not gotten yet are props. I got the OS 46AX ABL. I read a few posts here about the Pulse and and this motor and saw that some were using an 11x6 prop. Any other opinions on the prop size to use on this plane and engine combo?

Also, read someone talk about using bigger wheels, but I am not sure what size comes with the plane. I am out of town at the moment, so I havnt been able to determine the wheel size that comes with the plane. So if I moved to a bigger size wheel, what size would be good?

I figure being out of town for a little while longer, i could go ahead and order anything I needed to and it would be there when I got home. the closest hobby shop for me is a couple hours away, or i would just take the wheel in and compare it with others.
Old 04-18-2009, 06:49 PM
sthill

Default RE: Pulse XT 40: couple questions

I’m running the OS .46AX on my Pulse XT 40 and the 11x6 prop is an excellent choice. It is reasonably fast and has a ton of vertical. If you want a bit less speed but more thrust you may want to try a 11x5. My pulse came with fairly nice treaded 2.75inch wheels that do well from a reasonably rough grass runway.

Just a tip, I would THROW AWAY the silly axle/bolt combination that comes with the Pulse and get yourself some Great Planes style bolt on axles and collars. I lost an entire day at the field when the original bolt style axles came loose, even after I used CA and thread locker per the instructions. Since you are messing around with wheels I would reinforce the main gear block from the inside with some balsa stock and would also suggest replacing the stock tail wheel with a Sullivan.

All in all the pulse is a VERY honest and forgiving airplane, I’m sure you will enjoy it!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:46 PM
quore

Thanks for the reply. I looked up the Great Planes bolt on axels, but there aer several sizes. Which ones would I need?

I saw a few other posts about the Sullican tail gear. Why is this one better than what comes with the plane? I saw that there are two versions. Would you recommand this one: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFV47&P=ML or the one that says 10 - 22 lbs.?

I have also read about it being a good idea to re-infore the landing gear area. What exactly would this require? It is just cutting a piece of balsa to size and glueing it in or is more involved?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:55 AM
sthill

Honestly, I forget the exact great planes axle size I used just make sure you get the correct axle diameter for your wheels. I would get the longer ones and just cut them to fit.

I use the Sullivan 5-12lb tail wheel. It is great for reducing stress on the rudder and associated servo. The included tail wheel mount is probably OK off paved runways but I fly off a rough grass field.

To reinforce the landing gear area I used some triangle balsa stock and just epoxied it in. Some folks cut out the stock plate and glue in a larger one, but I am lazy and just wanted a little additional protection. No issues yet, and plenty of bad landings to test it out!
Old 04-21-2009, 02:02 PM
FA82Showtime

The landing gear needs to be beefed up for sure. triangle stock etc. Very nice plane to fly.
I got a OS46ax with a macs tuned pipe. with a 11.5x7 bolly prop and this thing MOVES!!!!
I changed the tail wheel out and put in a larger rod. stiffer also.
The motor mount should be CA'd just to make sure. other than that it is a nice plane.
Brad