Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

Howto - Dual to Single aileron conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

Howto - Dual to Single aileron conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:09 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howto - Dual to Single aileron conversion

I have a Lanier Edge 540 87" that was set up originally to accept 2 aileron servos.
I am planning to go with a single HD Power 9150 (222 oz/sq in) servo.

Which is a better location to run a single servo...the inboard or the outboard servo mount.

I compared the wing panel with the wing of an EF Yak 54 88".

The placement of the single servo on the Yak is about 1.5" out (towards the wingtip) when compared to the inboard servo location on the Edge.

I believe that many have converted their 33% planes to use single servos as well.

Thanks.
Old 04-21-2009, 04:27 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Howto - Dual to Single aileron conversion

Use the inboard.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:30 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Some folks are using single servos on wings designed for two and report varying results.

There are basically two reasons for having dual aileron servos per wing; it's an older design which did not contemplate the availability of the high torque servos we have now and.... the construction of the aileron itself. That's important as there is flex in most ailerons and going with two attach points cuts down on that flexing. If you make the aileron stiff enough to resist flexing it adds weight which can be compensated for to some extent during the design phase.

If you put a single servo on the inboard point of a model designed for two servos, you'll most likely have issues with that flexing. It might be fine for 3D flying with low airspeeds, but cause you grief when trying to do precision aerobatics like IMAC. Depending on the model, high speed flight may even result in flutter of the outboard section of the aileron.

As I said, some guys have done this but most who convert to one servo will relocate that single servo to provide a more centerd attach point on the aileron and cut down on the flexing that will occur.
Old 04-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Ih82crash

ORIGINAL: Zeeb

Some folks are using single servos on wings designed for two and report varying results.

There are basically two reasons for having dual aileron servos per wing; it's an older design which did not contemplate the availability of the high torque servos we have now and.... the construction of the aileron itself. That's important as there is flex in most ailerons and going with two attach points cuts down on that flexing. If you make the aileron stiff enough to resist flexing it adds weight which can be compensated for to some extent during the design phase.

If you put a single servo on the inboard point of a model designed for two servos, you'll most likely have issues with that flexing. It might be fine for 3D flying with low airspeeds, but cause you grief when trying to do precision aerobatics like IMAC. Depending on the model, high speed flight may even result in flutter of the outboard section of the aileron.

As I said, some guys have done this but most who convert to one servo will relocate that single servo to provide a more centerd attach point on the aileron and cut down on the flexing that will occur.

Well Said
Old 04-23-2009, 03:26 PM
TailTouch
My Feedback: (54)

Thanks Zeeb.
What I have noticed is that many of the 50cc or even the 75cc planes designed for single aileron servos don't have the servo in the exact middle of the aileron.
It is more towards the inside (towards the wing root)....almost at the 35-40% mark (If you consider the root to be 0% & wing tip 100%).
Old 04-23-2009, 03:46 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike McConville, the guy who designed the Hangar 9, 46% Ultimate, recommends using the inboard servo location when only using one servo instead of two on that plane. When I scratched built my profile, I postitioned the servo so that the horn would be right in the center of the aileron. You don't have that luxury, so I'd use the inboard one. By the way, them are Carden 40% Edge wings that are 52" long each.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp43594.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1185963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu64358.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1185964