Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Post *YOUR* car's 1/4 mile times

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 07:47 PM
NitroVenom

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Post your car's 1/4 mile times

ORIGINAL: black mamba

nitro- It's a standard bore 454 big block (old GM LS6 crate engine), stock GM forged bottom end, old GM aluminum rectangle port heads with some port work, a Comp Xtreme solid lifter (flat tappet) cam with .598 intake/.598 exhaust lift and 252 intake/260 exhaust duration at .050 on a 110 LSA, Victor intake, 850 Mighty Demon carb, HolleyHP 150 pump, and a full MSD ignition. Runs pretty good for being an all steel/full interior car (minus the L88 glass hood). It also has a little 100 shot on it. The car needs a stronger trans and rearend....it's running a Richmond Super T-10 (CF DualFriction clutch) and the stock 8.5" 10 bolt (has Moser axles, C-clip eliminators, Auburn posi, 4.10s). With an Italian straight-cut gearset M22 and a Moser 12 bolt, both of which are wishlisted, it could be pushed a bit harder, but it's fast enough already.
Ya think you have enough $$ into that thing?!? LOL I love when you can hear a big cam in a car when it drives by.. The rear-end is only an 8.5? The stock rear-end for a fox is 8.8"... and the fox is a small block? Idk that Moser 12 bolt should work wonders and maybe give it a bigger shot while your at it. The trany upgrades are greek to me b/c I don't know to much about old Camaro's. What's your timing set at? You must be pushing 700+hp to be runnin low 10's.. which means loads of fun on the streets
Old 04-14-2009, 10:12 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

nitro- It's a standard bore 454 big block (old GM LS6 crate engine), stock GM forged bottom end, old GM aluminum rectangle port heads with some port work, a Comp Xtreme solid lifter (flat tappet) cam with .598 intake/.598 exhaust lift and 252 intake/260 exhaust duration at .050 on a 110 LSA, Victor intake, 850 Mighty Demon carb, HolleyHP 150 pump, and a full MSD ignition. Runs pretty good for being an all steel/full interior car (minus the L88 glass hood). It also has a little 100 shot on it. The car needs a stronger trans and rearend....it's running a Richmond Super T-10 (CF DualFriction clutch) and the stock 8.5" 10 bolt (has Moser axles, C-clip eliminators, Auburn posi, 4.10s). With an Italian straight-cut gearset M22 and a Moser 12 bolt, both of which are wishlisted, it could be pushed a bit harder, but it's fast enough already.
Ya think you have enough $$ into that thing?!? LOL I love when you can hear a big cam in a car when it drives by.. The rear-end is only an 8.5? The stock rear-end for a fox is 8.8"... and the fox is a small block? Idk that Moser 12 bolt should work wonders and maybe give it a bigger shot while your at it. The trany upgrades are greek to me b/c I don't know to much about old Camaro's. What's your timing set at? You must be pushing 700+hp to be runnin low 10's.. which means loads of fun on the streets
It runs mid 10s on the bottle and mid 11s on the engine. There's no cage, so it can't go fast all the time. The timing is set at 36 total, 30 on the bottle to be safe. Horsepower is estimated to be 575-600 at the crank...100 more on the bottle. The heads are holding it back by at least 50hp. They're a 30+ year old design and cylinder head technology has improved so much since then. The nitrous makes up for the lack of modern heads. Other than that, it has a full 3" exhaust with 3 chamber Flowmasters, old Lakewood traction bars, 275/60 ET Street Radials and subframe connectors. It runs on 93 octane and doesn't overheat, so there's nothing to really complain about other than it needing a paint job. Eventually it will look like it did when it was stock...black with the thin red/orange stripes and gold Z28 logos, minus the hood decal.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:13 PM
The Hedgehog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: NitroVenom

ORIGINAL: AutoXMan

Needs to be towed?
Nope [8D] Want me to take some pics for you next time I see it out?
Only if it's convenient, I am not sure I can afford it, but I can pass the word on to people I know may be interested.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:41 AM
VIPER458

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

you don't have to kick in the secondaries every time you drive it
haha yeah i tried driving like that once. it wasnt a whole lot of fun tho...

and that is a very nice camaro!
Old 04-15-2009, 07:10 AM
J.D.T

my last 351 had a 780, with a 2.87 first c 4, 4k stall and 4.56s at $5.68 a gallon for cam 2 I decided the next motor was going to be a pump gas version so I didn't care if it got 8 mpg lol.
That camero sounds good, nice lope, we put a unlimited stock car 468 bbc together onetime with a .609 lift solid cam, basically the colletor went straight out 3 inch to the side of the car under the door, when you were changing tires it was almost like a drum beat that close to you going ugh.....ugh.....you could feel the pulses in your body and it seemed like forever before the next one came lol.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:04 PM
MMT GUNS

Nice Camaro, is that a 1975?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

10 secs in a camaro... I have no idea what my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse will do but I'm sure its nowhere around ten secs.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:19 PM
MMT GUNS

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

10 secs in a camaro... I have no idea what my 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse will do but I'm sure its nowhere around ten secs.
Yore Eclipse stock is around low 15 sec I have a friend with a low 10sec Eclipse AWD
Old 04-19-2009, 01:30 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: J.D.T

my last 351 had a 780, with a 2.87 first c 4, 4k stall and 4.56s at $5.68 a gallon for cam 2 I decided the next motor was going to be a pump gas version so I didn't care if it got 8 mpg lol.
That camero sounds good, nice lope, we put a unlimited stock car 468 bbc together onetime with a .609 lift solid cam, basically the colletor went straight out 3 inch to the side of the car under the door, when you were changing tires it was almost like a drum beat that close to you going ugh.....ugh.....you could feel the pulses in your body and it seemed like forever before the next one came lol.
LOL. I know what you mean....there's nothing like a big cam and open headers. I love driving cars/trucks that have a cam.......my daily drivers suck because they idle so smooth and are too quiet. I need lope to be sane.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:35 AM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: MMT GUNS

Nice Camaro, is that a 1975?
77....same thing though. Other than some of the Z28 parts used in 77, the 75-77s are identical. They were the dark years for Camaros for sure, but if you can find a solid one, they are great performance cars when you toss a little money at them.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:37 AM
black mamba

Nitrous makes stuff go fast.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:47 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Post *YOUR* car's 1/4 mile times

Right now: roughly 2 minutes. That's about how long it'd take me to push the 1/4, as I currently have a blown head gasket and would like to not bend rods trying to rape it in this condition.

Once I get new rod, main bearings in, new gaskets in, and a fresh valvetrain, I guesstimate 16 seconds or so. Old 6,000 pound pickup with 250,000 miles on the cylinders, but that straight six came with 270FT LBs of torque when it was new(According to Wikipedia, anyways. Can't verify that with mine, not by a mile, too old) and still has a fair bit of that left. This is also assuming I'm willing to stress the engine all the way to it's 4100RPM redline, but that's quite a bit to ask of my driveline and clutch, which probably won't be changed. Believe it or not, but I can do all the engine repairs without pulling it!

Someday, that tired old six will be replaced with a 460ci V8 I have. I'm aiming for 500FT LBs with that engine, and I'm mating it to a Tremec 5 or 6 speed and a 3.55 posi when it goes in. That will probably get me into the mid 14's, but then again it's still pulling a 6,000 pound brick through the air...only so much engine is going to do. Plus, I'm not going to do any drag mods, so it's going to be spinning tires like crazy for the first couple hundred feet. Not gonna put that much of a cam in it, nothing more than a 265. I don't need that lope, IMO the lope sounds like utter crap and it sounds like the engine is about to die(And often causes them to die.). Smooth, authoritative idle pl0x.

I love the smooth, quiet idle of that inline six...and the roar it results in when I get the revs up to about 3100 or so. Also, it's got the overdrive manual 4-speed and a 2.73 rear gear. Yay Ford. Gets decent MPG for a pickup from 1985 tho.

You'll never see me drag racing a failmatic! H-gate or go home!
Old 04-22-2009, 12:35 AM
MMT GUNS

It runs mid 10s on the bottle and mid 11s on the engine. There's no cage, so it can't go fast all the time. The timing is set at 36 total, 30 on the bottle to be safe. Horsepower is estimated to be 575-600 at the crank...100 more on the bottle. The heads are holding it back by at least 50hp. They're a 30+ year old design and cylinder head technology has improved so much since then. The nitrous makes up for the lack of modern heads. Other than that, it has a full 3" exhaust with 3 chamber Flowmasters, old Lakewood traction bars, 275/60 ET Street Radials and subframe connectors. It runs on 93 octane and doesn't overheat, so there's nothing to really complain about other than it needing a paint job. Eventually it will look like it did when it was stock...black with the thin red/orange stripes and gold Z28 logos, minus the hood decal.

That's a nice car, are you going to use it this summer on the 1320? I can't wait to finish my Datsun.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

GDR's Camaro does things to ThunderbirdJunkie that ThunderbirdJunkie never thought possible by a 74+ or 69- Camaro.

Is your Camaro single, GDR? ThunderbirdJunkie does not mind older ladies...

mmmm....big block...
Old 04-22-2009, 07:56 PM
A.B.U

Supposedly.. High 12's w/ drag radials.

but on street tires, low-mid 13s.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:33 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

GDR's Camaro does things to ThunderbirdJunkie that ThunderbirdJunkie never thought possible by a 74+ or 69- Camaro.

Is your Camaro single, GDR? ThunderbirdJunkie does not mind older ladies...

mmmm....big block...
Single? Sure for the right price. LOL

The cheapest way to make these heavy 2nd gen pigs run (70-81) with a full interior and body is a big block or a small block on the spray. The plan is to eventually put some AFR or Dart Pro 1 heads on it. Then the nitrous can come off-I'm not a huge fan of it.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:35 PM
black mamba

MMT- We plan on hitting Union Grove and Morocco a few times this summer. If you see the car, come on over and say hi.
Old 04-24-2009, 01:37 PM
brett65
My Feedback: (18)

In the case of most ricers, it makes things explode!
Old 04-24-2009, 02:36 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: brett65

Unless the engine is a Briggs, then it will just rev to 7 grand :P
Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM
J.D.T

while I would agree you can blow them up with nitrous you can build them to handle certain amounts, maybe you stock motor could handle a 40 shot, someone has probably built that same motor and put a 200 or bigger shot on it. I think it was compucar nitrous that advertised if its got a sparkplug we got a nitrous kit for it, I have been witness to some pretty stupid stuff concerning the old giggle gas including a fogger setup on a 225 mopar slant six that ran 9:30s in mostly fiberglass dodge dart. Guys around here put nitrous on lawnmowers, jet skis, snowmobiles, pretty much anything lol. We put a sneaky pete system on a honda express 2 moped in 1987, it was fine until my buddies sister borrowed it and ran over the neighbors dog instead of honking at it, can you guess what we used for the button
Old 04-27-2009, 02:17 PM
Beasley1

Went to PINKS all out this weekednd. My buddies camaro below. 550HP/585Tq. Broke the rearend the 1st run [:@] I bought these pics at the track and scanned them in. I am on the right.

[img][/img]
[img][/img]
Old 04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
black mamba

Looks good! I wish Pinks AO/Pass Time would come to the Chicagoland area....I'd love to go on both of those shows. It would be alot of fun for sure.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
black mamba

ORIGINAL: brett65

If N20 if used properly, it's very safe. Even bone stock engines with cast pistons can use it, just at a lower hit...typically 125 or less on V8s and 100 or less on 6 and 4 cylinders. I'll add that most forget the torque spike N20 creates is far bigger than the hp spike.....but for some reason the N20 companies focus only on the HP rating of a kit. The torque spike is the jolt/slam you feel when the N20 starts flowing. The only bad thing about N20 is that it gets expensive filling that bottle all the time. If you use N20 alot, you'd probably be better off upgrading the engine to make power comparable to N20 power or going with a supercharger or turbo setup.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Beasley1

Went to PINKS all out this weekednd. My buddies camaro below. 550HP/585Tq. Broke the rearend the 1st run [:@] I bought these pics at the track and scanned them in. I am on the right.
What does it run when the rearend stays intact? Nice car.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:15 AM
J.D.T

[/quote]
If N20 if used properly, it's very safe. Even bone stock engines with cast pistons can use it, just at a lower hit...typically 125 or less on V8s and 100 or less on 6 and 4 cylinders. I'll add that most forget the torque spike N20 creates is far bigger than the hp spike.....but for some reason the N20 companies focus only on the HP rating of a kit. The torque spike is the jolt/slam you feel when the N20 starts flowing. The only bad thing about N20 is that it gets expensive filling that bottle all the time. If you use N20 alot, you'd probably be better off upgrading the engine to make power comparable to N20 power or going with a supercharger or turbo setup.
[/quote]

I have tried to explain, from zero to hero with you just a 100 shot. A stock automatic mustang gt convertable will go from a small burnoff to a smoke billowing monster at the push of a button. I am lucky in that my high school shop teacher is a drag racer to this day and still fills bottles out of his shop on nights and weekends. $10 handling fee and $1 a pound on the nitrous, most people that like it upgraded to 20 lb bottles long ago to save a little money.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.