Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

red cat racing dissatisfaction

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM
trapshoota

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default red cat racing dissatisfaction

to whom it may concern,
plz watch what you buy when your buying a redcat racing truck...have had it about a week now and already has broken more times than i can count.....ive spent more time fixing this thing more than i have drove it...very dissappointed in this truck
if anybody else has these problems pls feel free to post
Old 04-27-2009, 09:41 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE: red cat racing dissatisfaction

Sounds pretty standard you bought a very very very VERY entry level rc. What did you expect to be able to jump it like the slash?
Old 04-27-2009, 10:01 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You get what you pay for - personally I'd avoid those vehicles (and the other many brand names they're sold under) and stick to the more established brands.

In this hobby, it's generally worth paying a bit more to avoid lots of headaches down the line.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:27 PM
trapshoota

i thought i would give it a try seeing how everybody was saying there such a great company and all and then i got screwed now i have a tmaxx on the way
Old 04-27-2009, 10:33 PM
sheograth

The T-maxx is a tried and true truck, with great parts support at most any hobby shop. Lot of hop up parts are also available from various different companies.

Also consider the HPI Savage, an excellent basher.
Old 04-27-2009, 10:44 PM
dacaur

There are tons of posts saying to stay away from redcat.... You will notice that all the posts praising them are from the same handfull of people.....
Old 04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
GlassBullet
My Feedback: (1)

same deal with exceed
Old 04-28-2009, 12:15 AM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

For that matter you can find tons of posts saying to stay away from the t-maxx too.

Honestly, I think redcat makes some good stuff. Unfortunately they all have problems at some time or another.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:24 AM
DrDremel

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

For that matter you can find tons of posts saying to stay away from the t-maxx too.

Honestly, I think redcat makes some good stuff. Unfortunately they all have problems at some time or another.
+1 I'm with cummins driver on this one, they all have issues.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:40 PM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: trapshoota

i thought i would give it a try seeing how everybody was saying there such a great company and all and then i got screwed now i have a tmaxx on the way
Just an observation I've made is most of those people who think these cheapie cars are great are either Canadian or Australian.

You can draw your own conclusion.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 PM
sheograth

Part of it is that when you search for RC cars online - Exceed/Himoto and all their rebrands pop up everywhere including ebay. Even in ads on RCU, it's very easy for a newer hobbyist to think of them as the most logical option. And the price always looks good compared to HPI, Traxxas, Losi, etc. The key is to see why the price is lower.

It's especially dangerous for newer people because they get worthless manuals, worthless tools, worthless break in instructions, and often zero parts support locally. Not to mention that few higher end parts houses make hop ups for these vehicles

All that said, there is a time and place for buying these things. I've owned a few just to mess with, but I knew full well what I was buying when I did it. If you absolutely NEED a cheap RTR, go for it. If you can afford to do better, by all means do.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Willystylz

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

Just an observation I've made is most of those people who think these cheapie cars are great are either Canadian or Australian.

You can draw your own conclusion.
whoa.......rewind......back up.......wait a sec..........HUH???
Old 04-29-2009, 05:55 AM
Kitsune
My Feedback: (7)

Sure, it's just that these bargain brand have problems much more frequently.
Old 04-29-2009, 07:18 AM
breezerboat

That's funny, but I'm not laughing at you. My first car was a Redcat. I now have an Associated and it's WAY better. I am waiting on a tranny for my Redcat. Once I get it working again, I am not going to drive it. Why? you ask... Because i don't want it to break again. Ha Ha Ha.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:37 AM
derrick05

ORIGINAL: Kitsune

Sure, it's just that these bargain brand have problems much more frequently.
Not any more frequently than a T-MAXX
Old 04-29-2009, 12:27 PM
TIGER76

Most people who ask about these entry level rcs get told the same ie part support and weak parts thats why most advise new guys to get a branded rc so hopups and problems are easliy sorted etc live and learn i guess

If you dont want breakages go for the savage you cant go wrong with one for bashing and jumping
Old 04-29-2009, 12:54 PM
Shaun1414

I hate RedCat Racing and Exceed RC. Don't buy any of there stuff, get your self a good entry level vehicle. Stampede, Rustler, Bandit, E-maxx, slash ect, ect. I always suggest Traxxas stuff to people, they are awesome beginner vehicles, and good for experienced rc'ers. Also, every where that you go in America that has a hobby shop will more than likely have Traxxas.

I work in a hobby shop, and hate it when people bring in the RedCat, and Exceed cars.
Old 04-29-2009, 04:34 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

ORIGINAL: Shaun1414

I work in a hobby shop, and hate it when people bring in the RedCat, and Exceed cars.
Thats the kind of attitude that will turn people away from the hobby all together. If they bring one of those in and are needing help and the hobby shop frowns on helping them with it, then they are likely to just forget the hobby all together. The basic mechanics and principles of all the nitro r/c's are pretty much the same, except with differences in the design and parts quality. Why not be supportive and try to help them out with it. Maybe next time they will come to you for a reccomendation on a vehicle.

You can get parts for the redcat and exceed r/c's, you just have to order most of them. How do you think any company got started? They have to build a customer base, and then hobby shops start picking up their parts and models when there is a demand for them. They are good models for people to learn on. They learn how to operate and fix things and then they can get the best out of a better brand when they step up.

For the money, I think the redcat and himoto are ok as long as you dont expect it to win races and jump 20ft without breaking. They have an SH engine, and although it is the cheap SH engine, i still found the one i worked with for a buddy to be very easy to start and tune, despite not having a proper break in. It was actually a fun little truck to drive.

Eric
Old 04-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Willystylz

well put..........there's nothing more dissatisfying than going into a hobby shop for help and people not wanting to give you the time of day just because your equipment is not to their liking. It might not turn me off of the hobby, but I can tell you I'd never return to that hobby shop.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
Baldoom

i gotta put in my two cents. i got this car off a buddy cuz it was broken and i love a new chance at trying to fix something. after fixing it provisionally i did some research and figured that their cars do what their supposed to. sure they might have weaker parts or whatever but i think an experienced driver would have no trouble. i'm very new to this so i break parts all the time but whatev i'm still learning to drive. i like it overall.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 PM
breezerboat

You're right about learning to drive. I sometimes wonder that if my first car were not a Redcat, but a nice one, it would have still been beat up bad. I learned a lot with that car. Now I can drive w/o running into stuff all the time. Things never break anymore (knock on wood). And I drove my Redcat car in my garage tonight. I think back to when I first started and I remember thinking how I couldn't keep it from hitting curbs. Now I drive in around in my garage and barely hit anything. Just controled dognuts everywhere.
Old 04-29-2009, 11:50 PM
race raider

ORIGINAL: breezerboat

You're right about learning to drive. I sometimes wonder that if my first car were not a Redcat, but a nice one, it would have still been beat up bad. I learned a lot with that car. Now I can drive w/o running into stuff all the time. Things never break anymore (knock on wood). And I drove my Redcat car in my garage tonight. I think back to when I first started and I remember thinking how I couldn't keep it from hitting curbs. Now I drive in around in my garage and barely hit anything. Just controled dognuts everywhere.
I might be wrong but I think you could learn to drive a quality car just as well and when you do learn you dont have to spend more money to upgrade. just a thought
Old 04-30-2009, 12:03 AM
Shaun1414

ORIGINAL: Willystylz

well put..........there's nothing more dissatisfying than going into a hobby shop for help and people not wanting to give you the time of day just because your equipment is not to their liking. It might not turn me off of the hobby, but I can tell you I'd never return to that hobby shop.
See this is what happens when you have no idea of the hole story. I said I hate when people bring the crap in. I always help them, you have no idea how many hours I have spent matching parts with other manufacters to make sure that the people get what they need.

ORIGINAL: Shaun1414

Thats the kind of attitude that will turn people away from the hobby all together. If they bring one of those in and are needing help and the hobby shop frowns on helping them with it, then they are likely to just forget the hobby all together. The basic mechanics and principles of all the nitro r/c's are pretty much the same, except with differences in the design and parts quality. Why not be supportive and try to help them out with it. Maybe next time they will come to you for a reccomendation on a vehicle.

You can get parts for the redcat and exceed r/c's, you just have to order most of them. How do you think any company got started? They have to build a customer base, and then hobby shops start picking up their parts and models when there is a demand for them. They are good models for people to learn on. They learn how to operate and fix things and then they can get the best out of a better brand when they step up.

For the money, I think the redcat and himoto are ok as long as you dont expect it to win races and jump 20ft without breaking. They have an SH engine, and although it is the cheap SH engine, i still found the one i worked with for a buddy to be very easy to start and tune, despite not having a proper break in. It was actually a fun little truck to drive.

Eric
Like I said above, I always help the people get what they need and help them figure it out.

Most hobby shops can't get Red Cat parts, most hobby shops have 2 dealer account, 1 with Horizon Hobby, and 1 with Great Planes. Red Cat isn't sold through either one, though there is talk of RedCat being picked up by Great Planes, and that would be great if they were.

I'm just saying for the same amount of money you can go get a Losi, Traxxas, or AE inc. vehicle and be able to find parts at any hobby shop in America.

Yes, the principle is the same, but the parts are very very cheap. For instance the flywheels on the RedCats are molded pot metal, and are very week.
Old 04-30-2009, 04:17 AM
guy4x4

Eric
Best thing I heard in along time well put.
Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM
no redcat

I purchased a redcat landslide 3 weeks ago...I have already put 120 bucks in repairs in it. I haven't even been able to drive it yet. Im new to this rc stuff and good god almighty am I angry. It's back in the hobby shop for the 13th time. What a mistake I have made. Everytime I go to the hobby shop the guys laugh at me because I am literally there all the time. Its been through about a half gallon of 20% nitro and Im ready to beat the f&%k out of it with a bat. I guess I should have bought a traxxas. When I get it out of the shop...Im going to be afraid to drive it. Evertime i get it to go something else happens. Somebody kill me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.