Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recovering boats with R/C boats

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Recovering boats with R/C boats

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 05:18 PM
Matt_M

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recovering boats with R/C boats

So how exactly do you do this? I have heard that it is done but have no idea how. I have a slow V bottom which could recover my hydro if it crashes, and I'm just wondering what the best thing to rig up to it is.

Thanks
Old 04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
PT109

Default RE: Recovering boats with R/C boats

Some years ago, in R/C Model Boating magazine, there was a construction article of such a model boat/recovery vehicle. It was R/C electric powered and and as I recall, was a catamaran that had a aluminum framework that was covered with a netting. This model should do the trick; I wonder if anyone on this forum remembers that construction article? Regards, PT-109
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM
misshydro

Heres what a oldtimer 30year racer told me to do.. take a electric boat put a 5-8 pounds test line fishing string on the back of it and leave the string on the shore side..run your elecrtic boat around the dead boat and stop it.. then take the string on the shore side and pull them both in..that way your not burning your motor out on the electric boat..
Old 04-30-2009, 11:13 PM
thorsail

another idea is to make a "H" shaped grabber/pusher thingee . attach to rescue vessel and use it to push stranded boat back to shore .
Allan
Chicago
Old 04-30-2009, 11:15 PM
thorsail

oops hit OK twice
Old 05-01-2009, 06:35 PM
HendricX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

About tha MGB article ... [link=http://www.modelgasboats.com/Magazine_Content/How-to_Articles/Boat_Retrieval_System/]T H I S [/link] is it.

And a YouTube demo :

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fVPjuybDGZI[/youtube]
Old 05-02-2009, 02:01 PM
785boats

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made this out of a cheap boogie board & a couple of old 550 motors. Then added a couple of ducted fans to get boats out of the weeds.
Any slab of foam will do.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoRZpx4WyY[/link]
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpHQi-456c[/link]
All good fun.
With the boat you've got, the idea posted by Misshydro & HendricX is your best option. A tried & tested method all over the world.
Cheers.
Paul.
Old 05-03-2009, 05:06 PM
Matt_M

Thanks for the videos guys. Looks like a great idea.

Just wondering, what if something like an outrigger lands upside down and it has no protrusions under the water to snag? I realize the tug boat with H would work better in that scenario, but I'm just curious if there are any other tricks out there.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:25 PM
misshydro

Well the proublem with guys using U pushing boat even pulling boat is you going to put more strain on those electric motor in which could burn up on you..=another stranded boat to re-trieve..My boyfriend just talk to the year 30 boat racer today.. He no longer races boats,but does drag races nitro rails.. The electric boat video with the hammer is the wright thing to do!That guy is wright on the mark.That what I been say all along.. If your rigger flips over these a attana plus tune pipe to snag on to too.
Old 05-03-2009, 07:37 PM
Matt_M

ORIGINAL: misshydro

If your rigger flips over these a attana plus tune pipe to snag on to too.
Huh?

Edit: Oh, OK. I think you were saying the "antenna" is there also. Well the rigger I am putting together is an electric, and has no antenna as it will be spectrum radio. I'm just trying to figure out what the safest thing to have on hand is, in the event of a crash. I don't run any nitro boats.

I'm beginning to think that maybe I should just get a cheap canoe so that I know I will be able to get to it.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:02 PM
misshydro

if you got somthing to hall your canoe that would be good.. But some of us dont have that option..I have a car .and a electric boat would would and take less room then a canoe..
Old 05-04-2009, 12:21 AM
LtDoc

There are probably as many methods of retrieving boats as there are people doing it. The only thing that really matters is that which ever method you decide to use (or methods), keep it fairly 'simple'. If it works, it works. Doesn't really matter how outlandish it is, sort of.
Using a 'snag-line' works in most instances if there's something to 'snag'. Rather push a boat in? Fine, do so. If you are worried about burning up the motor in that rescue boat, then that boat just isn't all that suitable for rescue work, is it?
Swimming after a boat isn't exactly the smartest thing in the world to do for several reasons. I'm sure you can think of a few of them. Think 'extremes', that isn't all that unlikely an occurrence, unfortunately. It's your 'neck', literally. You never know what someone may have thrown in that water. And in one place where I boat, I'm not thrilled with getting that water on the boat, much less -on- me!
- 'Doc

If you really get desperate, train a duck to retrieve.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:14 AM
Ghost in the shell

what I have done in the past, is using a twin screw boat, cruise out to the broken down vessel, then reverse up to it gently, once contact is made, give it full power astern and push the boat in. a flat stern boat like that of the wyreforce, Al Khubar, Smit nedland or Aziz tug is best. if you have a pusher tug, just drive past the broken down boat, turn around and come at the broken down boat, and drive upto it, once you have made contact, keep on driving and push it ashore.

as for "burning motors out", pushing a striken boat is no different that having a pusher tug with 3 or 4 barges in tow, as long as the props can spin freely you will not do any damage to the motors. its prolonged stalling of motors that does the damage.

I have used my RTR Southampton:
sail out to, then reverse to farside of casualty boat, and keep on reversing until boat is ashore, using differential thrust to steer it in,

Sydney Star: sail out to casualty boat and pull along side, engage the bow and stern thrusters, then crab ashore, pushing the striken boat. (works ok with small RTR toys, not so well on bigger boats due to power availability.

even my najade speedboat was used once, to collect a yacht, (my yacht) that was done by moving out to it, then turning around then going between the forestay wire and the foresail, once snagged, the najade was brought to the bank, riding the yacht!

a pvc X frame with pool noodles is a good bet, simple to make and works with (PRACTICALLY) any boat as long as the bow isn't too sporty, if it is, the frame can be adapted to be tied to the propulsive rescue boat.

Even something as simple as a box-hull with two propellers, utilizing tank steering will work
Old 05-05-2009, 06:18 AM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Trailing the line and circling the cripple is still my favourite for anything more than a few feet out - there is a reasonable certainty of getting them both back, and if the problem was weed, there is the chance of retrieving rescue boat, cripple and clump of weed all in one go.
Old 07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
-pkh-
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: 785boats

I made this out of a cheap boogie board & a couple of old 550 motors. Then added a couple of ducted fans to get boats out of the weeds.
Any slab of foam will do.
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGoRZpx4WyY[/link]
[link]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLpHQi-456c[/link]
All good fun.
With the boat you've got, the idea posted by Misshydro & HendricX is your best option. A tried & tested method all over the world.
Cheers.
Paul.
That's a pretty cool rescue boat. You have any detailed photos showing the electronics and drive systems?
Old 07-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Yes, be careful pushing and towing with model boats...
It is dangerously addictive and fun, and even challenging when
the tows start to get to be 400-900 lbs... like pumpkins...

No rigging here, just keep the pumpkin ahead of you and make
good use of the rudder.

Oh, and rafts... M@lline Vaargroep at play...

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35244.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1246109   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82997.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	117.4 KB
ID:	1246110   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq38780.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1246111   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pj17774.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	1246112   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do83116.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	1246113  
Old 08-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

A couple more pics of the M@lline Vaargroep to serve as a lesson to
those that are wary of towing or pushing small loads with their model boats.

And Arrow5's HMS Invincible getting a push from an enthusiastic Tug modeler.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62283.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1248678   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25643.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	1248679   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ms42858.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	1248680  
Old 08-02-2009, 06:05 PM
mfr02

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Thought about the inverted boat without an external aerial. Fit a dummy stub. Problem solved, there is now something for the line to snag. A floating line might also ride over the inverted boat, especially if the rescue boat gets close. The prop and rudder are on top, and available to be snagged.