Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Black Horse arf's anyone seen them ?

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Black Horse arf's anyone seen them ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 12:26 AM
tIANci

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Black Horse arf's anyone seen them ?

ave - if you can fly the Twin Jet then you should be able to fly the BH Extra, the OS 70 is not too powerful at all. Will be just nice ...
Old 06-03-2007, 05:00 PM
ave1991

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi tIANci thats good to hear. jst been kacking it abit really because i havent flown glow planes for a while.
Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 AM
forestroke

these planes don't fly themselves so you have to be able to fly your plane all the way down to the ground. the best is to have already flown a low wing trainer and a taildragger before you embark on flying the extra. it's not difficult, per se, but it's not going to be easy either. i'd suggest a good test is to be able to fly around your field in whatever current plane your flying on, inverted a full circle. if you can do it, i think you're a-okay.

start on lower rates and try to have someone with good experience check out your plane and take her up for the first time to trim her out. good luck!!!
Old 06-04-2007, 02:17 AM
forestroke

tianci - long time, bro. anyway... twinjet to extra? i'm not convinced! i think you need a lot more skills to fly an extra. you've got that whole landing thing to do :-) anyway, we'll know soon enough! kekkekekek
Old 06-04-2007, 04:14 AM
tIANci

Forestroke!!! Its been too long ... where have you been? PM me and let me know what nasty things you been up to!

As for the Extra its easy to land, relatively that is. Seen many guys who would not dare to fly the Twin Jet having tons of fun with the BH Extra, I would say she comes in a little faster than something like the WM Mentor or Super Sport ... will eventually snap but not too readily so no need to worry much.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:10 PM
forestroke

i've not flown the BH but i've had a few similar planes. although i would agree that it's not difficult to fly if you've set it up right and never get yourself in trouble, but i doubt it lands like a Supersports. i swear those planes land themselves!!!

anyway, good luck!

tianci - yeah been a long while!!! i'm itching to fly again.
Old 06-04-2007, 11:29 PM
tIANci

Forestroke - scratch that itch!!! I flown them all and I will say the BH Extra will be a happy plane to own and fly. Not the best in the market but really cheap in the UK compared with the rest. They are tough too, don't ask me how I know. I love the SU 31s, I had 3.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:06 PM
corkguykev

hi there.
i got a black horse sukhoi su 31 last week. its the smaller 40 size one. i put in an irvine 53 on a 12 by 6 prop. broke in the engine a little and got it test flown by 2 different experienced fliers at my local club and it frightened the life from them. fair enough my rates were high for the model but when i calmed them down it still goes berserk on take off or if you fly her any bit too slow. my battery is behind the fuel tank as recommended. could it be tail heavy still as i have read that the cg is marked wrongly on these models? it really gets into a lot of trouble on take off. wobbles left to right and goes off on its own little journey to god knows where until it picks up decent speed but when i got into a bit of orientation trouble with it i nearly lost her to a serious wobbling, wallowing uncontrollable 5 second phase which i was lucky to recover her from when i slowed a little to get my bearings. it even flicked over inverted.i thought my tranny or receiver was after failing. dangerous little model at the moment, especially on take off. i would appreciate any input from any owners/ fliers of this model as i am only waiting for the soon approaching day i smash it. is my balance right on the c of g? is the engine and prop ok or does this model like a long runway to get plenty speed up? it did land well but the thought never crossed my mind to actually get her inverted to check if the balance was ok by checking if she dropped the nose while inverted. i was trying too hard to keep her in 1 piece and she is twitchy if you pull any stick too far.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:32 PM
IAMKAOS

i believe the black horse .40 sukhoi 31 is made by phoenix models that are sold by tower hobbies. i had the phoenix sukhoi 31 and i have seen the black horse sukhoi .40. they both looked the very same. sometime ago i read on another thread that some of black horse models were manufactured by phoenix models. i'm almost sure they are the same plane. my phoenix sukhoi flew great with enya .50 cx. but it did not like slow to medium tight turns. it would snap out on you.but i had no balance problems with it at all.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:48 PM
corkguykev

maybe the balance isnt the issue. still shes a handful on take off though. no telling which way the bloody thing will go. maybe this model needs plenty of runway to get up the airspeed for a controlled take off, for a change cos the last 2 times it has gone bananas almost from the moment it left the ground and it definitely doesnt like to be flown slow either. i have been considering a 70 sized 4 stroke with a bigger prop for more wash over the wings. it makes my bh spitfire a very stable model to fly by comparison. still dont wanna mess with her either as i did get her stalled before and very nearly lost her the same way as the sukhoi.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
IAMKAOS

i found a old review of the bh sukhoi .40 dating may 2003. looks like this guy had problems with it too . poor handling problems and a very poorly built wing structure that he believed was causing it to be eratic in flight, maybe wing flexing? he cut into the wing and found problems with assembly of the wing. i tried to install the link to the site but it was rejected.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:12 PM
tIANci

I don't know about you guys but my BH SU31 was perfect, not the best of planes but was just right for a beginner who was going into aerobatic planes. I used a mere TT46 only and the CG was at about 100 mm. It flies in a steady manner. I had the older non laser cut ones and also the laser cut ones. The latter was lighter. I had 3 of those planes and it was really good fun. I never had any problems with the lift offs, she tracked straight. I did try her with a TT61, that was not good, the extra weight was no fun at all.

I think you might was to try and lower your throw rates and see if that might be the problem. I would advise to keep the CG at about 95 mm for the maiden ... then you can slowly take it back.
Old 06-22-2007, 04:29 PM
corkguykev

i must have gotten the monday morning one so lol. figures. it is ok to fly when you have airspeed but next time i take her off itll be at the far end of the runway after she gets maximum speed just in case. hope that works.
Old 06-22-2007, 06:18 PM
IAMKAOS

type this link into your browser to access a review a may 2003 of the b.h. sukhoi .40.....

homepage.ntlworld.com/grahamlegg/sukhoi.html

i also read another review from a fella who claimed he was afraid to fly his after he built it because he had heard horror stories about its heart stopping behavior as soon as it leaves the ground. sounds like the same problem you have got
Old 06-24-2007, 08:07 AM
corkguykev

thanks for the link. my wing looks ok though. i checked it after i read that review and its definitely not concave anyway and it feels solid enough as well. i had already found that page on google before but on the product reviews here the black horse sukhoi had 2 out of 2 good reviews from people who had them. i really should think more before i buy but that model is so nice i gave in and bought it.
i havent flown her in over a week due to work and i had a competition this weekend so maybe next weekend ill try again. this time ill let her run along the ground as long as i can to get up speed and if that fails, ... well i might not have to worry any more about it possibly. i hope that at the worst it crashes near me to save a long walk lol. pity really but i will say that if you can fly that model you could fly anything. i thought the spitfire was supposed to be the hardest model to fly but nothing compared to this. i suppose im a bit spoiled from flying my angels shadow so much recently too. those models fly themselves but you have to be on the ball all the time with this one.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:10 AM
Tiffie

Default RE: ?

Most of the posts here seem to talk about all the really old Black Horse models like the Extra and Sukhoi 40 sizes.

Try the CAP 232 180 and the really new Chipmunk. I've got both and they are superb. All laser cut and covered in Oracover. I know that the Canter is a great general club model as I've seen it fly and the Twister is really liked here in the UK.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:12 AM
Tiffie

By the way... you guys in the US should try Hobby People (Hobby Shack) as I've heard they are doing some really good deals on Black Horse!!!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
_SYC_

You really need to watch it with black horse models they may pin the hinges
but I've had 2 flying buddies lose elevators from the pins dropping out as thats
all that holds them, there's no glue just pins so be warned. They both ended in
complete write off's and have put me off buying from black horse all together.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:10 PM
RoysterDW

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 2 BH models, well one now due to a electronic failure.

I had a Sukhoi SU-31 40 size with a 555AX and it went ballistic! However KE was very average with coupling. Quality is OK but there is room for heaps of improvement and puts them on an even par with other mid brand ARFs out of China that are still building their brand awareness.

The other I still have is BH Bravo 303 pattern plane with a OS91 Pumped 4 stroke and its a NICE plane. I would not say it is good as our Excelleron 50 made by Sportsman Aviation and that is a brand (Sportsman Aviation) the all ARF manufacturers should pay heed to. Quality planes!!

So, yeah Black Horse are good, but not as good as other stuff out there.

Would I buy another Black Horse?

Mmmmm, dunno. Maybe not. I have yet to buy a Hanger 9 or Kyosho so I guess the answer would be no.

IMO

Old 08-10-2007, 06:35 PM
_Tommy D
My Feedback: (20)

FWIW I would like the "Super Air" a lot more if not for the "shelf paper" covering.

Wish I had read the bit about only pins and no glue on the hinges. Strange as they have a lot of lube on them. Figured the lube was to keep the glue out.

Tommy D
Old 02-24-2008, 05:30 PM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

Even though there hasnt been any posts here in a bit, seems the best place to start. A friend bought one of these planes this weekend at the WRAM show in NY (Swap meet item, $40). Seems decent, but of course no manual. Looking to see if any one has one and can supply the suggested throws and the CG location. This one has a funky landing gear setup, but after looking at the stock picture, i can see wht the PO changed them.

http://www.americanpioneerhobbies.com/gladiator.html

BTW, he wrote the original website, but no reply so far.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 AM
million-air

Id suggest getting the su-31 from phoenix models. Its the same plane but I think phoenix solved the weak elevator issues. It also has removed the 3oz led weight in the front and some other issues. Im using a magnum .70. People so far tell me its working out. Just dont fly at slow speed. Maybe during landings when the plane "drops" on the runway add a little throttle to compincate for stall and that should give you a perfect 3- point landing.
Old 01-20-2009, 12:32 PM
stebbo86

I have the 40 size spitfire with a fl70 and it is faultless blackhorse are good kits and easy to work with if i crash this one i will buy another
Old 05-05-2009, 03:46 AM
Handfist
My Feedback: (1)

Hello Royster,

I just bought a BH Bravo 303 from Al's Hobbies at an RC show this weekend. Got a super deal, only 75 pounds ($107), a complete kit.
Would be interested in your optinion building the Bravo and flying it. I have read something about optional retracts, but on the instructions
it doesn't mention anything about retracts. Manual very basic.

I started RC in 1972, then got out of the hobby in 1978. Ha, just got back into it about 1 1/2 years ago because my son just started. Started again
with electric, Slow Stick, Slow Stick X and Eflite Sea Fury. When I left the hobby I was flying a TopFlite P-51 w/flaps and a Top Flite Taurus pattern
ship. I also have a Ripmax Spitfire in the box

Currently living in the UK but will be moving back to the US sometime this year.

Not sure what motor I to get with the Bravo. 4 strokes are expensive, but maybe better off in the long run. Would be great to hear from you and
talk about the Bravo 303

Regards

Mike
Handfist
email: [email protected]