Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Beginners
Reload this Page >

E flite Apprentice vs Hangar 9 Alpha...

Notices
Beginners Beginners in RC start here for help.

E flite Apprentice vs Hangar 9 Alpha...

Old 05-09-2009, 12:05 AM
cjmdjm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: E flite Apprentice vs Hangar 9 Alpha...

To be clear, if I get the mustang (will hopefully come to a final decision in the next few days) I fully intend to use all of the "training wheels" from the get go, and seek instructor help. Even if I install the flap servos, I will leave the flaps down for the entire flight until I am ready for more speed. Though Opjose makes a good point, I may as well wait to install them, so Im not tempted to retract the flaps in flight until Im ready. Also, to confirm, all of my gear from my crashed alpha, eg, starter, glow heater, etc, will work with the mustang, yes? Note that my alpha was quite old, it did not have the evolution trainer power system they introduced in recent years, so it did not have the same engine as the mustang will. And, again, just to make sure, the dx6i will work with the parkzone sukhoi (dsm2) which I have preordered, correct? I also have seen a recall notice for the dx6i. If I order a mustang in the next week or so, what are the odds it will have a new, fixed, dx6i? Would hate to get the plane and immediately have to send the transmitter in for repair, especially since it would ground my sukhoi as well.

Again, thanks guys
Old 05-09-2009, 12:56 AM
opjose

That all sounds good.

You are likely to get the latest rev of the transmitter too.

Horizon is pretty good about dealing with updates to what they have on hand, so they don't have to pay to ship it back and forth to get the end user upgraded.

Old 05-09-2009, 01:02 AM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your starter, glow plug battery/heater etc. will work on the Mustang.

You won't really be able to tell until you get it to see if your DX6i is the newer / updated one or not...the serial # will tell you...you'll need to check just to make sure. You never know how long these things sit in the warehouse before you get it...but I would hope that by now all or most of the recalled ones have been taken care of!?

The DX6i transmitter will work with any DSM2 receiver.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:16 AM
Johnnyrocco123

just sold an electristar on ebay. Great plane, great price. I called hobbico and asked if they were going to make an ARF for the nexstar, he said "uh ....prolly....dont know when...but prolly"
Old 05-09-2009, 06:06 AM
CGRetired
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought a 6i. When I told the LHS that I wanted one, he tried to get one right away, but it was delayed in shipping for a few weeks. When I got it, the unit was outside the recall date stamps (newer) and the mod was installed.

I believe that if you do order the 6i radio, you will most likely get the updated version. Not a guarantee, but if you insist that your LHS order a new one rather than take one from stock.. or if you order it directly from Horizon, you will get new system with the updates installed.

I've been following this thread. An awful lot of great information has passed from person to person. It has been a learing experience for the original poster as it has been for anyone reading it. A lot of experience has helped out. I hope that you take advantage of everything posted here and find out how exciting and rewarding this hobby can be. Rewarding because with each flight, you gain experience that you will eventually share with others in your situation.

Best of luck!

CGr.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:22 PM
cjmdjm

Yeah CGRetired is right you guys have been a great help as always. If I hadn't asked for help on here, I would have probably ended up getting an apprentice, which is probably a fine plane, but I would have been dissapointed when I couldnt make it go nearly as fast as my old alpha. Now Im looking at a much cooler mustang, with a cool computer radio, that can act more or less like a trainer, and later become a fast sport plane. Though youve also convinced me to spend another $100 for it compared to the alpha or apprentice, which could be good or bad, we'll see.

Anyway thanks again guys.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:38 AM
tubamike78

always happy to help. let us know how it goes. and just think, with the dx6i radio, that leaves you with 8 more airplanes that you get to purchase....