Community
Search
Notices
JR Radio & Spektrum Radios Discuss all your JR and Spektrum gear.

Dual 2.4s

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:03 AM
ec121
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual 2.4s

A fellow in our club wants to use dual Spektrum 2.4 rcvrs. I see no problem with that, but does anyone have any experience with running duals in a 42%. He is concerned with crosstalk or delays in the surfaces.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:22 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default RE: Dual 2.4s

Don't worry 'bout that....

Just set 'em up like you would any dual rx install, works fine. The rx's can be bound either simultaneously or separately.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:42 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I asked the same questions of a fellow club member whose son is a JR sponsored pilot and very familiar with JR/Spektrum Do's and Don'ts. He just made his second flight on a KMP Tigercat with twin electric motors for power. He is using two of the 9xxx series Rx's that have the Dual leads for Redundant batteries, etc. The subject came up when he had to ReBind at the field.

He told me that you have to Bind the Rx's at the same time and that Binding them separately will not work. I told him I was under the impression that as long as the Bind Plug was not connected to the Rx, it was Bound, and that Binding to the 2nd Rx would not interfere with the Bind on the 1st Rx. He told me that both Rx's have to be Bound together because each time you Bind an Rx to a Model Memory, a different Code is sent to the Rx, and the same Code must be sent to both Rx's or they both won't Bind to the same Tx/Model Memory.

He was very emphatic that they had thoroughly tested this principal and they were positive that the two Rx's had to be Bound at the same time.

He is very knowledgeable when it comes to the Technical Aspects of JR/Spektrum 2.4 systems and RC Electrics, in general. His son is very tuned in to the JR Mothership.

Is it possible that he is mistaken or perhaps those particular Rx's he is using have different requirements?

He is at Joe Nall this week so I cannot speak with him until he returns. I do not have two Rx's that I can use to test the process, but I have read that Binding each Rx separately was OK.

Thanks.

Old 05-12-2009, 01:07 PM
Hilarious

Why not do the bind operations your self and see if there is any difference? Don't make any changes in the TX programming.
Old 05-12-2009, 03:38 PM
DSTIEBS

He is right. They both have to work on the same code. I don't underdtand why you want 2 receivers that work exactly the same? Channel 1 is the same on both so I guess you have 2-4 servos using the same channel.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:49 AM
Zeeb
My Feedback: (41)

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

Well it's been a bit of time since Dick Hanson and I played with multiple rx's bound to the same model slot on a Spektrum/JR 2.4GHz tx, but we actually got three of them working together and I don't recall there being an issue if they were bound simultaneously or sequentially. It's easy to figure out tho.... just try it....

As for why dual rx's, it was and is commonly done for system redundancy and buss amperage capability on larger GS models. You set 'em up with an rx controlling each side of the model and if one fails, the other should still give enough control authority to get the model back.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:58 AM
BuschBarber

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many IMMAC competitors used Dual Rx's as a safety feature, just like Redundant Battery packs. Some of my fellow club members use Dual 2.4 Rx's, on complex Scale aircraft, to simply reduce the number of connections necessary when assembling the aircraft.

I do not have two 2.4 Rx's out of an aircraft that I can use to test the process of Binding two Rx's to one Tx/Model Memory. I am just trusting what my fellow club member related to me. He said that he and his son thoroughly tested this and he was positive that he had to Bind to Both Rx's simultaneously. He is using an X9303 2.4 Tx.

I wonder, since I am using an XP9303, with a Spektrum Module, and no Model Match, is there a difference in the way the XP9303 Binds to two Rx's, as opposed to the way the X9303 2.4 Binds to two Rx's.?

I know the procedure is the same, but do both Tx's send Code to the Dual Rx's, in the same way?
Old 05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

I have bound an AR6200 and an AR7000 at different times, to the same model in my DX7 transmitter, and they both worked. The AR7000 was bound first, then weeks later I performed the binding process to the 6200 to the wrong model by accident. Thinking I may have erased the 7000s bind, I rechecked it and found the rx working normally.

My guess, and it's just a guess, is that the code to identify a model in the Model Match function is fixed in the transmitters software. I doubt that the Model Match identifier will change no matter how many times you perform the binding process on any given model selection.

JD
Old 05-13-2009, 10:11 AM
DSTIEBS

Thanks Guy's for explaining the reasoning behind using 2 Rx's. I have not seen this done and only came back to this hobby about a year ago so a lot has changed and I am still trying to catchup to all the new gizmo's.
Old 05-16-2009, 01:14 PM
ec121

Thanks for the info.  I will relay it.  IMO(and this is conjecture) if the xmtr has its own GUID(and that is what we are told by the manufacturers) that the rcvr is listening for then it shouldn't matter about the binding.  It would be simple to do it either way so it really doesn't make much difference.  Difference would be if the xmtr generated a new GUID each time it bound.  Then you would have to do it at the same time.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:05 PM
jerdavis
My Feedback: (3)

Exactly!

JD