Go Back  RCU Forums > Electric Aircraft Universe > 3D Electric Flying!
Reload this Page >

Hacker A20-22L? Best Plane for this motor?

Community
Search
Notices
3D Electric Flying! Discuss all aspects of Electric 3D RC flying here!

Hacker A20-22L? Best Plane for this motor?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:03 AM
YakPRO Flyer
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker A20-22L? Best Plane for this motor?

Hello!! I`m new here my name is Samuel and I have a Rcx-Planes 6mm Illusion
http://www.rcxplanes.com/
that needs to retire lol! it has a Hacker A20-22L motor on it powered with a Thunder Power Gen 2, 1320
mAh 3s1p with a Phoenix 25 ESC, My Question is what would be a good replacement 3d Electric Foam plane for this motor and battery combo? I need to get some new batteries anyway so feel free to tell me what would be a good replacement battery. Thanks for any help in advance!

Samuel
Old 05-12-2009, 09:50 AM
DMyer

Default RE: Hacker A20-22L? Best Plane for this motor?

Did you like the old plane? It is a basic design that is similar to many other 6MM Depron foamies and is real easy to make from scratch. Or with a slight modifiation(s) to the tail, wing, fuse profile shapes you can make an extra, edge or yak. I reuse the spars over and over - they never break. Go to RCFoam.com for supplies or just buy any of the other 38"-39" depron 3D foamie kits if you don't want to build.

For batteries I prefer the PolyRC 1500 20C batteries over the 1320 TP which can be had for $37 including shipping from RCLIPOS.com. I have had excellent experience with POLYRC as my son cannot easily kill them like many other brands.

good luck.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:32 AM
rmgmag

I loved my rcxplanes Illusion and their Allure.

Anyway, I took my Hacker A20-22L and put it in a Flash. Expensive, but a great flying plane. Your power system will work perfectly with the Flash, plus, you'll like the Flash a lot better than the Illusion. And the fact that it's EPP means that it'll survive a long long time.

Bob
Old 05-12-2009, 11:02 AM
YakPRO Flyer

ORIGINAL: DMyer

Did you like the old plane? It is a basic design that is similar to many other 6MM Depron foamies and is real easy to make from scratch. Or with a slight modifiation(s) to the tail, wing, fuse profile shapes you can make an extra, edge or yak. I reuse the spars over and over - they never break. Go to RCFoam.com for supplies or just buy any of the other 38"-39" depron 3D foamie kits if you don't want to build.

For batteries I prefer the PolyRC 1500 20C batteries over the 1320 TP which can be had for $37 including shipping from RCLIPOS.com. I have had excellent experience with POLYRC as my son cannot easily kill them like many other brands.

good luck.
Yes I did like the old plane if they still were in production I would have bought another one or two! I will check out RCFoam.com and see if there is anything there that I like. Thanks for the heads up on the batteries at $37 apiece that is a deal!! Thanks for the help I`ll keep you`all in the loop on what I decide to get and how it flies!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 11:08 AM
YakPRO Flyer

ORIGINAL: rmgmag

I loved my rcxplanes Illusion and their Allure.

Anyway, I took my Hacker A20-22L and put it in a Flash. Expensive, but a great flying plane. Your power system will work perfectly with the Flash, plus, you'll like the Flash a lot better than the Illusion. And the fact that it's EPP means that it'll survive a long long time.

Bob
I love my Illusion that is the best flying little foam plane I`ve had yet! I looked at the Flash it looks like a solid plane! What is the advantage of EPP over Depron? Stronger? Weight? and Thanks for the Advice too I cant wait to get back flying my foamies!!!
Old 05-12-2009, 04:11 PM
rmgmag

Because the Flash is made from EPP it's way more durable than the Depron planes like the Illusion. EPP is very flexible, so there's more CF used in their construction, but because EPP 1/2 the weight of Depron, the planes (if designed properly) generally come out lighter than a Depron plane.

Do a search on RCGroups for the Flash. The thread is huge! I still fly some Depron foamies, but if I can find an equivalent EPP plane, I buy it. They're just easier to fix, you can use regular CA (I use Household Goop) and they seem to last forever.

Bob
Old 05-30-2009, 01:22 AM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

If you wanted to step up to a balsa plane,the Fliton Extra 330 Mini would work well with what you have.
Old 06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
YakPRO Flyer

Okay Fellows I finally broke down and ordered a Flash from ICare-Rc in Canada (Soaring USAwas out of stock) it should ship out middle of next week! I cant wait to get it in and see how she flys!! Thanks again for all the advice and I`ll keep you`all updated when it comes in!

Samuel
Old 06-01-2009, 07:31 PM
YakPRO Flyer

is the Poly RC PQ-1500XP-3S Li Poly battery the equivalent or close to the 1320 thunder power battery? I am fixing to order 2 of these batteries if this is the right one.

http://www.rclipos.com/RCL.html
Old 06-04-2009, 01:16 PM
DMyer

ORIGINAL: YakPRO Flyer

is the Poly RC PQ-1500XP-3S Li Poly battery the equivalent or close to the 1320 thunder power battery? I am fixing to order 2 of these batteries if this is the right one.

http://www.rclipos.com/RCL.html
It is a bit heavier with more capacity and a higher discharge rate... I think they are great for 3D and hold up really well. The 1320 is a very good battery, however, I prefer the POLY-RC in general for a 3Dapplication where the least amount of weight is not an issue.

Dan
Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM
YakPRO Flyer

Thanks Dan for the reply! Iwent with somethingalittle different the PQ-1600LP-3s lipo from POLY-RC, it is lighter (1500 122grams) (1600 119grams) but Ijust noticed the 1500 is rated at 75A burst and the 1600 is rated at 43.2a burst, is this going to make a huge difference in power to weight ratio? Oh also the plane shipped on the2nd so it should be here alot sooner than expected!!!

Old 06-05-2009, 07:59 AM
DMyer

Three grams are not going to make any difference on models this size and weight. The 1600 battery has a lower C rating thus a lower continueous/burst rating compared to the 1500XP. I am sure the battery will do just fine although I suspect it will not withstand as much abuse. When we stopped using 12-15 C batteries and started using 20-25Cbatteries the extrapower was very noticable. I tried a number of discount battery brands before Iboughtour firstPoly-RC. While they can be prematurely killed... I have found that only extreme circumstances that would kill any battery will do the trick (planes stuck intrees until battery runs down to zero). My son absolutely abuses batteries with his flying andbaring catastrophe - the Poly-RCXP series will cycle hundreds of times before they fade.Good luck and good flying.
Old 06-24-2009, 01:04 PM
YakPRO Flyer

Srry it took me so long to give you`all an update! Finally recieved the Flash 3d in the mail, I ordered it from icare-rc.com in canada, very good company to deal with! everything came nicely packed nothing was damaged! put it together in about 4hrs and was flying! The Poly-RC batteries are holding up good so far although they are alot heavier than the 1320 thunder power they still work fine. I`m getting about 12 min flights which is pretty good I think. I did not put the landing gear on because I always hover it in and catch it! As for the motor choice the hacker has plenty of power for this plane it will go straight up as far as you can see it! I love this little plane it`s VERY durable. I will try to get a video of me flying it and get it uploaded this weekend! Thanks for all the help and direction on which plane to get I`m very happy with my Flash 3d and would recommend it to anyone!

Samuel
Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 PM
EPflyer12
My Feedback: (1)

Any DW Foamies 38" plane