Community
Search
Notices
Electric Indoor & Micro RC Flight Talk about this fast growing niche in rc. Micro radios, micro electric or co2 powered planes, heli's both indoors and out.

Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 02:50 PM
tubamike78

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Phase 3 Mini Spitfire ep

i can check mine tonight. i'm using dx6i tx with ar6100e rx, i set my epa to their max and left high rates at 100%, but i never measured the deflection.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:27 PM
drypipe

No. I'm going to wait till the price drops 65% or so before I invest in the mini Spitfire. Email Phase 3 and in about six weeks they should let you know about the control throws on the ailerons. If you need a quicker answer to this Phase 3 product, email Global Hobby Distribuitors; they should answer your question in about three weeks. I have asked them hundreds of questions concerning thier products before, and their responce to emai tech. questions is somewhat slow, even slower now with the Christmas Holiday rush.

Plane nuTs,
Drypipe.
Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 PM
tubamike78

i checked mine tonight, showing 1/4" throw for everything.
Old 12-07-2008, 09:56 AM
ShokWaveRider

ORIGINAL: tubamike78

i checked mine tonight, showing 1/4" throw for everything.
Thanks I appreciate it. I will set mine accordingly.

SWR
Old 03-25-2009, 07:13 PM
Wheelnut
My Feedback: (81)

I just bought one of these from Hobbypeople.net for $49.00. It was in my weekly on sale email from them. I went ahead and got some extra props while I was at it.
Does anyone still own one of these. Are you liking it or not. I checked out some videos of it on youtube and it looked like if flies pretty good.
Old 03-25-2009, 10:56 PM
drypipe

I also ordered one from HobbyPeople, it should arrive in a week. I knew the price would be reduced to a reasonable amount for the majority of us r/c airplane hobby buffs!!

pLaNe NuTs,
Drypipe
Old 03-29-2009, 08:06 AM
bhoges17

Its a blast to fly. I got mine on friday. I adjusted the servos for max throws and it does loops and rolls no problem. Im getting about 8 min of run time. I might swap out the wing servo to increase the speed of throw. Worth the money for $50. I messed mine up a bit when I landed and didnt look behind me and it hit a goal post. It fixed but a few cracks developed. I might split a pack to make another battery.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:24 AM
Wheelnut

I haven't even flown mine yet and I'm already wishing I would have bought two while they were on sale
Old 03-29-2009, 01:10 PM
drypipe

Wow! 8 min. on that single cell 1300 mah battery? I think it is the same battery that is in the Phase 3 "Swoop", I'll have to check my Swoop. What kind of replacement micro servo are you going to put in the wing? High torque? A Futaba S3114, S3115 or S3902? let me know and I just may do the same thing. My Spit came yesterday, but it has been raining all day and for the rest of the week.
What size field are you flying it in? Is it smaller than a foot ball field?

pLaNe NuTs,

Drypipe
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Wheelnut

I need some help guys.
First of all, one of the screws that hold on the wing was not long enough. I used the long one in the front like they said. Anyway, I made a quick run to the hardware store and took care of that. Second of all, the battery has to be crammed in the battery slot on top of the plane. Not a great fit.
Then after setting it up, I was checking the controls and the servo for the elevator came loose. The double sided tape didn't hold that well I guess. It is very hard to get to because the opening under the wing is very small. I did the best I could and pushed it back in place. Went to the local field and put full throttle on, gave her a good launch, she flew about 20' out and she started to roll, I applied opposite aileron and she rolled worse and went down hard nose first[:@]. Jammed the Prop spinner into the front of the fuse, and broke the prop.
Upon further inspection, I realized that I had not checked the function of the aileron good enough and it was reversed. That is why it rolled worse when I applied opposite aileron.

So here are the problems I face now. The motor is loose and needs to be remounted. There is no easy access cowl on this plane. As far as I can tell the whole fuse will have to be split in half to access the motor, to remount it. Unless someone has a better idea, I would love to hear it.
While I am splitting the fuse in half, I might as well put a better elevator servo in and glue it.
Should I put a brushless motor in it while I am at it? If so, what motor? and how would you mount it??
Old 04-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Wheelnut

When all else fails, help your self

So, I split the plane in half and found that the CHEESY motor mount cracked and that is why it was loose. Cheap 1/8" plastic band. Also the elevator servo mount is the cheapest thing I have ever seen. It is basically some shrink wrap around the servo held to the fuse with some very cheap double sided tape. I ripped that out and glued this cheap servo I had laying around. It is cheap but it is better than the one they had in there. At first I had decided not to put in a better servo, but the servo horn was broke and while I was trying to pull of the broke servo horn to replace it, the whole servo case came apart[X(]. So I threw it away and glued this one in.
The plane is about 50% back together now. I will be sure to double check my aileron settings before flying next time.
Can't wait to finally give this plane a go.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91631.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	1173571   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xt60300.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1173572   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76339.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1173573  
Old 04-05-2009, 09:27 PM
drypipe

Can you believe that hobby People was trying to get $100.00 for this piece of junk? I purchased mine at the sale price of $50.00 and after looking at your issues, I really think the plane is only worth around $25.00 retail. I have not flown mine yet and perhaps, after your experience, I just might return it back to Hobby People for a refund. But I will wait to see what other pilots experiences have been with this plane.
As for a brushless motor look at the micro Figaro motors on BP hobbies web or go to www.blackdogrc.com, they have a lot of small brushless motors. As for a BL motor mount, you may have to clamp it in the same way as the can motor, or epoxy it in place. Just keep the same pitch of "right and slightly down" to counter the prop. torque.
I hope you get this plane together and up to speed for a reasonable flight. You should really try to return it back to Hobby People for an exchange. Just tell them you had a motor mount defect and the plane went out of control. A mechanical error.

PlAne nUtS,

Drypipe
Old 04-05-2009, 09:42 PM
drypipe

Wheelnut, when you do get this "Airplane" back together, Check all of your control surfaces by doing a simple range check. Make shure that the ailerons function in the proper direction when you move the aileron stick. Also check the evevator function. Secure the servos in place with some foam safe CA or epoxy.
Double check your CG. For sharper turns, try replacing the aileron servo arm with a longer control arm or replace the entire servo with a Futaba S3114 micro and longer control arm.

I also had to learn the hard way: Always, Always, DO A PRE FLIGHT CHECK!

Hope this helps.

pLaNe NuTS,
Drypipe
Old 04-05-2009, 10:57 PM
Wheelnut

There are some guys that have had good luck with this plane so far. It was mainly my fault for not checking the aileron for proper setup. I had it reversed. But, on the other hand you would expect a plane to handle one simple nose crash with out the motor coming loose and the elevator servo coming loose. One more thing, is the plane is not repair friendly. I had to split the plane down the middle to get to the things that needed repair. So for the most part it is disposable.

I have glued in a better servo. No way am I putting in a nice servo. I have also glued the motor mount, and the two halves of the fuse is glued back together. I will put the rest of it together tomorrow and give her another go as soon as the weather and my schedule permits.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:40 AM
drypipe

Wheelnut,
When you glue the fuselage together, try using the clear sink sicilone gell in the small tube. You can find this stuff in the plumbing dept at WalMart. This will close the fuselage and will also allow you to easly pry the plane apart if you need to access the motor or servo again! It should work fine . I have used it to seal the canope on my AT-6 Texan, because I probably will add a pilot figure at a later time. This stuff will harden into a plyable gell but will hold foam together and be easy to pull apart without the need to cut through foam again.

PLanE nUTs,
Drypipe
Old 04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
drypipe

I have not flown my Mini Spit yet. I have just replaced the aileron servo with a Futaba mircoa S3107. I had a heck of a time trying to remove the OEM servo, was glued in very well, and I did ding up the sides of the servo well-cheap foam material, should of been EPP or EPO foam!! I also must admit there is no way to access the elevator servo except to cut an acess hatch on the port side of the fuselage. Phase 3 should have considered the possibility of minor adjustments (if needed ), with the servo arm linkage. This would have given the customer more freedom of PM maintenance on his aircraft.
I am considering to throw in a Feigao mirco brushless and a 6A esc. Also, as a side bar, you should go with the 2mm Prop Saver Hobby People has on back order. The Spitfire's shaft is 2mm dia. This may save you on props.

plAnE NuTs,

Drypipe
Old 05-12-2009, 05:29 PM
tremblay7
My Feedback: (1)

Has anyone use an AC adapter with these little single cell batteries. I have had mine on charge for over an hour and the green light never comes on. Can anyone help????
Thanks,Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 06:54 PM
Wheelnut

ORIGINAL: tremblay7

Has anyone use an AC adapter with these little single cell batteries. I have had mine on charge for over an hour and the green light never comes on. Can anyone help????
Thanks,Eric
I suggest that if you are going to be in this hobby for the long haul. Meaning, if this won't be your only plane, then get a decent charger. Lipo chargers can be had for pretty cheap these days.
I bought this one as a back up to my Team Check point TC1030. Considering the fact that my Team check point charger was $140, this one is very cheap and does almost as much.
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...lancer/Charger.
Old 05-12-2009, 07:56 PM
tremblay7

Thanks but I have a good charger. i have an onyx 230 w/ an equinox balancer. The issue is that these single cell batteries only have 1 connector (the same little black one that is on the NIhm batteries) and they are not compatible with the bigger chargers.
Thanks,Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 08:52 PM
Wheelnut

Yes they are, you just don't realize it yet.

Cut off the connector (about 3"s back) from the ac adaptor that came with the plane. Strip the two wires back enough for you to connect the alagator clips that came with your Onyx. If you don't have alagator clips for your charger leads, I suggest you make some. I have been doing this for all types of batteries I charge.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:05 PM
tremblay7

Had not thought about that. Thanks alot.
Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 PM
tremblay7

ORIGINAL: Wheelnut

Yes they are, you just don't realize it yet.

Cut off the connector (about 3"s back) from the ac adaptor that came with the plane. Strip the two wires back enough for you to connect the alagator clips that came with your Onyx. If you don't have alagator clips for your charger leads, I suggest you make some. I have been doing this for all types of batteries I charge.
Just had 1 more question. Do i not use the equinox balancer???? Is it ok to charge a lipo w/o the balancer as I have never done this before. Just want to make sure that i do not bolw my house up.
Thanks,Eric
Old 05-12-2009, 09:58 PM
Wheelnut

You don't need a balancer with one cell. There is nothing to balance
That is how I do it with my Team Check Point and I have never had any problems. Just be careful not to set the charge rate too high.
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 PM
drypipe

Wheelnut,

I am just getting off the subject here, I was searching an old thread on a Kyosho "Sunstorm 600" boat and cane across an old thread you wrote. Where did you purchase the Sunstorm 600 for $50.00 on the web?

Thanks,

pLAnE Nuts,

Drypipe
Old 05-13-2009, 09:49 PM
FERNDALE AIR FORCE

I wonder about 3s batteries and brushless in this plane. But Kudos to Phase 3 for making a micro.

Tim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.