Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic
Reload this Page >

The new H9 Sukhoi gets a BME!

Community
Search
Notices
Giant Scale Aircraft - 3D & Aerobatic Discuss all your 3D & Aerobatic giant scale airplanes right here!

The new H9 Sukhoi gets a BME!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 06:01 PM
FlyerRick

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The new H9 Sukhoi gets a BME!

Well after a lot of research, finding the right engine, waiting for the engine’s delivery…I’m finally ready to start my Sukhoi’s BME retrofit!

About 3 months ago I made the decision to save my Sukhoi from a slow death caused by engine vibration and dump my DA-85 for a more powerful and much smoother running BME-102. The extensive research I did found the BME-102 to be the perfect candidate for my plane’s salvation. It is a very powerful engine in a nice neat compact package that weighs in at a scant 3.75oz’s more than the DA-85 (mostly because of it’s twin mufflers) but packs a slightly better punch than the DA-100!

As you can see the entire engine fits great under the stock cowl and has been a simple straight forward and easy retrofit project! And as you can see from my "thumbnails" below, the engine will accomodate any prop selection that I choose to run!

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh16435.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	1195769   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez82859.jpg
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	1195770   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uz68532.jpg
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1195771   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp44308.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	1195772   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm37639.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	1195773   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75670.jpg
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	1195774  
Old 05-10-2009, 06:46 PM
altavillan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: The new H9 Sukhoi gets a BME!

That will be near perfect. With perfect "adding cannisters". A fellow club member has one of them Sukhois and I agree it is a very nice flying plane. His is definately under powered with the 85 but his engine runs smooth. It just runs like s#$t in the air.

And put some shoes on ya #$%^ hippy LOL.
Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 PM
bjor

I have a good mate with a DA100 in his. The DA's must be longer in the head as his did not fit into the cowl without chopping the sides out for the plugs and CDI leads. Nice installation too. Can I ask, whats the firewall and box covered in?

edited for spelling.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:24 PM
FlyerRick

Your right altavillan (LOL)...spent so much on the plane...maybe next week I'll have a nuf fer some converse???
Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 AM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: bjor

I have a good mate with a DA100 in his. The DA's must be longer in the head as his did not fit into the cowl without chopping the sides out for the plugs and CDI leads. Nice installation too. Can I ask, whats the firewall and box covered in?

edited for spelling.
I had a BME in my H9 Suki a while back. It fit in the cowl except for a tiny opening on the left side. It actually fit all in but the left cap was touching the inside of the cowl and I didn't want it to crack it. None of his pictures show the left side very well. I have a DA100 in it now and had to cut holes in both sides for the caps. I think the DA has a slight edge in power though.
Old 05-13-2009, 02:36 AM
yarom
My Feedback: (82)

I agree. I have fitted my sukhoi with a BME 102 as well.

The retrofit was very easy and required only a small hole in the left cowl. Engine length is identical.

A couple observations:

The BME does not shake less than the DA-85. Having the same issues with the plane coming apart and using some diagonal vibration dampeners in the fuse.

The BME is not more powerful than the DA-85. Actually, the DA is slightly more powerful.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:40 PM
mikec3d

We have 2, (shortly 4) 85's here and 1 is on a greves pipe 35% 260 and the other is in the suk with an MTW 110 can, they both run absolutely beautiful. A big single is always gonna shake a bit more, but as long as the prop is balanced correctly and the engine is tuned correctly, it is a beast.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:57 AM
FlyerRick

No disrespect intended Yarom but our club here has over 300 active members with 13 BME Twin's flying...8 including mine are retrofits and from the 8, 7 are from DA-85. All the reasons for the retros are the same...vibration and power. I don't know where your getting your info but the BME Twin 102 develops more raw power than the DA-85 and the DA-100 with less weight and a smaller total package. My figures come from ACTUAL flying airplanes and from our own club members...planes that you can walk up to, see, touch and watchfly!!! I love the DA myself and have 2 on other aircraft but the facts are what they are...the BME in some cases is just a better choice!!!
Old 05-14-2009, 12:34 PM
yarom

My observations are based on my experience.

Me and my friends have 3 Sukhois with DA-85s, some with a 27x10 prop and some with 25x12 Air Model props.

I also have a Hangar 9 Extra 260 with a DA-100L on cans and an Aeroworks Extra 260 on DA-100 with regular mufflers.

I am not sure if your comments relate to the BME 102, but if they do, my experience shows the engine is not as powerful as the DA-85, DA-100 and certainly the DA-100L, which is the most powerful engine I have seen in that bracket so far. The DA-100L is providing me more power than the DA-100 on 28x10 or 26x12 three-blade. Both DAs are mounted on 35% planes ( 26 to 27lbs.) and I doubt very much the BME 102 can provide this amount of power on 26x10, which is why I mounted it on a light 33% plane (22lbs.).

Based on the manufacturer recommendations, I am running the BME with a 26x10 prop, which seems to be the right one in terms of getting a proper power curve. The same 26x10 is the break-in prop for the DA-85 which will develop it's full power on a good 27x10 or 25x12 three-blade, if you want to reduce the rip noise.

So far, my side by side flying comparison between the BME and the DA-85 shows a clear advantage to the 85 on MTW can, regardless of the minor weight penalty for the BME with regular mufflers.

The story is likely very different with the larger BMEs, such as the 115 or 116, which I understand develop a lot more power for the same weight.
Old 05-14-2009, 11:53 PM
Turbobruce
My Feedback: (3)

The BME 102 is not as powerfull as the DA 100. The BME is a great motor but does not put up the same numbers as the DA. I have had both motors and know from experience.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:25 PM
Robotech
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Turbobruce

The BME 102 is not as powerfull as the DA 100. The BME is a great motor but does not put up the same numbers as the DA. I have had both motors and know from experience.
Ditto that. Mine were both using the same airframe. Loved the BME but the DA100 is stronger.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:33 PM
FlyerRick

Look guys I totally appreciate and respect your views and comments here...and I didn't start this thread to turn it into a pizzin match. The DA is truly a great motor, I own a 150 and a new 170. I started my gas adventure with a Dietrich 50cc with a DA-50R and loved it. All I know is what my fellow club members including myself are experiencing and doing and no matter how you stack it, start it, or put it together, if your having fun and learning in the process then life is good and your flying large!
Old 07-15-2009, 11:22 PM
erwin peters

Hi bme 102 owners, I have being running my bme 102 engine these two pass months. I have baffled the carb. Using 26-10 wood Xoar and getting about 6100rpm (sea level with 85 oct gas). The engine is about 10-15 gallons old. I allready changed the inside carb filter.

The engine has being running ok except that every time I just inverted the plane it made “one cough" or quick intermittence, but just for one second and then it keeps run good in inverted flight. The engine is ok for hovering, or climbing, is just when I inverted the plane. I had The needless: Low 3/4 open and the High 1 1/4 Open.

I talked to Tom at BME and he suggested than the needless were to lean and to recalibrated them again but no to go further in for L 1 1/4 and the High 1 1/2. I calibrated the engine this Saturday ending with : L 1 1/16, and H 1 1/2. the engine improved, the inverted plane engine intermittence cough lower.

Generally the engine runs ok but something that I keep having is that when flying, the low idle is ok but when I am flying slowly about 20-30% of throttle the engine burble.

What are your experience and what is your usually setting for the needless ?? are you at sea level?
When the plane is climbing and the engine makes one intermittence what this mean , what needle should I moved, in or out?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions and tips.

Regards

Erwin Peters
Old 07-16-2009, 08:15 AM
altavillan

It means a couple things. Your engine runs well with a wide envelope for carb settings, and thats a good thing. The burbling/ hesitation indicates a diaphram/ metering fork heighth/ fuel pump problem. The cures are, external pulse line or shortened, improved internal pulse passage. Replacing the diaphram with a fresh one. Adjusting the fork heighth. All the cures affect how the metering needle functions. Right now yours is either too sensitive or more likely not sensitive enough. Causing the engine to starve for fuel as in cowl pressures change.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:44 PM
erwin peters

Thanks Altavillan, since I stop usin the engine for 4 years you have a good observation about the diaphram.
Help me identify my engine. This is the story; I got a a 102 bme back in 2000, and I over heated the engine because no front baffling , so I was disapointment until 2.003 that I sent back the engine too keiht at bme for repair and he offer me for $ xxx to send me I new engine , and that is the 105 I have ( since it has the top sealing saying 105) but I am not sure if it is a105.
My question...this is actually a 105 or is a 102with "105 seals on top" .?? I just want to know what my engine is. that all. inn order to use adecuate prop and rpm

regars

erwin
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu61393.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	1237929   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22872.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1237930   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17916.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	1237931   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58867.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1237932  
Old 07-17-2009, 08:32 AM
altavillan

RTK will find this thread and give you the answer you need. Keith did make a 105 before he did his own cylinders. I'd guess Keith sold you the engine with the updated crank with origional heads. That gives the 105cc specs. I also think the engine you have can accept the new heads and pistons to make it a 110cc should some harm come to your engine.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:45 AM
yarom

I am facing similar issues.

I did send the engine to BME for a checkup and also had them install a 6 bolt prop hub, like on the DA and 3W.

I also replaced the CH ignition with a new RCXL one and changed the plugs to CM-6. I get now a very relaible spark and the engine starts easy.

To resolve the inconsistent RPM in flying, I added a carb plate and it has resolved most of the issues - not the burbling at 1/3 throttle.

For someone used to DAs, this has been a learning. The power band seems to be quite flat (compared to a DA) and the engine develops power around 2/3 throttle mostly. I have played with the needles for a long time and it seems to be fairly stable right now, although it runs fairly hot (compared to a DA).

Power is a bit of a diappointment, as I can get at most 6K on a 26x10. A DA-100 will provide reliably 6.3K on a 28x10 and the DA-85 will provide 6.4K on a 27x10 (all Mejzlik) with a lot of vibration.

ORIGINAL: erwin peters

Hi bme 102 owners, I have being running my bme 102 engine these two pass months. I have baffled the carb. Using 26-10 wood Xoar and getting about 6100rpm (sea level with 85 oct gas). The engine is about 10-15 gallons old. I allready changed the inside carb filter.

The engine has being running ok except that every time I just inverted the plane it made “one cough'' or quick intermittence, but just for one second and then it keeps run good in inverted flight. The engine is ok for hovering, or climbing, is just when I inverted the plane. I had The needless: Low 3/4 open and the High 1 1/4 Open.

I talked to Tom at BME and he suggested than the needless were to lean and to recalibrated them again but no to go further in for L 1 1/4 and the High 1 1/2. I calibrated the engine this Saturday ending with : L 1 1/16, and H 1 1/2. the engine improved, the inverted plane engine intermittence cough lower.

Generally the engine runs ok but something that I keep having is that when flying, the low idle is ok but when I am flying slowly about 20-30% of throttle the engine burble.

What are your experience and what is your usually setting for the needless ?? are you at sea level?
When the plane is climbing and the engine makes one intermittence what this mean , what needle should I moved, in or out?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions and tips.

Regards

Erwin Peters
Old 07-17-2009, 03:34 PM
erwin peters

Yarom, what calibrations you have in your needles, are you at sea level

regards
Erwin
Old 08-02-2009, 04:08 PM
az3d
My Feedback: (59)

I have a BME 110 extreme in mine. I did not have to cut the cowl to get it to fit. i did add baffeling to direct the air to keep it cool. It weighs in at 21.6 lbs. I love it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-02-2009, 10:17 PM
erwin peters

Actually my problem with the bme engine was concern with a bad cell in a new 4.8 battery, after I replace it; the engine is fine giving with a 26-10 wood xoar 6.500 rpm.
Has anyone fit the BME 102 in an AW 75 cc extra 260??

Regards

Erwin