Community
Search
Notices
Traxxas Monster Truck forum Discuss the Traxxas T-Maxx, E-Maxx, Super-Maxx and all other Traxxas monster trucks in this forum. You may also optionally discuss them in our MT general discussion forum.
View Poll Results: A poll
yes
47.37%
going down hill
50.00%
dead
2.63%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

is this hobby dying or is it just me

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:45 PM
revo30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is this hobby dying or is it just me

same old mods same old cars. no new mods that i can do to my revo seems like this hobbys dead is it?
Old 05-14-2009, 09:02 PM
freez

Default RE: is this hobby dying or is it just me

I wouldnt say its dead , I think it may be more the economy , it has hit everyone hard . People are just a little more frugal when it comes to spending
Old 05-14-2009, 09:24 PM
fabrimacator21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: revo30

same old mods same old cars. no new mods that i can do to my revo seems like this hobbys dead is it?
You get to a certain point to where you can't mod much more.... theres always engine modding which is a never ending project. Or you could start to design your own setups/parts.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:27 PM
absolutemayhem

time to buy a new truck.. or try brushless...
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM
black mamba

None of the available choices is correct. I'll add my own answer. The hobby is changing. We are seeing a shift from nitro towards electric (again) and in some categories, we're seeing lower end/lower priced kits displacing higher end/higher priced kits. The hobby has to change and evolve to stay alive, so what we see happening is good. I myself am one of the people that left nitro to get back into electric and do not regret it.....brushless and lipo is superior to nitro.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:39 PM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: black mamba

None of the available choices is correct. I'll add my own answer. The hobby is changing. We are seeing a shift from nitro towards electric (again) and in some categories, we're seeing lower end/lower priced kits displacing higher end/higher priced kits. The hobby has to change and evolve to stay alive, so what we see happening is good. I myself am one of the people that left nitro to get back into electric and do not regret it.....brushless and lipo is superior to nitro.
If you like watching the super bowl on mute and waiting for batteries to charge.[sm=biggrin.gif][:-]
Old 05-14-2009, 09:47 PM
absolutemayhem

I have to agree with you fab... i have a wicked FLM pede with a emaxx size brushless motor along with a $180 lipo...its fast....but its to boring just to plug and go....i enjoy tunning and tweeking..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:04 PM
ridikt

if the revo is your only "toy" or even just traxxas at that, try another brand. tons of good vehicles out there. and every brand is different.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:17 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

ORIGINAL: absolutemayhem

I have to agree with you fab... i have a wicked FLM pede with a emaxx size brushless motor along with a $180 lipo...its fast....but its to boring just to plug and go....i enjoy tunning and tweeking..
I agree too. . . I still love the smell of burnt Nitro Fuel in the morning after a cup of Joe. Electric is just too simple for me. I like the tunning and tweaking also. Nitro for me all the way. I don't think the R/C industry is dieing. Most of us are just looking for the best possible deals before we commit to buy. With the World Wide Web it's easier then ever to get great, cheap deals on just about anything R/C. I know I sure support my Local Hobby Dealers!!
Old 05-15-2009, 05:42 AM
gmcman

I agree on the economy being the culprit....but if you think this hobby is dying, get a heli [8D] will keep you busy for a long time.
Old 05-15-2009, 04:40 PM
DaveG55

ORIGINAL: black mamba

Not sure where you're getting your info but nitro is FAR, FAR from dying. Five out of the top 15 selling items, 1/3 of them, that Tower Hobbies sells are nitro vehicles. Only 3 are electric vehicles - well there is also an electric heli but since this is a car/truck forum it hardly counts in this discussion. If we ever completely lose nitro it will be decades in the future.
Glad you like your brushless and lipos (I like mine too) but your like of them does not doom nito to oblivion. To me, it's more a matter of mood and what I want to run at the time. I don't think I'll ever give up either electric or nitro.

Edit: To the OP,
NO, this hobby is not dying, it is definatly you. It's ludicrise to think that just because you've become bored with one vehicle the hobby is dying!!!!! You may be bored but I assure you that this hobby will be around for years and years. Heck, it's been around since the 1950's and has more participants now than ever before.
Old 05-15-2009, 05:43 PM
vatoed
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: ridikt

if the revo is your only "toy" or even just traxxas at that, try another brand. tons of good vehicles out there. and every brand is different.
I agree with ridikt. I got back into the hobby with a T-Maxx cause back when I was runnin I always wanted one. I was about to put the RC cars away again I decided to get a Losi LST XXL. Man I've been having a blast since and can't wait to get out of work to go bash that thing, It is something else. And I'm sure that a Savage or MGT 8.0 would be just as fun.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:31 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont think the hobby is dying. It may be slowing down or changing, but im sure it will never die. I have electrics and nitro's and cant say that i like one more than the other. Nitros are fun cause they are awseome and a blast to drive, plus tuning and tweaking is fun too. And electric is nice because you can just plug and go, and no fuel and no mess. Plus you can run mini electrics inside. So they both have pro's and con's. Its a matter of opinion. If your happy with what you have its all good! [sm=thumbs_up.gif]
Old 05-15-2009, 09:08 PM
usa98030

Its totally because of the economy, but for some people it hasn't hit hard! But i dont get how people get beat up by the economy, if they haven't got layed off? Maybe money is just not a problem for me[] Anyone wants some
Old 05-15-2009, 10:24 PM
trink2030

oh I don't know, my buddy just got in a month ago, me a week ago.  And by the amount of neighbors that came out during my break-in, I'd say there are a few on the way
Old 05-15-2009, 10:36 PM
Steve.

My LHS was busy tonight, I bought a car there last week and there were several cars and kits out of stock that were there last week. Helis are really gaining popularity here but cars and trucks are still big. A few shops have closed but the ones that remain have been there for years and have a loyal following.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 PM
Mr. Mugen

I wouldn't say it's dying....but I sure liked the old days better when a RTR was a thing of the future noone heard of yet.  I loved getting a new kit and spending days building it and tweaking to my likings...got a early lesson in painting too...  Hobby has gotten lazzier (sp) but not dying.

Kevin

Old 05-15-2009, 11:58 PM
scoobs92

i own a nitro and electric and normally id be running my tmaxx but with the cost of nitro and gas for my real car going up i had to stay using my electric i doubt ill even run my nitro this summer 27-30 is alot these days and i usually go through 2 a month and the store where i live is jacking everything up so even repairs are starting to hurt i had to start taking it easy just so i don't break so many parts ive seen 3 stores by me close due to the economy and one was a hobby town i love this hobby but there is more important things that come first
Old 05-16-2009, 01:00 AM
fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

I wouldn't say it's dying....but I sure liked the old days better when a RTR was a thing of the future noone heard of yet. I loved getting a new kit and spending days building it and tweaking to my likings...got a early lesson in painting too... Hobby has gotten lazzier (sp)but not dying.

Kevin

Ican guarentee this hobby wouldn't be as big as it is today if there weren't true rtr rc's. I remember when I'd go run my tmaxx and I'd have people stop, watch, and ask questions because they've never seen one. They justwalk by these days without a second look. Now everyone and their brother has one or has seen them. Theres even a tmaxx monster truck and a traxxas sponsered corr truck.

I agree that people should know more about their trucks and what piece does what and goes where but in reality it's good for the hobby. IMHO rc has gotten HUGE in the last 7 years. No where near dying.
Old 05-16-2009, 08:20 AM
yaleforscale
Banned

i think its much to do with the economy as some have said if your struggeling for cash the last thing your going to spend on is r/c .hobbys come bottom of the list when you have bills to pay and so it suffers , . but i do agree there is a big shift towards electric models at least in the U,K most guys i know have got ridd of nitro and opted for brushles power , as it is much cleaner and faster , and you have the advantage of being able to run them in your yard without anoying the neigbours , myself run both nitro and electric and i must say the plug and play is a lot less hassell thanks .
Old 05-16-2009, 11:00 AM
GreenRacer
My Feedback: (3)

Dying? Absolutely not. Not even close. Less noise by newcomers? Ohhh, You betcha.

With popular companies like traxxas (which pop out RTR's faster than a welfare family pops out kids) making BL setups, and with lipo becoming more well known and accepted, the prospect of cheap speed and low maintainence is very attractive to newer R/C'ers.
Old 05-16-2009, 11:22 AM
Mr. Mugen

ORIGINAL: fabrimacator21

ORIGINAL: Mr. Mugen

I wouldn't say it's dying....but I sure liked the old days better when a RTR was a thing of the future noone heard of yet. I loved getting a new kit and spending days building it and tweaking to my likings...got a early lesson in painting too... Hobby has gotten lazzier (sp)but not dying.

Kevin

Ican guarentee this hobby wouldn't be as big as it is today if there weren't true rtr rc's. I remember when I'd go run my tmaxx and I'd have people stop, watch, and ask questions because they've never seen one. They justwalk by these days without a second look. Now everyone and their brother has one or has seen them. Theres even a tmaxx monster truck and a traxxas sponsered corr truck.

I agree that people should know more about their trucks and what piece does what and goes where but in reality it's good for the hobby. IMHO rc has gotten HUGE in the last 7 years. No where near dying.

Your right. Turns out even the folks who have no idea what they are doing can get a hold of one of these and run it into some unsuspecting observer. Seen this happen too many times already. Just because you CAN jump off a brindge does not mean you should... I see RTR's as a cop out. No mechanical abilities needed. Our LHS if always full of clowns who bought a rtr and hit something with it....broke it and now need the LHS guy to fix it for them....these folks should stick with sewing and crochet. They remind me of the guy at the fishing hole who is always asking for someone to help tie his line or bait his hook...whats the point of fishing?

Kevin
Old 05-18-2009, 10:51 AM
motodude11
My Feedback: (1)

I agree with all the guys that are saying its evolving just look at some of the newer trucks we now have rock crawlers, trophy trucks, drifters, touring cars, truggys, buggys, MT's, mini's, gasers, electrics. There is literal something for everyone, but with the expansion of the hobby the companies arent going to pay as much attention to the less popular trucks until they come back into phase. The tmaxx 2.5 and 3.3 for example seemed to take the back burner so traxxas could develope the summit, the E-revo and the E-tmaxx. R&D goes into whats popular, its like anything else. Look at bell bottoms they die off for a while then every couple years it comes back so dont worry in a couple years the nitro's will be the popular thing again. Just my 2cents. [8D]
Old 05-18-2009, 11:42 AM
matts6887

ORIGINAL: freez

I wouldnt say its dead , I think it may be more the economy , it has hit everyone hard . People are just a little more frugal when it comes to spending
U are probaly right on this one freez; its most likely the "lovely" economy that has well for lack of better terms; "bitten us all hard right in the butt" so to speak. Hopefully though things will pick back up eventually once things start turning around a bit. I know I for one can attest to the economy as being part of a temporary(at least I hope) kinda "downfall" if u will; as I have definitely had less $ to put towards the hobby than I would otherwise like to be able to to have. The one thing that does seem kinda weird to me; is that when I talked to the manager of one of the lhs's that Ifrequent last week about the economy and how it has affected the r/c hobby in general; the thing that surprised me is that they really have not had a terrible downfall in business on the r/c side of things. He said their business when it comes to people buying new "toys" has actually not slowed down as much as they thought it otherwise might have. So at that point all I could think of is that well I guess even in a pretty lousy economy....when people want their hobbies......they WANT!!!....their hobbes.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:58 PM
larryf333
My Feedback: (2)

I think the hobby is nowhere near dying as well.  I'm into it big, my brother-in-law is into it big, my seven year old has his own Traxxas Bandit, my 1 1/2 year old loves to watch and my wife's taken some more interest in it.  I have nitro and electric, I love each for what they are capable of.  The nitro for tuning/tweaking and tearing up the neighborhood.  The electric for quick setup, quiet running and no mess.  The only thing I need now is a nice Gasoline powered truck and I'll be good for life.  I'd have the electric for the front yard, smaller areas and wherever there are old people around, the nitro for the whole yard and the rest of the neighborhood and the gasoline for big fields and dried up lake beds in the winter.  I can't wait till the economy picks back up and I can start getting overtime again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.