Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Deans or Traxxas Connectors

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 03:01 PM
arsenal_addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deans or Traxxas Connectors

Which type of connector should i use as it looks like the traxxas ones are more sturdy but most people seem to use deans
Old 05-17-2009, 03:04 PM
Chris_RC

Default RE: Deans or Traxxas Connectors

You found your answer....Deans are more popular. This helps out alot when you are with your friend and he needs a battery, or you need one from him, it makes it alot easier. Also, all racers use deans and a few direct solder.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:24 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I'll add that both are good connectors and performance wise there would be no difference.
Old 05-17-2009, 03:27 PM
arsenal_addict

I ask because I getting the 1/16 e revo and am not that confident with my soldering ability. can anything happen to the esc if i change the connector to deans and make a mistake?
Old 05-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

i use traxxas, its what i have.. i have traxxas on my charger, batts, escs..
Old 05-17-2009, 04:18 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

I have been using Dean's for going on 20 years now.  No reason to stop now.  They worked then and they work now. 

I would use either one that made the most sense.  My stuff is all Deans so it doesn't make sense for me to go Traxxas.
Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

traxxas plugs are easier to take apart also
Old 05-17-2009, 06:46 PM
dezfan

Deans, hands down.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Access

ORIGINAL: arsenal_addict
Which type of connector should i use as it looks like the traxxas ones are more sturdy but most people seem to use deans
Look at some of the former threads on this topic, the best argument is basically deans b'cos they can be truly universal throughout the hobby, from planes, helis, crawlers, minis, they are used for basically anything RC. Traxxas never goes onto planes / helis, it can have problems with smaller vehicles due to size, etc. Technically there is not much different either way, but deans have been the de-facto standard for so long that there's really no motivation to switch for all those people already out there.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:14 PM
IloveMYxt2

Go Deans. The Traxxas plugs are actually harder to take apart. For me they are atleast.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
SlashBasher
My Feedback: (8)

Another vote for dean here. I have been using them and they are great and as other have said univeral through out the hobby. But either wy you go you will be fine becuase they are both high current connectors.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
warheadforever

TRX connectors, in my opinion are better, for only one reason, they are WAY easier to solider.

Also, Mods please lock this, it has been done at least 2 other times that I can think of.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:36 PM
Chris_RC

If you think Deans are hard to solder or are hard to take aprt (caused by bad soldering) truely evaluate your soldering skills. Do you have a $6 Hobbico iron, or a Hakko 936 soldering station? if it takes more than a coule seconds to solder everything on (once everythign is tinned) then you are doing something wrong.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:39 AM
MTboy

I have always used deans and now after doing it for awhile it's not hard to solder.  I will say my first time did not work out ..lol
Old 05-18-2009, 08:50 AM
Jeremy Z

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use Deans too, but it is because it was the best option at the time.

Another one to consider is Andersen PowerPoles. They don't require soldering and are a LOT more flexible, but you need a special crimper. They're apparently not as popular here as in the airplane world.

One neat thing about Traxxas is that more and more battery packs are being made available with them, and also support equipment. Traxxas connectors (Andersen too) also have a place to grip them, where Deans don't. Deans is not famous for good customer service.

But they are the most popular. They were the first really good RC connector out there, and they're nice & compact.

Old 05-18-2009, 11:59 AM
04DarkShadowGT

Use whatever you have the most of.     I prefer the traxxas ones simply because they are easier to solder and easier to pull apart.  But I wouldnt spend a dime changing my fleet if they were all deans.  

Both work fine and both are equal performance wise.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:03 PM
ob1n
My Feedback: (14)

Just made these comments in another forum when I spotted this......  Here's my advice......

Just my 2 cents.......in my personal opinion(though they are a good eletrical connector), Deans are not a good choice....particularly for beginners. Duratrax "Power Pole" connectors are so much easier to solder to because 1)you don't have to pay attention to polarity. 2)You don't have to make sure all the batts are female....chargers/models are male. 3)You won't melt anything plastic because you slip on the plastic covers AFTER the connections have cooled. 4)No need for heat shrink. 5)Technically, they are plated with silver.....which is the 2nd most conductive element feasibly available and HIGHLY corrosion resistant. 6) They are even color coded red or black(of course, the user needs to put the covers on properly) in case you use you batteries for some other application. However, I have used Deans.....and would use them over stock connections.....but, don't see why they are touted as the "best". Clearly, they are more complicated/confusing for newbies, require more work, more expensive, and technically inferior as far as current flow is concerned. Not trying to bash deans....just merely stating the facts.

ob1n

They(Deans) are gold "plated".....the most conductive metal.....very good....I doubt that gold is very high quality. Also, gold is not as resistant to corrosion as silver....not to mention, it doesn't beat silver in conductivity by much. By the time deans are 6 months old, they are more resistant than the power poles after a lifetime of service. I've got powerpoles that are over 20 years old.....I just keep reusing them over and over. As far as getting them hooked up the wrong way....as long as you place the red plastic cover over the red/positive wire....and the same with the black/negative.....it is IMPOSSIBLE to get them wrong. And if a newbie solders the wires backwards to an electric motor, for example, it's easy to just switch the wires/covers around. Rather than resolder joints. Power poles are also "self cleaning" joints and will never become worn/loose like I seen some deans connectors do. I am just saying.....the benefits of the Power Poles outweigh the deans in everything(especially if you're a newbie to soldering) unless the deans are brand new....when the gold is at it's best. And even then, the benefits aren't astronomical. I can solder a set of Power Poles on a new batt in less than 2 minutes with a preheated soldering iron. It would take me more time than that to solder, heat shrink, and pay close attention to the polarity and orientation of the deans plugs. I've run my power poles in snow/water/wind/rain/sand/dust etc.....and my friends are cleaning up their deans after neglecting them from getting them wet/dirty. It just seems logical to go with something that gives you the most benefits.

Laters

Ob1n

These are some comments I made on another forum before debating the Powerpoles vs Deans.  I think you've made a good decision with Powerpoles.  The 30 amps are the most popular but will mate with 15 and 40 amp Powerpoles as they use the same plastic covers.  Personally, I like to solder......and I've soldered both the 30 and 45 amp versions.  I would say the 45 amp versions are the easiest because they have a c-cup the that wire lays into whereas the 30 amp version encapsulates the wire....so it's a little more tedious to get the solder to flow into the joint. 

A few more things about the Powerpoles I'd like to point out.....they are extremely versatile and easy when it comes to powering packs/ESCs/Motors/etc in series/parallel.  You just seperate the black connector from the red(side-by-side configuration) and plug in as needed. No need to make a special jumper wire connector to allow you to make series/parallel connections. 

The ONLY disadvantage I can think of about the Powerpoles is that the plastic covers do NOT like Motor Spray/Brake Cleaner.  If you spray this on the plastic, do NOT touch/bump them for at least 1 minute!  They are very fragile and brittle right after they been sprayed with this stuff.  Whenever I want to clean the connectors(hardly ever need to), I use AMSOIL metal protector/WD40.  

Hope this info helps you out.

Laters,

Ob1n

Old 05-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Access

30A or 45A is not enough, deans or traxxas connectors are good for 100A or more. 
Old 05-18-2009, 03:49 PM
NitroCable

There was a time when I liked Dean's better than Traxxas HCC but after using both for a while I actually come to like the Traxxas HCC better. Not because Dean's are no good performance wise I think they both perform just as good.

It's just that I found Dean's more of a hassle to reuse, because of the shrink wrap you had to have to put on every time you reused them. With the Traxxas HCC you don't need shrink wrap to protect the exposed wires, you just solder 'em up and then snap 'em back in the plastic housing and away you go.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:57 PM
usa98030

Just choose what you prefer the most and experiment. They both provide the same perfomance just what you like hooking up the most.
Old 05-18-2009, 08:28 PM
dacaur

I ask because I getting the 1/16 e revo and am not that confident with my soldering ability. can anything happen to the esc if i change the connector to deans and make a mistake?
TRX are easier to solder. No shrink wrap to worry about (i have forgotten the shrink wrap countless times doing deans) and if you are not an expert solderer, you wontmelt the connector andmake itdifficult to get apart like you will with deans.

I like how TRX are easier to get apart, and when you count the shrink wrap with the connector, they aren't much if any bigger than deans connectors.

Iused to use deans in all my planes, but have since changed to traxxas in my planes, and my mini's too.... Anyone that says TRX are too big hasent used them. I can tell you that IHAVE broken stuff trying to get deans apart when they come apart suddenly. No I'm not an expert solderer, and no Idont have a $100 soldering station, and I dont believe you should have to be an expert or spend $100 on a soldering station to enjoy RC....
Old 05-18-2009, 08:31 PM
Willystylz

LOL and i thought all along one needed to be a professional solderer and have super-duper-Hakko equipment certified by NASA

Old 05-18-2009, 09:33 PM
Frankfka

they are both sturdy,but Ive seen deans on lipos more than traxxas.....so I dunno its your choice
Old 05-18-2009, 10:28 PM
MonkeyFist

I just started to use the Losi EC3 connectors.  Super easy to solder and they snap together no need for heat shrink.
Old 05-19-2009, 12:47 AM
Dialed_In

ORIGINAL: Access

30A or 45A is not enough, deans or traxxas connectors are good for 100A or more.
This is regarding the Anderson PowerPoles.
An Anderson engineer told me that 30-amp connectors would not fail in sustained use until over 200 amps
Taken from here: http://www.flyrc.com/articles/using_powerpole_1.shtml Look at the bottom for the section labeled "Understanding Amp Ratings".

I went with PowerPoles on my first RC and used the cheap crimper from powerwerx.com without soldering. I had one heck of a time crimping and assembling the PowerPoles as they have to be perfect when inserting them in the plastic connector. Ido like how easy it is to disconnect them and haven't had a problem so far. I guess I will find out later when I get a vxl system and a couple 2S lipos for the Slash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.