Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > RC Helicopter Beginners Forum
Reload this Page >

Heli stuff and fellowship

Notices
RC Helicopter Beginners Forum If you are a beginner or "newbie" to RC heli's feel free to post your questions right here in the rc heli beginner forum.

Heli stuff and fellowship

Old 05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Heli stuff and fellowship

Thanks Mike. I found the the pinions. The only ones to have it in stock was Venom themselves. The pinion is a 10T .4mod 2.3mm. Pinions such as for the Trex450 as an example are .5mod spacing. For those who may concider a Guai 200V2, the heli can use 2 cell 7.4 or 3 cell batteries. The stock motor plus 15T pinion and 2 cell gives a really good sportmils 3D set up. To have plenty of bale out power and blistering you need to step up to 10T pinion on 3 cells. I chose to go with 3 cell set up. It is interesting to note that the stock Gaui motor is hands down better than scorpion and other brands according to our factory pro here. There is a 5150KV motor that is supose to be good with the 2 cells.

Jim
Old 05-07-2009, 07:49 AM
dooleyje

LOL I bet Donica's family can put on the party also. Macon Ga. Wow home girl is going to be close. Only a few hours. Jay if you can get under this TCA here both of you can come fly with me. That will only cost a few bucks in fuel. Lets see, Neb to NC, ummmm, yep only about 10 grand in fuel.

Dang it my tractor is down again and I have to mow this field. A belt I replaced last year and as you know it just happens to be the one you can't get to. Today is great so far though. We hve had a lot of storms and rain so no flying for me this week. I may go later today after I fix the yard eq. I want to trim the Gaui. My nitro is still broken. This month is slow when it gets to receiving payment from the corprations because of tax time so daddys pesos are low for now and I have to hold off spending. I think I have enough helis for now. Ha!

Is anyone going to the Joe Nalle fly-in in SC?. I go every year. Let me know and we can meet up. It promises to be a lot of helis this years as they have opened up a heli flight line.

Jim
Old 05-07-2009, 10:41 AM
matty_p80

Jules and i stayed in Macon when we did our road trip up to NC a couple of years ago! very attractive place with quite a bit of interesting history! unfortunately the main museum was under refurbishment when we were there but we did have a good walk round, very interesting architecture aswell!

still no news from the Police so i'm just carrying on as "no news is good news!"

good to hear everyone is fine, my brother is visiting at the moment so it's pretty good timing to have some family support!

everyone enjoy the good weather

Matty )<>}}}}}]@>
Old 05-08-2009, 06:45 AM
rcmiket

Already getting to 100 degrees here man its going to be a rough summer. Winds are finally getting to the point where we can fly but now the heat will toast what left of my brain. Thought I'd share a few pictures of a on going project. A 1/4 scale N-28 I've been working on for years. Hope you all don't look down on me for flying planks also. Might as well build with the AC on and a cold one by my side. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96520.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1194393   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31310.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1194394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24173.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1194395  
Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 PM
flyachopper1

Hello winged and rotored wonders,
WHATTT!!!! Look down on someone because they love flying machines of all types. Oh No, that is not going to happen with me and I am sure the other members feel the same. Planks have been a big part of my flying hobby and I can assure you that JD has some real nice planes too. Flying is flying and we here all appreciate and admire fine machinery of all kinds. Hey, we even tout about our cars, motorcycles and other examples on here. Love your quarter scale bi-plane Mike. Looks like you have put in the work and I can see a lot of attention to detail in the construction. I would love to see that bird fly.

Another windy day here so I won't be flying any little helis. However, I will be taking the black beauty up for a romp this afternoon. It has been through it's scheduled service and I will be doing a checkout of things today. I am going to take advantage of the flight and find a nice secluded place for a picnic lunch somewhere out in the canyons south of here. I need part of a day to be lonely and unwind after all the recent events. I know of a spot with a nice pond that has a fat bass in it waiting for me to offer it a fine fat worm. I will be hopping up and down the rivers here starting Monday to map and log the usual spring changes in them. They move around quite a bit out here in the flatlands and the state keeps the ranchers updated on the conditions on and next to their grazing lands. Easy work and good money. The first week of June I will be flitting around for the railroad again. They have a massive amount of work going on their mainlines across Nebraska and Wyoming and the suits and ties like to see it all from the air. Again, easy work and good money.

Have amassed a pile of "stuff" for the Harley. Got the saddle bags, toolbag & fork bag yesterday. A sissybar/backrest today and the new "two up" seat should be here soon. I'll have her all set up to be comfy for two people real soon. Rode the heck out of it yesterday and had a lot of fun. There are a lot of motorcyclists here and I have been spending a lot of time proudly showing them all the shiny bits on that scoot.

Gotta head for the hangar. Have the best of days me friends.
Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
rcmiket

Thanks I'm into it all from Hummingbirds to the Space Shuttle. If it flies or even looks like it can I'm on it. I'm into EDF's also. My next project is a A-10 in the 70 inch range. I've been wanting one for some time and found some plans that will work. I've got a friend who does CAD stuff and is doing the mods to get it a bit more scale. Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66045.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1194605  
Old 05-08-2009, 05:45 PM
dooleyje

Mike, nice project. Is that a Balsa USA kit? I have built the Camel and for a long time wanted a DVII, WW1 birds are all my favorite. I flew giant scale airplns for a while and competed in IMAC using an EXTRA300L and a 40% 260. I love airplanes and have been flying them for over 43 years. I only have 3 airplanes flyable now. I do have a bunch at my sons house and in storage. I even have a flying witch someplace and a flying lawn mower. As I said when I started this thread we talk about anything. Moat everyone here has planks. The A10 was a bird I worked on in the Airforce, rather the AGM65's. That will be a nice flying airplane. I saw a turbine one at the Joe Nalle fly-in last year. If you can make it next Thurs-Sat. let me know. I plan to be there.

Hang in there Matty.

Jay, don't buy up all the shiny go fasters for the putter. Did Donica get to Ga. yet?

I flew all day yesterday, well after I got the tractor fixed that is. I flew till dark. Nice day in the mid 70's light winds.

Jim
Old 05-08-2009, 06:01 PM
rcmiket

Its a Proctor Kit. Picked it up off a guy who took one look at it gave up before he even started and gave me a great deal. My first WW I was a 1/4 SE5A I really miss that one. Might have to do another down the road. I'm stuck here this month. Never been to that fly in heard its one of the best. Maybe next year. One of the guys just called and wants to try some night flying....... this ought to be good. I've been wanting to do the A-10 for some time now and I'm finally getting the chance. I just hope I can do it justice. Mike
Old 05-09-2009, 12:02 AM
flyachopper1

Hey gyro jockies,
Well, the black beauty was her wonderful self today. As always Ames and his crew had her up to snuff and ready to zoom. Took her out south about thirty miles and landed on a nice flat spot next to a big stand of trees and that pond I mentioned. loafed around next to the pond and had a light lunch. Drowned about six worms trying to coax up a fat bass. Caught several small ones but no trophies. Oh well, just being out there alone and peaceful was all that mattered. I think I am recharged now and ready to get back to a normal scheme.

It was quite windy all day here so I didn't try to fly any of the small birds. I sat and stared at the A Star parts some and fiddled with the T Rex frame I am trying to fit it to. I have really slowed down on that project but will get it done. I have been thinking that I am accumulating too many helis again and may be culling the herd some soon. The old wrecked 'mutant' is still piled in a box. The T Rex 500 has been ignored lately. The completed helis have been getting all the flying time. I need to do a complete go over of the T Rex 450 SE V2. It has a lot of flyig time on it and I am sure something needs attention. Donicas Copter X is still like new. I was looking around the workroom today thinking it needs a thorough cleaning. It is messier than I usually let it get. I love it. always something to do in there.

Me Cajun beauty rolled out of El Paso this morning heading for Macon. She is going to take her time as she has plenty of that for the trip this time. Spoke with her on the phone about two hours ago and she is feeling good. She says "hay theah" to you all. She told me that she forgot to pack her battery charger and that she called the hotel about it. They are going to send it to her hotel in Macon for her. She said she just plain forgot that it was on a shelf in the kitchenette area of her hotel room and thought of it after she was on the road. It will be going by UPS so it should get there about as fast as she does.

JD,
I think I have everything for the Harley now. I am waiting for the new seat t arrive and that's the last part I need. I will spend a day after it arrives getting all the stuff installed. It rides nice now but that seat is honestly quite uncomfortable for two people. Kind of crowds things and there is no backrest for the passenger. I think it will be much better now and still look good. I plan to take it out for some scooting tomorrow.

Matty me bucko,
How you doing matey? I hope you are doing OK. I kind of miss your sharp wit around here. Kind of wish I could get together with you, get stinking drunk and unload some stress. You know about that old therapy system. Tip some ales with a pal and do some yelling and whooping. That always vents some nerves.

Time to sleep me friends.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 PM
one thumb

Hi all,
Please‘splain to me what needs to change in the settings/adjustments of my 450 Shark.

The rotors are 0 degrees at rest.

Motor off, all sticks seem to be articulating Swash Plate and rear rotor the way they should, but only one blade changes pitch with throttle movement.

When I power up the Heli, (move “B†switch away from me with the “A†switch away), it starts at about 400 or so RPM and will increase to several thousand RPM but makes no attempt to lift.
If I flip “A†switch towards me, the motor turns on to full RPM. I am real fast on the “B†switch to pull it towards me to shut off the motor.

Here are the settings on the TX:
I’m using the terms/spelling in the program that I downloaded

End Point = 100% all channels.
Revsev = No boxes checked.
Sub Trim = all 0
DR = All 0
Stick Model 4
Type = Heli 120
Thro Curv = 0,25,50,100, (norm and ID same).
Pitch Curv = -3,-1,5,7,10, (norm and ID same).
Swash AFR = all 0%
Mix = Mix1, C3. Ch3, 2% and 50%
Switch “A & B†= Null

My suspicion is that I have a inexpensive TX that is being difficult to set.
I have not been working for over a year, (except for ~ 7 hours on a house stand by generator), so $ are tight.
When you increase Throttle speed I’m guessing that the transmitter is supposed to change the Blade pitch so the bird will lift off, yes?

All help is appreciated
One thumb
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM
marg2

OUCH !!!!!!! was hard to see my plane get a burst of wind at my approach and nose dive on me, came home with lost of balsa, planes hate wind.
[:@]Hey guys getting back on helis they love wind.
Mar
Old 05-10-2009, 10:24 PM
dooleyje

The numbers you quoted should make the heli leave the ground. If you have 0 Pitch at rest then the pitch curve you gave us can not be true and I suspect not actually measured with a pitch gauge. When you give throttle the pitch, actually all the servos should move the swash up wards. The blades should turn CLOCKWISE and tail rotor toward the back. If not then the motor is turning the head the wrong way. You could also have your blades on backward, happens all the time. Your pinion on the motor could be slipping. Another thing to check is the ESC peogramming. most need to know what is full throttle and what is NO throttle. Sounds like your curve is not correct in normal mode. It should not take off 400 rpm without input from you. Down side is that you have a transmitter that we do not know. Sorry. As the head is at rest if you do not hold one blade some times the loosest will move and the other not. Hold one and then the other to make sure one is not binding

Let us know. If you can post picture we may get an idea what the trouble is.

Marg: oooooooooppppppsssss. yep planks do not like the wind. Helis do.

Jim
Old 05-14-2009, 04:12 PM
dooleyje

The Gaui is almost completed. Everything is mounted and C/G is correct and the links are perfect. Wow this little heli has a 26 degree cyclic/pitch range -13 +13. I went with a reasonable +/-11. I have my last show for the evening in a few minutes so I have to scoot. I am off to the Joe Nalle Fly-In for the rest of the week.

See You,

Jim
Old 05-16-2009, 02:00 PM
cajungirl

Hay helloooo theah,Whew, been a busy week. I've been leading a small group of nursie newbies around and also got involved in helping to remodel the childrens ward. The hospital in Macon is kinda old and in need of a lot of work. I spent my evenings after work hammerin' nails, plasterin' and paintin'. Lots of work but so much fun too. Actually got real dirty and tired. Very satisfyin'. I met some real cool folks and ate some real good vittles brought in by townsfolk. All the work was bein' done by volunteers and the place looks real nice now. I'm done here in Macon and will be headin' for New Orleans tonight. As of now I'm scheduled to be there for three weeks. I've never worked there before so I'm lookin' forward to some new surroundings. I've been in and around N'awrlins several times on vacation and such, but have never worked the hospitals there. Yeah JD (I can feel what you're thinkin' my friend). I know how tough and mean N'awrlins can be. I promise to be real careful, stay outta the bad areas and keep my high caliber friend handy. My daddy has the same concerns for this trip but said he knows I can be smart about bein' in the cities and he knows he and Jay have taught me well on handlin' the pea shooter I have along.I took my little 520 with me one evenin' and showed off for all the folks workin' on the kids ward. Now that was fun. Everyone was tickled with watchin' it flit around the place. I had to make myself put it away and get some work done. The guy that was organizing the work there is a plane pilot and flies RCs too. He and his wife were thrilled to see a gal flying a heli. He said he always wanted to try helis but never found time or money. I showed him several websites where he can get little helis cheap to start with and he thinks he's gonna try one like mine. Hopefully we'll have another convert soon. Talked to Jay on the phone just before wirtin' this and he says to tell y'all hello. He's been working every day for awhile for the railroad and puttin' in 12 hour days. He said he took the T Rex out for some flyin' yesterday evenin' and had some fun. The wind came up there again though and cut his time out there short. It's a bad time of year there for the wind and that frustrates him a lot. But, he's doin' good and lovin' the work he's doin'. Gonna go for now and get packed for the drive. I'll be on the road all night.See y'all soon and please be happy, healthy and stay just like you are.Donica
Old 05-16-2009, 10:11 PM
matty_p80

helllloooooo!

sorry for the long gap in communications! the s**t really hit the fan here as PADI now have me on a Q.C. investigation due to some accusations made! so i basically can't do anything apart from sit in the shop or fill tanks as they've put me on "non-teaching status" until the Q.C. board have heard my case on the 21st May!!

unfortunately have also just said goodbye to my brother and sister in law and put them on the plane back to Blighty after their 2 week stay! really good to see them though, especially at this time and even better to be able to say "we'll see you in a couple of months"  !!!! bad bit is they've taken my heli home for me in a nice new ally case they brought over, so i have no heli to use as stress relief!!! well, you never know i may get up to Donica's standard on the sim!???????

speaking of whom, did you get a listen to any of the Blues in Macon, Donica? from what i could gather in our brief visit there, it being quite a hub for the genre!

Jay, glad you've got work dude! we, as a company and island are extremely quiet! we're running maybe one boat a day with sometimes as few as two people onboard!

Mr. J.D.: how is ya sir? good to hear your gigs are still a cert.! 26 degrees of pitch travel!!!!! wow! that's a serious head set up! don't think my poor little E-Flite outrunner would cope with that, it would probably be waving the white flag after the first ballistic lift off! hee hee

to everyone else who reads this, thankyou for your kind words and thoughts on my current situation! i have a very good woman behind me and the love of a beautiful daughter along with very good friends who've helped me keep my sanity in a very illogical series of events and hopefully in the very near future i will be back to my old bouncy self!

as usual, it is always a good 'off-gas' to talk with you guys!

hope everyone gets some good air time in

Matty )<>}}}}]@>

Old 05-18-2009, 03:35 AM
David867

Bet you can't wait to fly that Gaui!!! It wants to fly, let it free and if it comes back to you, you know it's truly yours, if it doesn't, it never did. Have fun at the fly-in!

Hope everyone can enjoy some nice weather and fly high!

Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
dooleyje

Hey all. The Gaui is finished. I have not flown it yet and plan to do so tomorrow.

The fly-in was great. I got to hob-nob with Curtis Youngblood and several other pros. If you have a chance to see these guys fly the smoothness is awsome. When they do 3D you do not see the jerky bale out looking 3D that you see me or else where. AND LOW head high most of the time. We did get the pleasure of seeing the big boys pile a couple in including Curtis, twice. See, we all do it so don't despair. We had a couple of receiver lock outs so we are not sure what happen. With 5 flightlines running you never know. Funny, only helicopters were affected.... UUUMMMM. As Curtise said: Yep, i dumped it!!. We all DON'T blame radio falureLOL As a note, Mr. Youngblood checks evry singlr bolt andevery inch of his helis before every flight.. Lesson learned! He also had a couple of Rave 450 helis. Wow, makes the Align products look like cheap toys. Speaking of Align. Thenew 450 pro is out and issuper nice. The carbon frames arebeefer. The servo mounting insures same length control rods but are the devil to install and the heli is not repair friendly as far as the SE. To install or remove the servos you have to removeframe parts to get at the screws. YUCK. The Tail has a little slop in it and it has a single slide ball on the tail shaft and that was a disappointment. The tail uses a torgue tube and that is a plus and it is very smooth. athe main shaft does not use a top collar. It has a welded ring built into theshaft. You have to install shimes to tighten up theshaft mounting. The head, tail, swash and all the rest of the metal parts are awsome. The beefy frame is very narrow and the canopy is new style looking good. I saw it fly and it is super smooth and banging in the hands of the pros. The tail servo mounts on a plate that is located between the frame in the rear and give a better straight through run for the control rod. The motor and controller are different. The heli reminds me of a shrunk 500/600.

Jim
Old 05-18-2009, 07:20 PM
flyerbug686

Whoops!
Old 05-18-2009, 07:26 PM
flyerbug686

Hi all,

Jim and anyone else.

Im up to having 11 Lipo battery packs and I find that my Tritan Jr isnt working fast enough for me. So as you might expect, Im shopping around for a second charger. It should be able to do more than one pack at once. One of my buddies has an ElectricFly Poly Charge4. He has been using that charger exclusively for many years and claims that it works without any problems.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701353.asp

Anyone have any experience with this chrger, or brushed elbows with anyone that has? Also, what other multy pack chargers would you recomend. Value is great, but I like leliable performance. Thanks for your input.

Here is a video David posted from two weeks ago. Kinda long, but you may get a kick out of it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i0e5AcRxGQ

Flyerbug

Old 05-18-2009, 10:10 PM
dooleyje

Bug, Hyperion is a good-un , pricey and so is Cellpro 10. How low are you taking your batteries down?. The charger you are inquiring about does not give you much control and only a power source and you will still need balancers. For the price of a TT610 you can get 2 Cell pro4 chargers and enjoy great care of your batteries. I am still using my 4 original Batteries with well over 200 cycles with no puffing and the cells are all 4.20 vlts at balanced charge. I use a total of 8 batteries. I limit my flying time to only burn 80%. I charge 2 batteries and have six more to fly. I only charge at 1C about 35-40 minutes. I now have 40 cycles on my Flightmax Zippies and they are still going strong.
Jim
Old 05-18-2009, 10:55 PM
flyerbug686

Hey Jim,

Im taking my batteries into low voltage cut of. I fly for about 6-7 minutes on one Rhino 25C 2250mah, pretty agrressively. Good point. I should not drain my packs to that level, its probably killing my batteries.

I was also looking at the hyprion EOS061I. Ouch! That thing costs way too much as sweet as it is. Dont think I want to spend that much.

Thanks for yor recomendations. I will take a closer look at the cell pro4.

Bug

Old 05-19-2009, 08:35 AM
dooleyje

Nice flying Bug. Is that a different field? Looks like a nice place.

Jim
Old 05-20-2009, 08:14 AM
one thumb

Hi to you all!

Yesterday I had (for me) a major accomplishment.

In my last post I had asked:“When I power up the Heli, (move “B” switch away from me with the “A” switch away), it starts at about 400 or so RPM…”.

Jim said: “It should not take off 400 rpm without input from you.” 

So I took apart the transmitter and reset the potentiometer for the throttle control. Now when I power up the TX and flip “B” switch there are no blades spinning until I move the stick up.

Jim, is this next question the normal operation?

Motor off, all sticks seem to be articulating Swash Plate and rear rotor the way they should, but only one blade changes pitch with throttle movement.

If a picture will help what detail should I capture?

Thanks for the advice.

Karl
Old 05-20-2009, 08:24 AM
dooleyje

Karl, the movement of one blade when moving the stick could be that the non-moving side is a little stiffer. Hold the blade that move while moving the stick and the other blade should move. If not you have a problem, possibly blades grip too tight or jusdt the rubber damper too dry, ball link too snug. Need a picture of the head,swash, blades. Also tail rotor. Which direction does the main rotor turn when you run it up? Same with the tail, what direction ?

Jim
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 AM
flyerbug686

Thanks Jim.

That is a new field David and I found. Its great.Close to home and nobody is ever there on the weekend. Its great for the fixed wing aswell. So I've been looking at the cell pro 4 and the Cellpro 10S.. Im unclear if I can chargetwo 3s lipos at the same time, and start them at different times. In other words, does it work as 2 indipendant chargers in one. If it does, I have a winner and for only10 bucks more, than buying twoCP4.This way I will have room to mature into larger power needs, like my future TREX 500. I havent had the time to do all the research yet.

Hahaha! You watched the YouTube post. Finally flying helis is getting to be fun. I havent crashed in over a year. I try to leave the box ever so subtely, meaning I in troduce new moves very slowly.

Time to research.

Hi Jay, Donica and the rest of ya'l.

Over and out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.