Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends

Community
Search
Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 08:35 AM
JNohsey
My Feedback: (28)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Spoiler/Big Boy family and friends

Randy, that was our plan to make you hungry> HAHAHAH!!!!!!

How are you doing???
Old 01-20-2009, 08:44 AM
randy racer
My Feedback: (3)

IT WORKED!! i am doing great just kicking back waiting for spring. i have been doing some mini z racing and just built a 1/8 scale buggy. still waiting for the spoilers to get built so i will have somthing to fly this spring.
i have a power expander pro for sell and a few other giant scale parts if any of you need anything drop me a line.

rr
Old 01-20-2009, 09:52 AM
JNohsey

PM sent Randy
Old 01-26-2009, 08:14 AM
dougwill

Whoo! You boys from Union City know how to do it right. Great looking steaks. How about sharing that marinade and freezing process. Right now I would trade a steak for a couple nice flying days here in Ohio. 2 degrees right now.
Wish those Spoilers would come thru. That money is burning a hole in my pocket and I need to start getting something ready for spring. Either a Spoiler or Balsa Nova maybe. I know it won't fly like the Spoiler. Thanks to all you guys here on the Spoiler/BigBoy Fam. web page.

Doug
Old 01-26-2009, 05:36 PM
JNohsey

Doug it is just a cheap steak marinade mixed with zesty italian dressing, we let the steaks set over night. and vacuum them.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:09 AM
dougwill

Jim
Probably should come down there and try one before investing alot of money in doing my own (steaks).
This is the same logic I use to justify my flying purchases. Is this winter ever going to end? 5 to 10 inches of snow expected here thru today.

Doug
Old 03-31-2009, 11:51 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Moved back into ARF forum. No idea why this was moved to our holding tank. I am sorry gentleman. I just caught this now. Please continue as you were.

marc
Old 04-02-2009, 09:05 PM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: RCadmin

Moved back into ARF forum. No idea why this was moved to our holding tank. I am sorry gentleman. I just caught this now. Please continue as you were.

marc
Hi Marc,

Thanks for returning this to the operational threads. There is now a bunch of pics, some video, a color assembly manual, and more info on the Spoiler ARF on the site at:

http://www.eastrc.org/estorespoiler.htm

The video shows an O.S. 1.20 piped version and an electric version in action, flown by Chris Hockaday, Larry Lewis, and Robert Vess. These have been flown with a wide range of power-plants, and one is being flown locally with an O.S. 1.60 piped setup. I've been flying the 1st prototype since last summer, and LOVE IT!

We've worked through every manufacturing, assembly, setup, and flight scenario we could throw at it over the last 1-1/2 years of pre-production development. Converting a stick-type structure to a design that is similar in weight and strength from ply is quite a job, but we've worked through all of the issues and a great airframe has emerged. The kit is now supplied with nice metal 1/4 scale hardware like that shipped with the popular 1/4 scale Yaks, a carbon fiber wing tube, heavy-duty tempered aluminum landing gear, 3.5" main wheels, improved tail wheel assembly, and much more. The final model has all of the surfaces pre-slotted and ready to assemble, has a 2-piece bolt-on wing for easier transport, an easily removable bottom battery hatch, and several inprovements to improve strength. The fuse is an interlocking laser-cut ply design that is strong _and_ light. Team JR's Larry Lewis has built two, and can easily do it in 1 night.

There have been several iterations of prototypes and many thousands of dollars spent, to make sure this project was a sucess. We're now _very_ happy with the result. The Spoiler ARFs have weighed in between 9.5 and 11 lbs, depending on power plant and other variables. While I'm sure we could shave more weight off with selection of equipment...there really isn't much difference in performance in this weight range. I know there is always arguement on this front, but the wing loading is so light already, all of the prototypes have flown great in this range.

These will be shipping from our shop in early May (or before, depending on delivery). We are taking pre-orders at this time at www.EastRC.org . The first production batch has 100 units. There are already many people on the list that has been growing over the last 1.5 years. If any of you want one of this batch, please pre-order. We will let you know immediately if you have missed out on the first load.

We will be stocking every part of these ARFs for replacement, in the event (and we know you will!) you should fly too closely to the flame. You can also direct any questions about these birds directly to me at [email protected] .

Dave
Old 04-12-2009, 05:24 PM
SU29
My Feedback: (20)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Dave for the update, I have one on order. My plan was to use a YS 140 or 160 which I have on hand however with the price of glow fuel I am considering using a small gas engine ( 26 or 40cc) and was curious if you have any test information using a gas engine and what the setup/results and recommendation would be.

Thanks

Jeff

Can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Old 04-13-2009, 06:13 AM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: SU29
Thanks Dave for the update, I have one on order. My plan was to use a YS 140 or 160 which I have on hand however with the price of glow fuel I am considering using a small gas engine ( 26 or 40cc) and was curious if you have any test information using a gas engine and what the setup/results and recommendation would be.
Thanks
Jeff
Can't wait to get my hands on this one!
Hi Jeff,

I'm familiar with the Spoiler setup with a 26cc gas...it flys OK, but the performance is a little better on glow. Guys are flying the prototypes on 1.20 glow (piped and unpiped), 1.60 glow (piped), and electric... and the power is great.

Dave
Old 04-15-2009, 05:29 AM
SU29

Thanks Dave, I have also received an email from Chris and he has been very helpful to regarding the use of a gas engine. The performance with a gas engine is a concern along with fuel cost.

If you come across any more info that you can share regarding any testing with a small gas engine please let us all know.

Thanks

Jeff
Old 04-18-2009, 08:06 AM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: SU29

Thanks Dave, I have also received an email from Chris and he has been very helpful to regarding the use of a gas engine. The performance with a gas engine is a concern along with fuel cost.

If you come across any more info that you can share regarding any testing with a small gas engine please let us all know.

Thanks

Jeff

Will do. We'll be testing with gas, but we were limited on the number of prototypes we could hack up during testing and manufacturing refinement. Chris is flying one with electric power that will hang with a piped OS 1.20 2c for about 8 minutes! If you go to:

http://www.eastrc.org/estorespoiler.htm

...and watch the video closely, you'll see (and hear) the electric version. Chris hasn't worked on increasing battery size to lengthen flight times, but he'll put it through the paces for about 8 minutes with no problems.

I'll post info when we get a gas version tested.

Dave
Old 04-18-2009, 09:49 AM
SU29

Dave, thanks for the update, I will stick with my original plan and wait on some testing results.

Jeff
Old 04-19-2009, 06:49 AM
randy racer

it is good to see that rcu found this lost thread and gave it back to us.
it is even better news to hear the spoilers are coming soon. i am looking forward to flying a spoiler again, it is hard to find a better all around flying plane.

please keep us posted

randy
Old 04-19-2009, 07:36 AM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: randy racer

it is good to see that rcu found this lost thread and gave it back to us.
it is even better news to hear the spoilers are coming soon. i am looking forward to flying a spoiler again, it is hard to find a better all around flying plane.

please keep us posted

randy

Will do, Randy. In the very last update we added a carbon wing tube to cut over 1/2lb in weight, had the landing gear tempered, modified the lower hatch to be closed with magnets and added a couple of velcro restraints to the lower battery tray for the electric pilots, and switched all hardware to the metal 1/4 scale stuff like in the 1/4 scale yaks we sell.

What wheel size does everyone prefer?? I'm running 3" wheels, and it seems to be about right to me.

Dave
Old 04-19-2009, 03:01 PM
randy racer

tweek, 1/2 poud off sounds good and the hatch should be a big help to the elect guys for sure. 3 inch wheels should be fine to.

rr
Old 05-03-2009, 04:27 PM
FlyBy8
My Feedback: (1)

Does anybody know if Morris Hobbies is still in business????

I ordered a Jerrys Big Boy Kit from them 4/21, but have not heard a word. I tried phoning them and left a message. Tried emailing them to get an order staus update, but no response. The order history on their web site just says Pending.

Anyone have a Jerrys Big Boy kit for sale?

Must have another Big Boy in the air soon....
Old 05-24-2009, 03:47 PM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

I see that Eastrc is about to release the "Spoilers" soon. I put four more flights on my "Big Boy" this past Friday. WayneM.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:46 AM
randy racer

good to hear from you waynem, east rc said that the spoilers are almost here and should be ready to ship in a few days. i hope it works out because i am spoiler less and have been for a while. i have not been flying very much this spring due to weather, plane shortage, and racing off road rc cars but plan on burning a bunch of fuel when the spoilers get here.

rr
Old 05-26-2009, 10:35 AM
waynem
My Feedback: (58)

Thanks Randy, I let a friend fly my Big Boy this spring and he got on the list for one of the Spoilers. After I fly his plane, when he get it. I may have to put my name on the list. Wayne M.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:45 AM
F-16WpnsTech

Are the Spoilers shipping yet?
Old 06-08-2009, 06:14 AM
Tweek

ORIGINAL: F-16WpnsTech
Are the Spoilers shipping yet?
I just posted an update to the site, we're hoping to see these in house any time now. Been a long wait... Everything else is ready, so we can pack the manuals and get them out as soon as they hit the dock.

Dave
Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 AM
randy racer

they are getting close, i can feel it! it has beed a very very very long wait but it will be worth it.

i haven't been doing much flying this year, mostly racing off road rc stuff but i have everything to go into the spoiler and 2 gal of fuel ready to burn.

randy
Old 06-10-2009, 04:17 PM
Dewane

Would a Saito 150 be enough for good pull out
Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 AM
randy racer

i think the 150 should do fine. i have seen several spoilers running 120 2 strokes and i had a ys 140 on one and they did a good job. i still love my trusty OS 160 fx fo stupid power

rr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.