Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

RC Surfer

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Simulcaster
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: RC Surfer

I am starting the build on my NQD Lisa with my son. It did not even work out of the box, but since we were gutting it anyway no big deal. This thread has been very helpful.
I am stumped with how to attach the feet. I notice in some pictures, additional foot straps are used. Does locking down the swaying motion hinder the ride at all? Or does torque and speed keep it straight?

I wish there would be a revival of this cool sport. Living in South Florida this is a great way to spend the day with the kids when the surf isn't big enough to ride and the fish are not biting.

Also, I don't see the 4xAA reciever battery pack in some pictures?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:46 PM
surfcurls
Banned

The Feet On The NQD Come Attatched already...

The Stocks dont use the 4 AA Battery Harness. They Are used when you use an older ESC with No BEC.

Surfcurls Has Replacement parts for these if needed.
Old 01-09-2009, 05:49 PM
Simulcaster

Surfcurls,
Thanks for the info. the FAQ on your site has been very help as well. The stock mounts on the feet are shabby at best. The rear foot was stripped on mine when it arrived. I found the screw stuck to the motor when I opened the deck. I am striving for a modified NQD that will hold up in 2-3 foot surf and has a good chance of surviving a 5 foot swell. My research has taught me that for this to happen the only thing left stock is the board and motor mount. Lisa is one tough gal but her feet need a little strengthening.
Old 01-09-2009, 11:27 PM
surfcurls
Banned

What We Do At Our Factory, Is Foam The Surfer Figure With Expandable Plumbers Foam. This Seals All The Body Joints, And Strenthens The Foot Harnesses.

This Foam Also Helps For Bouancy Factors On Wipe Outs To Help Self Right The Figuire.

A Simple Fix Is To "Super Glue" The White Footing Can's To The Surfer's Foot. You Will Have To Remove The Figure From The Deck To Do So, But It's A Simple Process.

To Foam The Body, Get A Drill Bit Large Enough For The Straw Size Of The Foam Can. Drill (1) Hole At The Back Of The Figure, At The Top Of The Zipper Seam Of The "Wetsuit".

Next Drill A Hole Under Each Footing White Can and Fill All (3) Holes With Foam. DO NOT OVER FILL, as This Stuff Expands.

This Will Work !

John
Surcurls

Old 01-28-2009, 02:53 PM
Simulcaster

Does any one have any specs on what exactly and where to buy a new drive system? I am trying to piece together the stock NQD and cannot get the brass nut off of the stock motor. I have seen the octura cable set ups on other sites but no specifics.

Thanks!!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:30 PM
surfcurls
Banned

you can find the drive system here for the NQD and also fits Kyosho

http://www.surfcurls.com/OUR__STORE.php
Old 05-07-2009, 02:54 PM
vespageoff

hi all, just bought nqd rc surfer i have a problem with the rudder to much slop any help welcome . this is the standard rudder
Old 05-12-2009, 04:51 AM
Joe_Cool

Hello to everone,

I´m from germany and have for several years two NQD Surfer. One is stock and one is moded, but not completed at all.
Now I reseived a Board Sharks Surfer Dude from the US. I think I´m the only one in germay who owed one!
Sadly it has the same steering problem as nearly all Board Sharks Surfer have. The gear on the motor
broke, BUT...

befor to buy any new from ebay I take a look in my gearbox and found a perfekt fit!
To all how have a Board Sharks Surfer and have the same problem. Find a Kyosho
Mini-Z Motor gear with nine teeth ether out of Polyamid or aluminium. They will
fit perfectly.
Mine, I only have to drill up a little, because the motor axel is 2mm and the
hole in the gear is only half way through 1,9mm. The rest is 1,1mm to use on a
Mini-Z motor. So just drill a 1,9mm hole through the whole gear and put it on
the motor axel.

The three screws I marked in one picture with a red arrow are a little bit thicker then the rest, so please put them away seperatly. Otherwise you will mess up the gearcase when you rescrew them back!

Works great now

See attached pictures for reference.
Hope it´s useful for someone.

Best wishes and a good surf

Joe
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82852.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1196743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq51030.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	1196744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jp32149.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	1196745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qj19687.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1196746   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mx24688.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	1196747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yp92396.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1196748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qt30700.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	1196749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ih25498.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	139.5 KB
ID:	1196750  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Xw35643.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	1196751  
Old 05-16-2009, 11:51 AM
mr. miyagi

OK....here we are almost have way through 2009 and it seem that this post goes way far back. Hopefully someone cangive some expert advice. I just bought an NQD Surfer Lisa and I want to MODITTOTHEMAX. I have some questions about the LATESTANDGREATESTtechnology for mods. Here we go....

1.) Is it possible to use Spetrum radio technology. Will you still be able to get signal even though the 2.4receiever is mounted inside the board with no antenna?
2.)If I wanted the best MOTOR, ESC, SERVO, ETC....what would they be? (latest and greatest stuff only please)
3.) Is it a better idea to use a 3 or 4 cell lipo versus nicd or nm batteries?
4.) What are all the drive-train modifications that need to be made? (shaft, coupling, prop, etc.)
5.) If a NQD is modded to the max....is it possible to be just as good as the Kyosho?

thanks in advance guys.
Old 05-17-2009, 02:12 AM
surfcurls
Banned

One Thing For Sure, It Will Be Better Than A Kyosho In One Way. Parts Are Still Available For NQD
Kyosho Parts Are Getting hard to find, as I Am A Kyosho & NQD Dealer For RC Surfers.

For Example, The Kyosho Bi Fin and Motor Mount Are Out Of Production.

Surfcurls.com Still Has Some Parts, But Once They're Gone, They're Gone.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:12 PM
jocktime

Don't forget to fiber glass a few strips of lead to the keal.

Name:	Hf97751.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1206060   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gb89076.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	425.1 KB
ID:	1206061   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83856.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1206062  
Old 05-26-2009, 08:17 AM
LONGBOARDT3

Good morning from Spain.
I see that you practice a lot with rc surfer.me like information on where to buy rc surfer on the web. since it is a pleasure to greet the other side of the Atlantic.
thank for all
Old 05-26-2009, 01:43 PM
TechyJoe

Hi mr. miyagi

I too have recently purchased an NQD Surfer Lisa and am also looking to hop this thing up.  Right out of the box, she doesn't work very well.  So maybe we can share some info here and hopefully others will join in and help us out.

I am planning to upgrade to a Brushless motor and to upgrade the radio as well.  Sorry, I can't answer your question about the Spectrum Radio you want to use. I am planning to use a standard 27Mhz AM car radio. However, I am looking to purchase a 4000kv 540 size brushless motor and a speed controller to match (today).  I am looking at the EZ-Run 8.5T/4000kv and an 11.1v Lipo battery pack.  This should give Lisa really good RPM.  I have read that the stock propeller should work ok but that you need to cut off the existing plastic motor to shaft coupler and replace it with a Graupner 3346 coupler.  I have also read that some lead should be added to the bilge so Lisa rights herself better and that you should fill the Lisa body with plumbers foam.   Please keep me posted on your findings and I shall do the same. 

The summer is here so I would like to get my Surfer going within the next two weeks.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:41 AM
Simulcaster

Finally this thread is coming back to life! I have ben bouncing between a Lisa and a Board Shark. Lisa is my full project and has not hit the water yet. I have been using the Shark to test electrics. There is alot of great advice on here so make sure you read all the pages. I used babelfish to translate some of the external sites which helped alot and Pablo answers email! My advice. Go brushless from the beginning. Make sure you choose a setup that allows the best cooling jacket you can find. It gets so hot i have had the solder break loose, the motor mount plastic start to melt. This was with the board shark and only one intake/outflow. Lisa should work better with 2 i/o's

I have run a orion 19t and a speed gems 17. the 17 I only ran for a few minutes it was fast but warmed up pretty quick. The 19 is the sweet spot but cooling it down inside the closed compartment is an issue. I am going brushless as soon as i figure out what to get.
The EZRuns are nice but after shipping they are not much cheaper than the other systems out there.

I have also added a futaba 3pm 2.4. the distance is so much better you can catch the outside sets without worrying about paddling out to get it.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:21 AM
Simulcaster

Jock which esc/motor combo is that? looks like a feagio with the purple housing.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:36 PM
TechyJoe

Hi All

I took my Lisa Surfer apart last night to begin my hop-up.  Here is what I found and did: First, it appears that the new Lisa Surfer has a plastic steering fin.  It sounded to me like in the past, this fin was metal?. 

It also has a plastic box which held the original electrics (not sure if the older ones had this or not). I will continue to use this box to hold the new electrics. Also, I  painted all of my metal screws with clear rust proof acrylic paint and  coated the seals and the screws with a thin layer of Vaseline (this should help the seal be more air tight and keep the water off). 

Next, I found Lisa's head to be loose so I needed to glue this in place.  I am now in the process of replacing the servo with a stock full size servo from a 27Mhz car radio and receiver.  In order to install the new servo, I needed to cut off the thin plastic ridge servo holder where the front of the original servo sat because my new servo's servo arm was hitting this ridge.  I then inserted the new servo and glued it in place with 5 minute epoxy and replaced the plastic retaining bar back over this with the original screws.

Now on to the motor: The stock motor has a male hex coupler on the motor shaft end which then fits into a female hex adapter on the propeller shaft end.  I intend to replace this motor with a 540 size brushless and an 18-25 amp ESC. This morning I did some Googling and found some hex adapters which may work (in place of the Graupner 3346 mentioned in a previous thread).  Please, would someone look at these and see if they may work as a replacement.  I'll try to attach some pictures of my progress once I figure out how to do this.

Here is the link for the motor coupler.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=68

Old 05-27-2009, 11:02 PM
jocktime

Aloha Simulcaster,
Feigao 540 S Brushless Motor
X-Power Brushless 100a Esc Computer programable
I use the extra power for big waves, the lead on the keel adds more weight,
but the speedof themotor and extra keel weight gives you the power
to crash through the white water in big surf in Hawaii.
Also, you must extend the fin at least 3 qtrs inch for more control at high speeds.
My videos are at http://www.youtube.com/user/Maui********
I have modified Lisa's and board Sharks and I say Board Shark hands down
Unless, you build completly from scrach like in some of my videos.
These are my two big wave boards.Jock

Name:	Us54097.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	1207498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu66104.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	1207499  
Old 05-28-2009, 02:16 AM
LONGBOARDT3

ORIGINAL: LONGBOARDT3

Good morning from Spain.
I see that you practice a lot with rc surfer.me like information on where to buy rc surfer on the web. since it is a pleasure to greet the other side of the Atlantic.
thank for all
can anyone help me?
If you do not find to buy I was wondering if anyone has done at home ... someone has drawings or sketches for the table?
photos and measurements of the table?
any help would be very good
greetings from Spain

Old 05-28-2009, 09:34 AM
TechyJoe

More mods:<o></o>

Ok, the On/Off switch: This is a very, very poor design! On my one and only outing with the stock Lisa surfer, the third wave, which knocked her over, also switched off the power switch. This switch is a push button toggle (the worst possible design selection)and the wave pushed the switch to the off position. Luckily I was in shallow water and did not need to go swimming in 55 degree water to get it. So, I am going to bypass this switch all together in my modified version.<o></o>

Motor Cooling Tubes: next, I noticed that the water cooling tubes for the water intake and output ports are stretched to tight to the horizontal of the board which is pinching the tubes closed and I would presume impede cooling to the motor. This is analogues to taking your garden hose and bending it - no water flow. So, I wrapped the bottom portion of the tubes closest to the intake and output port holes with some electrical tape to give then more support so that they do not bend. I also moved the hose clamps closer to the intake and output ports so that the tubes now have a more arched appearance. <o></o>

Stay tuned for more later.<o></o>

Old 05-28-2009, 09:35 AM
TechyJoe

Some pictures of the motor coupling, the stripped board and the cooling tube mods.

Name:	Tr51239.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1207671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72794.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1207672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vb73710.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	1207673  
Old 05-28-2009, 09:51 AM
TechyJoe

jocktime

Do you think the weight can be added inside the board hull under the motor and not on the outside, underneath of the board? I am experimenting with this.<o></o>

Old 05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
vespageoff

hi all, just bought nqd rc surfer i have a problem with the rudder to much slop any help welcome . this is the standard
Old 05-28-2009, 02:51 PM
TechyJoe

vespageoff

Try replacing all of the radio equipment with real RC gradeproportional equipment. The stock equipment is very poor grade.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:30 PM
jocktime

TechyJoe,
I have tried many times with the Lisa and board sharks to put lead inside,
I figured that was the easy way out but it's not.First, their is not enough room
to get the right weight. Secondly, you don't get proper displacement and balance.
If you really want to have fun with these Surfers you need the speed and
power of abrushless motor and the weight and balance from the keel to not
get pushed around in the surf. If you can get out past the breakers quickly by
out running them and you can out run close out setsyou save battery witch
means more runtime. To me thats what it all about
more runtime more fun.......Jocktime
Old 05-29-2009, 02:07 AM
LONGBOARDT3

Good morning from Spain.
thank for all

If you do not find to buy I was wondering if anyone has done at home ... someone has drawings or sketches for the table?
photos and measurements of the table?
any help would be very good
greetings from Spain

can anyone help me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.